Joomal 1.5 and PHP 5.4

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
nguyenhuynh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomal 1.5 and PHP 5.4

Post by nguyenhuynh » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:49 am

Hi all ,

My webhost (1and1) just informed me that they are upgrading to PHP 5.4 early next year, and that PHP 4 / 5.2 will be discontinued from their end. As they have the option to upgrade to PHP 5.4 earlier and revert (for testing purposes to see if websites continue to function properly), I saw that all instances of Joomla 1.5 stopped working in new PHP 5.4, so at the moment I continue sticking to php 5.2

So i was wondering if there is any patch for this issue or if someone has a solution.

Please help me resolve this issue

We are looking and hearing from you

Thank a lot for you support

Nguyen

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomal 1.5 and PHP 5.4

Post by ranwilli » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:10 am

Resolution = 1. New Host or 2. Migrate to 2.5
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:38 am

1.5 is end of life, it will not be fixed to work on php 5.4 by the Joomla project. Like Ranwilli says, PHP 5.2 is the way to go.

ern1001
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ern1001 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi Nguyen,
I unfortunately also have a joomla 1.5 website hosted at 1&1. They are forcing us to change to php5.4 .
Unfortunately, we don't have an option of moving to a different web host. We are working on migrating to joomla 2.5, but it is a lot of work and will take some time.

We did, however, get our joomla 1.5 website at 1&1 to (mostly) work with php 5.4 as follows:
1) Update your joomla 1.5 site to the latest version

2) Update or turn-off components and extensions that don't work with php5.4 . We had to update Community Builder, SH404SEF, Fireboard, JDownloads, Extplorer, etc.

3) To eliminate php5.4 warnings, we updated the php.ini file in the joomla root folder and in the administrator folder as follows:
Comment out this line:
url_rewriter.tags = “a=href,area=href,frame=src,form=fakeentry,fieldset=”;
Add these lines:
error_reporting = (E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_WARNING);
display_errors = off;

lixinletterbox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lixinletterbox » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 pm

I have the same issue with 1and1, we did some customization. How easy or hard to upgrade joomla! from 1.5 to 2.5? can you please advise some guidance? is it a days or weeks or months work?

ern1001
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ern1001 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm

I used the J2XML importer http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tion/15807 to export all the articles and users from the joomla 1.5 site into a new Joomla 2.5 site. Be sure to not include the demo content when installing joomla 2.5 - saves you the trouble of deleting it all later.

So then it is a matter of finding a joomla 2.5 template that you like, setting up the menus, and installing the joomla 2.5 extensions that you need, se

The overall time - It depends on how big your joomla 1.5 site is and how many extensions, etc that you have installed. For our smaller site, I'm figuring about 40 hours or so of work.
The free J2XML extension saved hours and hours of time by allowing all of the content and users to import easily into the new joomla 2.5 site.

lixinletterbox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lixinletterbox » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me, very helpful.

lixinletterbox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lixinletterbox » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi, ern1001

I tried to install J2XML, and export/import users, it works fine as what I expected. The only issue for users is, we have over 8k users, when I change the number of users to all, it was never returned to me. So, I have to change it to 100, doing so means I have to do 80 times export/import. I'm not sure if I did it right.

The most important questions I have is, when I tried to export/import articles, do I need to export/import sections and categories first? when I tried to export sections/categories, it simply show nothing and no save-to-file windows. when I tried to import articles without importing sections/categories, it always brought me to login page, and after I typed admin/password, it shows me the import page without the banner menus, and I can't see and can't do any thing except logout.

I did wrong some where?

ern1001
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ern1001 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi,
I just exported the articles from the joomla 1.5 site all at once, and then imported them all at once into Joomla 2.5 . It automatically created the categories for me in Joomla 2.5 when I did that. I selected the option to keep the ID's the same as with the 1.5 site.

After importing everything, then you need to setup your menus - I don't know of any way to export/import those. So that was a manual step for me.

There is a help forum at the J2XML author's website and I recall seeing that if you have a lot of users, you need to break it up into exports, rather than trying one huge export.

lixinletterbox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lixinletterbox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

I tried to import the articles, but it always bring me to login page, after login, all menus/buttons disappeared, except logout and view site. there is no message or error message. that is what you expect to see? I just tried a dozen articles under one section/category.

by the way, I login as admin. is there any special privilege I should set?

lixinletterbox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lixinletterbox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:18 pm

I found out what's happening. there is a funny character in an article, removed that, every thing goes smoothly. I imported all articles successfully, some categories are not created because of errors, but most of them are success. Thank you very much!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”