Article number of visits

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
RMCJ
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Article number of visits

Post by RMCJ » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:34 am

Hello Joomla Comunity,

We are supporting our web pages based on Joomla platform for many years (developed by outside web developer); we can say we are satisfied customer.

Short question (as a user not a developer). Is it possible to get from the platform additional data about the past visits? In article section there is the sum data about the # visits. What I would have a use of is info about number of visits on specific date for several years back (Visits #; date). I can imagine the number is not stored but is each time calculated from the DB records.

I would need this data for one of the articles for the several years (2011-present, No Visits, Date). Is this in any way obtainable from the system? Asking too much?

Anyway any feed-back would be appreciated. All the best.
Tnxs.
R

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Article number of visits

Post by itoctopus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Actually, the number of hits is stored in each #__content row and is updated on every visit. Other than that, stats data is not stored anywhere on a Joomla website. You will need to use a 3rd party tool such as Google Analytics in order to get this data. Note that Google Analytics will only generate the data from when it was first installed on the website.

There are also some server tools that can do that, such as AWStats - but working with them is painful and they're not as good as Google Analytics as they literally count any traffic to the website.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

RMCJ
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Article number of visits

Post by RMCJ » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. Sadly, not what I was hoping for :( .
(I am familiar with the Google Analytics - unfortunately I am looking for the past data.)

br

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”