Strange character in IE11

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Webbmary
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Strange character in IE11

Post by Webbmary » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:48 pm

Our custormer always gets an odd sign "Â" when she edit an article. She is using Joolma 1.5. Any ideas (exept upgrading) ??? ??? ???

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Strange character in IE11

Post by itoctopus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:54 pm

Can't reproduce the problem here - using IE 11.0.9600.18125

This weird A character is typically an encoding issue somewhere... Still, I'm not sure why your client is seeing the problem and others can't. The HTML doesn't contain anything that might cause this.

In any case, here's a way to solve this problem: Create multiple HTML copies of the page, each with less HTML content than the other and ask your client to visit these pages. Once he stops seeing the problem, then the problem is in the HTML "difference" between the previous HTML page and the current HTML page. Let me know if you need clarification here.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:57 pm

1) Are you running Joomla 1.5.26?

2) On what php version?

Issues like this is usually caused by a bad plugin.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 pm

itoctopus wrote:Can't reproduce the problem here - using IE 11.0.9600.18125
We can't reproduce the issue because we're not logged into the website (in order to perform frontend editing).
itoctopus wrote:This [Â] character is typically an encoding issue somewhere ...
I agree. The character is probably generated within some CSS; there's probably a font-family declaration missing or the required font is not being loaded by IE11; remember, different browsers sometimes need different fall-back font files. Should be fairly simple to find the element that's creating the character with a web browser inspection tool—there's one built-into IE 11.

I don't often involve myself with J! 1.5 because of the countless problems they cause. Having written that, this particular issue should be fairly straightforward (at a guess).
Webbmary wrote:... using Joolma 1.5. Any ideas (except upgrading) ...
What's preventing the owner of the website from migrating to J! 3.6.5 apart from the willingness to do so (before the site is hacked and/or removed by the webhost) or the investment of some time and money?

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”