Joomla 1.5 not allowing me to add a web link

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
MBMurdock
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 1.5 not allowing me to add a web link

Post by MBMurdock » Thu May 18, 2017 9:34 pm

I just tried to add a simple web link to a page in my client's Joomla 1.5 website. This is something I've never had a problem with before, so I'm stumped.

I've highlighted the text I want to attach the link too, clicked on the "Link" icon, pasted the link into the "Link URL" box, and clicked the box so the link opens in a new page (it doesn't matter if I do this or not).

Finally, I click "Insert", and the URL I pasted into the "Link URL" box just disappears.

It seems as if "Insert/Edit Link" pop-up box is simply resetting itself every time I click insert. It doesn't go away, it just deletes the information I added to it.

I've searched to see if anyone else has had this problem and couldn't find a reference to it. I've also tried a different URL and it didn't work.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Joomla 1.5 not allowing me to add a web link

Post by sozzled » Thu May 18, 2017 11:11 pm

You are aware, of course, that J! 1.5 was at end-of-life about 5 years ago, yes? Have you considered the possibility of migrating to J! 3.7.1 and also considered the risk you'll have by staying with J! 1.5? ???

MBMurdock
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MBMurdock » Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 am

Yes, I've known 1.5 was a little old, but I only found out today that it hasn't been supported for five years. This problem was so odd I kind of figured that would end up being the problem. I started out as the content writer for the website when it was created about six years ago, but now handle most of the administration for it. The site is currently hosted by Homepage Universe, which took over the company, which took over the original company we worked with to create it.

Although I've done admin work on a number of websites over the years, this is the only one I've dealt with using Joomla. I've never migrated a site to update it before, and after reviewing the 1.5 to 3.x Step by Step guide it doesn't look like a cake walk. In fact, because we do not host the site on our own servers, I'm not sure this is something we can do ourselves.

The site host recently had to move the site to a new server, which resulted in a number of problems with internal and external links that we had to fix. Can I expect similar problems with the migration?

Thank you for your input,
Mike

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri May 19, 2017 7:01 am

MBMurdock wrote:I've never migrated a site [from J! 1.5. to J! 3.x] ... before, and ... I'm not sure this is something we can do ourselves.
There are probably a few professionals available who could provide you with the services to accomplish the task, if that's something you're interested in pursuing.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”