Choose hosting for Joomla 1.5 website nowadays

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
lorenzofp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Choose hosting for Joomla 1.5 website nowadays

Post by lorenzofp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:31 am

Hello, I have a joomla 1.5.26 website i can not upgrade to joomla 3. I need to find a hosting company that will let me run this website on php 5.3, 5.4 ot 5.6 at maximum.

I actually run my website with a hosting company that will upgrade php to php 7 in the next months and my website will simply disappear.

I need to understand what options i have. How to run nowadays a joomla 1.5 website? What kind of solutions do I have for this problem? I do not know how to setup a webserver, but i think that there should be the possibility of renting a webserver and run php 5.3 or 5.4 or 5.6, but how to do this? I need a solution that will work for some years.. Anybody can help me to understand what options i Have? thanks!

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Choose hosting for Joomla 1.5 website nowadays

Post by ranwilli » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:51 pm

lorenzofp wrote:Hello, I have a joomla 1.5.26 website i can not upgrade to joomla 3.
Sorry, but this is just nonsense.

The fact is, you have a website, that is not easily or quickly upgraded to current.

Your Host is doing you a favor by pushing you toward modern, more secure php, and is giving you generous advance notice.

A couple of months is more than enough time to upgrade a test a new site.
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

lorenzofp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lorenzofp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:18 pm

my friend, my host is doing me a favour, ok. But i want to stuck on Joomla 1.5 because i dont have the money to pay people and to let them upgrade. also, i have many urls indexed. So, please, can you help me and tell me if i can solve this problem or not? How to have php 5.3 or 5.6 running for a few years? where should i buy a server plan? how to accomplish this?

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:55 pm

lorenzofp wrote:my friend, my host is doing me a favour, ok. But i want to stuck on Joomla 1.5 because i dont have the money to pay people and to let them upgrade. also, i have many urls indexed.
Sorry to say but some day will come and you will have two choices, the one to not have a live site and the other to have an updated joomla site. The first choice will come if you will not update, as everything that you have(joomla,extensions,php) will be EOL and vulnerable and you will be hacked everytime. So in my opinion update is one-way, not only for you but for everyone.
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:06 pm

I sympathize 1000% with your not having cash to spend hiring a professional. They (me included) are over-rated anyway.

Begin by getting some development space, either on your PC using XAMPP or another "stand-alone server", or by working with your host to place a subdomain ala "dev.yourdomain.com" the second is preferred in my opinion, especially if your host can arrange to let you run PHP7 on your development site.

Then install the most recent version of Joomla, find a suitable template (there are some good free ones out there)
and begin the process of copying your old site, article by article, to the dev site, paying particular attention to re-contructing the urls from your old site using Joomla's greatly improved menu system. Joomla is very, very good at this.

Yes, it IS a lot of work, but in the end, you'll have a more secure, better-performing website, usable from small screened devices, and good for many years to come, especially if you stay ON the upgrade path.

Best of luck to you, and feel free to PM me if there are specific questions to which you need answers.
Stay ON the update path.

lorenzofp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lorenzofp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:15 pm

ranwilli wrote:I sympathize 1000% with your not having cash to spend hiring a professional. They (me included) are over-rated anyway.

Begin by getting some development space, either on your PC using XAMPP or another "stand-alone server", or by working with your host to place a subdomain ala "dev.yourdomain.com" the second is preferred in my opinion, especially if your host can arrange to let you run PHP7 on your development site.

Then install the most recent version of Joomla, find a suitable template (there are some good free ones out there)
and begin the process of copying your old site, article by article, to the dev site, paying particular attention to re-contructing the urls from your old site using Joomla's greatly improved menu system. Joomla is very, very good at this.

Yes, it IS a lot of work, but in the end, you'll have a more secure, better-performing website, usable from small screened devices, and good for many years to come, especially if you stay ON the upgrade path.

Best of luck to you, and feel free to PM me if there are specific questions to which you need answers.
thank you my friend, but let me explain the situation.. If my site were about article, this would not be a problem at all... I would do the hard work.. Unfortunately i am using a real estate extension that is for joomla 1.5 and I have people uploading free properties for sale with their own profiles.. I can not transfer all this system to a joomla 3 because i am not tech guy.. I need a professional doing this but i dont have the money and also i am scared about hiring somebody that will tell me he is skilled enough to do the job and then discovering he is not.. I already had this problems do many times...

If i only could be able to upgrade one component to joomla 3, meaning that this component is for joomla 1.5 and i would need to hire somebody to make it compatible with joomla 3, then i could recreate alone the other parts of the website, but i would need at least to have this real estate component updated for joomla 3 and php7, this is my problem.. Do you know how much could this cost? Maybe you can do this for me? I will try not to eat in order to find money for this task if I only could find somebody that is really skilled enough... Please let me know...

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:59 pm

What real estate component do you have?
Stay ON the update path.

lorenzofp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lorenzofp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:18 pm

ranwilli wrote:What real estate component do you have?
is was called com_properties, it is an independent component, the website was com-property.com but today the website is down, this component has basic real estate listing features and also a frontend login for users to publish properties and like 1 search module and 1 location listing module too. I use it with acesef component and i have many urls indexed... I really want to make this component compatible with joomla 3 and php7 but i am scared (a lot) about freelancers on freelancer . com because i have already been scammed too many times..

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:24 pm

A lot of hosting companies have provisions in their terms of use that state you cannot run unsupported software platforms (either totally abandoned or no longer supported versions) on their hosting systems. Joomla 1.0 and 1.5 are at a point where right now their entire dependency chains rely in full on unsupported software (outdated server components and Joomla itself). So I don't believe you are going to find too many shared hosting providers in 2017 that will be open to receiving a new account running Joomla 1.5 because it is a very high risk platform.

Short term, you may be able to come up with a solution to your hosting issue. But long term, for your customer safety and your sanity, you need to be looking at a migration to the current Joomla releases.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:46 pm

lorenzofp wrote:Unfortunately I am using a real estate extension that is for Joomla 1.5 and I have people uploading free properties for sale with their own profiles. I cannot transfer all this system to a Joomla 3 because I am not tech guy.. I need a professional doing this but I dont have the money and also I am scared about ...
Where do we start? ??? Unfortunately, you created this litany of misfortune.

I could offer you a comforting shoulder to cry upon—but I have a limited availability of shoulder space—or I could give you some tough love.

Number 1: it's your website. It's not my website, it's not anyone else's business what you're using your website for or what kind of business you're in. It's not even our business if your website survives or collapses in a heap tomorrow morning. From the sounds of things, however, you seem to be running an "open house" for people to list their properties for sale/auction/lease and not charge them for these services. Would that there were more charity sites like yours in the world today instead of the high costs that people pay to sell/rent housing properties.

OK, if that's what you want to do—if you want to operate, in effect, a real-estate "charity site"—if you're prepared to use your money to pay for hosting the site, maintain the domain name, prevent abuse and cyber-attacks that may be made upon it, etc, that's your business.

You've asked if we know of hosting companies that will allow you to host your J! 1.5 website. You've asked us this question because your current hosting company has put you on notice by advising you that they will no longer be in a position to provide the [PHP] environment needed to continue to run J! 1.5. What makes you think that, if you move to a different hosting company, you won't be put in the same position again?
lorenzofp wrote:Anybody can help me to understand what options I have?
There's a simple piece of advice that I offer to all my customers: nothing is impossible but everything has a cost. As soon as you attach a dollar sign to the answer, the solution becomes immediately clear. So, really, a better question that you might want to consider is this one: how much are you prepared to invest so that you can continue to operate your charity site? When you're able to answer that question then, I think, you will know exactly what you'll need to do next. 8)

lorenzofp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lorenzofp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:34 am

sozzled wrote:
lorenzofp wrote:Unfortunately I am using a real estate extension that is for Joomla 1.5 and I have people uploading free properties for sale with their own profiles. I cannot transfer all this system to a Joomla 3 because I am not tech guy.. I need a professional doing this but I dont have the money and also I am scared about ...
Where do we start? ??? Unfortunately, you created this litany of misfortune.

I could offer you a comforting shoulder to cry upon—but I have a limited availability of shoulder space—or I could give you some tough love.

Number 1: it's your website. It's not my website, it's not anyone else's business what you're using your website for or what kind of business you're in. It's not even our business if your website survives or collapses in a heap tomorrow morning. From the sounds of things, however, you seem to be running an "open house" for people to list their properties for sale/auction/lease and not charge them for these services. Would that there were more charity sites like yours in the world today instead of the high costs that people pay to sell/rent housing properties.

OK, if that's what you want to do—if you want to operate, in effect, a real-estate "charity site"—if you're prepared to use your money to pay for hosting the site, maintain the domain name, prevent abuse and cyber-attacks that may be made upon it, etc, that's your business.

You've asked if we know of hosting companies that will allow you to host your J! 1.5 website. You've asked us this question because your current hosting company has put you on notice by advising you that they will no longer be in a position to provide the [PHP] environment needed to continue to run J! 1.5. What makes you think that, if you move to a different hosting company, you won't be put in the same position again?
lorenzofp wrote:Anybody can help me to understand what options I have?
There's a simple piece of advice that I offer to all my customers: nothing is impossible but everything has a cost. As soon as you attach a dollar sign to the answer, the solution becomes immediately clear. So, really, a better question that you might want to consider is this one: how much are you prepared to invest so that you can continue to operate your charity site? When you're able to answer that question then, I think, you will know exactly what you'll need to do next. 8)
Hello, great post.

Let me tell you, I charge only 4 or 5 agencies and a very small amount per month that just pays the server and I use my site to boost other affiliate sites I have. Also, we get clients and property owners that list their properties and once per year we make a propertry sale.. Meaning, this is very little buisiness.

About the investment, I will be able to maximum to spend like 800 USD or maybe I can spend 1000 USD it the solution would be really great.. Do you know somebody which is a trusted developer that can help me? Thanks

webhostuk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webhostuk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:19 am

Rightly said someday you have to think of upgrade , you can keep a full working backup of present website data and create a dummy or subdomain with latest version and try to make sure that things are fine with new version too.
Again for your requirement I feel a VPS or dedicated server is something that can help you continue for some more time than required.
https://www.webhostuk.Co.uk/joomla-hosting.html | Best UK Joomla Hosting!
http://www.webhost.US.Com | Best US Joomla Hosting
One click auto installer for Joomla

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:12 am

You can have vps with cpanel and you can have multiphp versions with php 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 7.0, and 7.1 and whatever comes in the future. So you can have also and joomla 1.5 if you want.

lorenzofp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lorenzofp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:12 pm

ribo wrote:You can have vps with cpanel and you can have multiphp versions with php 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 7.0, and 7.1 and whatever comes in the future. So you can have also and joomla 1.5 if you want.
Thank you very much for the last two replies to this topic. So, I can use a VPS, I never heard about this, can you please send me some examples of VPS that accepts php 5.4 or 5.6 versions? And does a VPS work like a normal server? meaning I will have my ftp user to connect and shell user etc? And are they managed or unmanaged servers? Meaning shoudl I install php versions or somebody can do it for me? Anyone that can help me setting up a vps like this? I can pay the service. Thanks

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:29 pm

lorenzofp wrote:
ribo wrote:You can have vps with cpanel and you can have multiphp versions with php 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 7.0, and 7.1 and whatever comes in the future. So you can have also and joomla 1.5 if you want.
Thank you very much for the last two replies to this topic. So, I can use a VPS, I never heard about this, can you please send me some examples of VPS that accepts php 5.4 or 5.6 versions? And does a VPS work like a normal server? meaning I will have my ftp user to connect and shell user etc? And are they managed or unmanaged servers? Meaning shoudl I install php versions or somebody can do it for me? Anyone that can help me setting up a vps like this? I can pay the service. Thanks
If you are in a shared hosting then the vps will be perfect for you as you can be faster(depends from the configuration of server and the requirements of server) . The multiple php versions can give you cpanel as well. You can install php versions, php extensions from cpanel. There managed and unmanaged servers, depends from your experience with servers. I believe that for you a 4core vps with 4G ram can be a very good solution for you. Also it s good to have your server in your continent.

lorenzofp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lorenzofp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 pm

ribo wrote:
lorenzofp wrote:
If you are in a shared hosting then the vps will be perfect for you as you can be faster(depends from the configuration of server and the requirements of server) . The multiple php versions can give you cpanel as well. You can install php versions, php extensions from cpanel. There managed and unmanaged servers, depends from your experience with servers. I believe that for you a 4core vps with 4G ram can be a very good solution for you. Also it s good to have your server in your continent.
Thank you Ribo. I am in Brazil and no VPS is available here.. Every hosting company here charges a lot and service is poor.. So I need to choose a managed VPS that allows me to have php 5.6 at maximum in it.. My question is, shall I need to install php version alone in these VPS? Or they will install for me? Also, Are you able to indicate to me a hosting company that offer this vps service? Thanks!

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:34 pm

This topic started nearly one week ago. It begins with the assertion that the OP is incapable of upgrading their J! 1.5 website because of the choices they've made. As in life, the choices we make always determine consequences and the outcomes we hope for.

The consistent advice offered by experienced members of this community is that J! 1.5 is dead, outdated, unsupported, vulnerable to attack, exploitable and, the longer people continue to use this platform, the more likely their websites will capsize and implode. That's the consistent advice we've given thousands of times and, equally, thousands of times that advice has gone unheeded. So, really, the choice here is to respect the advice of experienced members of the community or go your own way: do whatever you want to do.

It is impossible within a forum context to expect that there will be guaranteed answers to the question "What hosting options are available to me?" It's just too broad a question for which there will never be a satisfactory answer. We've only seen a small example of that, here, in this topic.

I know, for a fact, that in one week I was able to migrate a website from J! 1.5 to the latest version of Joomla. Perhaps, because I am a "tech guy", it was relatively straightforward. I also know, for a fact, that there are hundreds of thousands of people all over the world who are not technically-minded, people who don't know the first thing about how to build and maintain a website, and these people recognise that they need to pay experienced web developers to build and maintain their websites for them.

In conclusion, if you don't know how to take an old website (that's crumbling, at risk of being taken down because the hosting environment can no longer support it) and move forward so that your business will survive, you really have only two choices: (1) allow your website to die a natural death (and allow your business to die with it), or (2) invest your time and money into obtaining specialist resources and people who will undertake the work for you.

On the other hand, people can continue to ask their questions—seek ways to "band-aid" their problems—and perhaps they'll get lucky. Given that there's been a week of this discussion (and it's a reasonable conclusion that nothing "new" has been written during this time) I wouldn't bet on anything changing.

And, by the way, please don't quote everything I've written here in any reply to this topic!

lorenzofp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lorenzofp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Ok, you are totally right, I already offered myself to pay somebody to help me, and this means i am conscious that this is the only right option i have, but until i get somebody that is really affordable and capable to accomplish this task, it is understandable that i am interested in any kind of help that could help me to have my site running until i solve this problem in the proper way. Anyway, you are right, I do agree with you and I will pay for this service, but until I find somebody that can help me, I will always try to find a band aid. I hope you unrderstand my position, and thank you for your support.

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:07 pm

lorenzofp wrote: Thank you Ribo. I am in Brazil and no VPS is available here.. Every hosting company here charges a lot and service is poor.. So I need to choose a managed VPS that allows me to have php 5.6 at maximum in it.. My question is, shall I need to install php version alone in these VPS? Or they will install for me? Also, Are you able to indicate to me a hosting company that offer this vps service? Thanks!
No need to be especially in brasil. The server can have location a different country but not too far(for example, i am in uk and i will not go to usa) except if i use cdn. If you will have a managed cpanel server you can have from php 5.4 until 7.1 until now. If it is managed the people that are manage your server they can install for you whatever you want in your server. I advice you to search very well about the host company that you will choose. I cant tell you where to go(i am in europe) and it s better to search it very well, and for your wallet and for good hardware requirements and for good support.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”