Sudden problem on old site ("Parse error")

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
bertoldo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Sudden problem on old site ("Parse error")

Post by bertoldo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:32 am

I used Joomla several years ago, trying to do a website for the youths of my small village.
At that time it was Joomla 1.5, so I used that (and I liked it).
Then, I didn't upgrade the Joomla version because the site was working.

Ten days ago, suddenly, I get this error both trying frontend or backend:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /web/htdocs/www.altopianovigolana.it/home/libraries ... rinput.php on line 46

Two days before it was working normally, when I had created a new content.
I am quite bad at informatics, so this blocks me completely (cannot even access the backend), since I don't understand the error.
Is it something anybody else got?
I hope there is an idiot-proof solution.

Many thanks!

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Sudden problem on old site ("Parse error")

Post by toivo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:30 am

Syntax errors do not pop up spontaneously. Unless the file system was corrupted for an unknown reason, your site may have been hacked.

The last maintenance version of Joomla 1.5 was released on March 27, 2012. In support terms, its End of Life (EOL) was in 2012. Later versions of Joomla have had several critical security updates to fix issues affecting also Joomla 1.5. Therefore your version and its extensions have been vulnerable to hacker attacks.

If your host backs up the site regularly, you could ask them to to restore but only as a temporary measure because restoring does not remove any vulnerabilities. If you value your site, start planning to upgrade it to the latest, supported version, which is currently 3.8.1.

You can reach out to professionals by checking the Joomla Resources Directory (JRD) at https://resources.joomla.org/en. There are also several Joomla User Groups (JUG) in Italy, where you can meet other users: https://community.joomla.org/user-group ... italy.html.

Alternatively, you can post a request to the Professional Development Services forum at viewforum.php?f=177
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

bertoldo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bertoldo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 am

Thank you very much!

I will try to ask if they can restore a backup and then will plan an update, as you suggested (not easy as I am travelling, but... will try)

bertoldo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bertoldo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Even easier: I opened a task to the technical assistance and they fixed the problem in less than 2 hours, just restoring and older version of Php. :-)
(but around Xmas I will try to update the website to latest Joomla anyway )

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”