What can be done with a Joomla 1.5 site I was given?

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
mrnw10
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

What can be done with a Joomla 1.5 site I was given?

Post by mrnw10 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:07 am

Hi Guys,

I'm a sysadmin by trade and have some experience using Microsoft IIS and a bit of wordpress. My wife has a website which was designed by a developer and long story short he has gone awol. Before he vanished he gave me a backup of the website which contained a bunch of directories with images and all sorts. If i want to host her website site here is there any mechanism to import all these directories and have the website work?
Last edited by toivo on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved to 1.5 forum, retitled

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Noobie

Post by sozzled » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 am

Hmmm ... I don't know what to make of this. Your wife's website designer/developer went but left "a backup of the website which contained a bunch of directories with images and all sorts." OK, that tells us nothing.

Do you know what a Content Management System is? Do you know that Joomla is a CMS. A CMS consists of more than "a bunch of directories with images and all sorts." Therefore I'm not really sure to begin with this except to ask one question (and one question only): does your wife's website still exist on the internet and, if so, what is its URL?

It might not even be a Joomla website. Who knows?

mrnw10
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mrnw10 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 am

Hi Sozzled,

Thanks for responding. Apologies if that didn't make much sense. After a bit of reading and more clarification about this situation it appears the website is still up. Its www.halahairdressing.co.uk and its definitely hosted using Joomla. I guess my next question is if i wanted to move this website to another provider using Joomla is there any mechanism to backup the website and restore it elsewhere? i.e. backup to some archive type then restore / import elsewhere?

Thanks

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:05 am

Your site/code is very old. Looks like it's Joomla v1.5.x; we're on 3.8.5 at the moment.

Do you have access to the /administrator functions, i.e. a username and password to login to the site's backend functions? If you do then the easiest thing to do would be to install a component called Akeeba Backup. this will allow you to copy everything, including the database, and move it to wherever it needs to be hosted.

You will need to familiarise yourself with the hosting technical requirements for that version of Joomla.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.0.3 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.0.3 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:14 am

As the site is not large ie not much content, you may wish to consider starting fresh with J 3.8.5 and copy and pasting the original articles in to the new site,the new site can be offline while you build it on your new hoster and when ready just change the name servers from the original site to the name servers of your new site's hoster. Alternatively you could install Xamp or similar on your local computer and build the site there and when ready use Akeeba to back up this site and then install it on your new site.
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

mrnw10
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mrnw10 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:59 pm

Guys thanks so much for your responses. I have admin access to the website now and have installed Akeeba backup. I will try to spin up copy of Joomla on my Raspberry Pi3 and have a play around to see if i can restore the backup.

Thanks Again Guys!

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Do bear in mind that your version of joomla is very old and vulnerable,at some point you are going to have to upgrade and the migration from 1.5 to 3.8.5 is long winded.

mrnw10
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mrnw10 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Yeah thats what I've read in a few blog posts across the web. I'm not sure if i'll have the time to do all that so i might just hire somebody if my own testing dosen't go to well.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: What can be done with a Joomla 1.5 site I was given?

Post by sozzled » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 pm

@mrnw10: given that the website uses J! 1.5 (probably J! 1.5.15 from what I can tell and that would date the site to around 7½ years old), you have a couple of options:

1) As you say, give the site to another developer and ask them to "tidy a few things up", establish the site as it is and perhaps migrate it to J! 3.8.5. Overall cost will be about the same as the original cost your wife paid the developer in the first instance.

2) Using the existing website as a model, build a new site now from scratch using J! 3.8.5. Overall cost will be about the same as the original cost of development.

In either case I think it's important to state the obvious. Websites that hang around, unmaintained for several years, lose their lustre—their shine, their appeal, their commercial value. Although the website may basically exist merely as a signpost (informing potential customers of the existence of a business and its hours of operation, etc.), a lot of the "fancy stuff" (the animated slideshow, for example) is generally a major distraction. My advice is to keep things simple ... but keep the site properly maintained.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”