Domain redirect to subfolder is breaking joomla

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Victor85
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Domain redirect to subfolder is breaking joomla

Post by Victor85 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:51 am

Hi there, I searched on this and it seems a few people have this problem but there are no answers that I can find so far. I have a domain pointing to a subfolder where joomla is installed on my hosting account. That way it shows just the domain in the address bar and hides the subfolder from the user (I have a few sites like this next to each other).

This works fine for joomla until I click a link in the menu. It links to the domain -with- the subfolder which brings up the joomla template still but without the link content. Strangely enough if I click the link again from the blank content page then it links properly without the subfolder and the content comes up correctly.

It seems like joomla keeps guessing wrong at the live site path and messing up the links in the process. There is no option to set the path manually that I can find. I know that option use to exist in the older joomla version.

Here is the relevant part of my .htaccess setup if it will help (site link removed):

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mysite\.?com [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.mysite\.?com [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/subfolder/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ subfolder/$1

So how can I fix this? Is there a way I can change my htaccess redirect to point all links with 'subfolder/' in them up one level? Or can I change something in joomla?

Victor85
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Domain redirect to subfolder is breaking joomla

Post by Victor85 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:11 pm

Just an update. In the global configuration switching the 'mod_rewrite' option to ON fixed the messed up links. Now all content shows correctly, only issue is that the subfolder always shows up in the address bar but I don't know if there is a way around that.

mladiucitelj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Domain redirect to subfolder is breaking joomla

Post by mladiucitelj » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:20 pm

Victor85 wrote:...only issue is that the subfolder always shows up in the address bar but I don't know if there is a way around that.
I need to know if I can hide that subfolder in domain. Redirect of main domain works well, but when I click on any submenu on my site I can see the subfolder again.

Return to “Installation 1.5”