Could not instantiate mail function.

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mjh2000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Could not instantiate mail function.

Post by mjh2000 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:21 pm

this is an oldie but a goodie.
I am running debian,exim4, apache,mysql --all the latest and greatest and have drupal on it as well.
Drupal send email great..and so do the email packages i have on the box.

The only thing that does not work..is joomla 1.5 email function.

Can anyone help out?????
I am running exim4 with sendmail compatability. I should not have to do anyhting with the php.ini file because that was working by itself..vinialla.

Can anyone help ---please????
thanks
mjh

mjh2000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Could not instantiate mail function.

Post by mjh2000 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Ooops...I forgot to mention that i get this error occurs when i try to create a user from the admin user manager menu and from the create a new account link on the front page.

I am not running anyother type of mail daemon...so i guess that is it.

thanks
mjh

codechimp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by codechimp » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi there

Not sure if you got this sorted, but i just found your post when i was llooking for a fix for the same problem.

Any how i went into the global config > server page and change the Mail Settings to Sendmail, and that seems to have worked.

lw-d
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by lw-d » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:10 am

I have a similar server setup and I have the same problem.

Any fixes?

angelo2008
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by angelo2008 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:31 pm

mjh2000 wrote:this is an oldie but a goodie.
I am running debian,exim4, apache,mysql --all the latest and greatest and have drupal on it as well.
Drupal send email great..and so do the email packages i have on the box.

The only thing that does not work..is joomla 1.5 email function.

Can anyone help out?????
I am running exim4 with sendmail compatability. I should not have to do anyhting with the php.ini file because that was working by itself..vinialla.

Can anyone help ---please????
thanks
mjh
check with your host. if you are on a shared server, you'll have to put up with your current host, or consider changing to another.
Regards

pritam83
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pritam83 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi All,
I have changed following setting
global config > server page and change the Mail Settings to Sendmail

It remove my error in the New user creation page but, welcome/account activation mail was not received on the given mail ID. Please help me.

chorkhee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chorkhee » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:08 pm

hi i have got this same problem with sending of emails. I tried using php mail it says 'Could not instantiate mail function', and when using sendmail it will produce any error but no emails have been received but as far as i know sendmail is a "fake email" which means that sendmail will not actually send an email out but i wonder if i am right or wrong. to me i think is some configurations that must be done in joomla but i do not know what is that. i am using joomla 1.5.3, mysql and apache.

hope someone can help us with that. =)

alexisgaylan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexisgaylan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:49 am

Hi guys, I use joomla 1.5.7 as my backend.. and right now, its just my 2nd day of using it..but thanks to this thread that i'm not alone with the problem of "Could not instantiate mail"..

I don't have any background of PHP, so all i am concern is that i tried to create a new user, then "click" register, and after that, "could not instantiate" message appeared..i also changed the mail settings to "sendmail" , and the "could not instantiate" message was no more.. but i checked the email to which i entered as my "email address", there's no email received for validation..

I would really appreciate those pro to solve this problem.. thanks in advance.. sorry for being so noob in PHP..

thanks guys..

joshmoser
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joshmoser » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Im in the same boat. I have tried all three mail settings. I am certain that I am configuring the SMTP settings correct, but I am still getting an error message, and no emails from all three settings. I get errors with SMTP and PHPmail, but not send mail.

alexisgaylan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexisgaylan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:47 pm

hi! I figured it out.. but I don't know if this too will work for you..but rest assured I already get rid of that "Could not instantiate mail function" error.. here's what I did:

1. I change the mail settings to "SMTP" which was supposed to be the "last to select" option in global functions under the "Server Tab".

2. I use XAMPP as my database support. I just install and do nothing.

3. After this, I tried to create a new user, fill the textboxes, and boom.. it was a successful one..

anyway, like I've said, I don't know if this steps could help you, but truly for me it did work.

I don't know the other ways.. I hope I did help you from here.. anyway, Joomla is one of the "BEST" CMS I ever know..

thanks for your reading.

kgonyea
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by kgonyea » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:36 pm

joshmoser wrote:Im in the same boat. I have tried all three mail settings. I am certain that I am configuring the SMTP settings correct, but I am still getting an error message, and no emails from all three settings. I get errors with SMTP and PHPmail, but not send mail.
Ran into this issue and finally figured out it was a hosting issue and this thread solved it for me, maybe it will help you too...

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=431&t=272547

jessiered
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jessiered » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:14 am

Hi to all!

I am also experiencing this problem. (According to the Joomla 1.5 Essential Training).
Now I tried doing it and I had this "Could not instantiate mail function"
When I log on as Jcallaghan. Then I got this message "Could not instantiate mail function"

What could be wrong. By the way I tried Config/server/mail settings to: SMTP Server (YES) but still problem not solved.

Please help

Thanks in advance!

Jessiered
D * Jessiered * Smile
:: Never Finish a Negative Statement ::

alexisgaylan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexisgaylan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:31 am

hi jessie..

did you run your xampp or any backend programs when you try to mail? I solved this 3months ago. it should work well if you've changed the settings in smtp.

jessiered
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jessiered » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:33 am

Hi to all!

I am also experiencing this problem. (According to the Joomla 1.5 Essential Training).
When I log on as Jcallaghan. Then I got this message "Could not instantiate mail function"

What could be wrong. By the way I tried Config/server/mail settings to: SMTP Server (YES) but still problem not solved.

Please help

Thanks in advance!

Jessiered

Report this post
D * Jessiered * Smile
:: Never Finish a Negative Statement ::

abusa1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by abusa1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:24 pm

jessiered wrote:Hi to all!

Please help

Thanks in advance!

Jessiered

Report this post
Here is how to change from PHP Mail Function to Sendmail:

1. Log in as an admin on the backend of your joomla (http://localhost/"name_of_your_site"/administrator)
2. On the menu bar (on top) go to Site > Global Configuration
3. You'll see on left side three links "Site | System | Server" (Right under "Global Configuration" phrase)
4. Click on the Server
5. Then find on your right "Mail Settings" box
6. In the Mailer drop down menu change from PHP Mail Function to Sendmail

Hope this helps

terismikilis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by terismikilis » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Ok, Trying to help the community, I have to share my experience when this "Could not instantiate mail function." appeared in my sites. :eek:

It is important all the right filling configurations in the joomla instalation, that is correct, must of the time if you are using a local STMP, you would have to filled like this:

:geek: Enter in Site - Global Configuration - Server, and in the mail settings you need to configure this way:

Mailer: PHP Mail Function
Mail from: youremail@account.com
From Name: Your site name
Sendmail Path:/usr/sbin/sendmail
SMTP Authentication: Yes
SMTP user name: youremail
SMTP password: the password of your email account
SMTP host: yahoo.gmail.whatever_it_is.com

Now, this do not work alone, you need to create a user with this email account, so after configure this, you need to go to:

Components - contacts, and then create your user.

After creating the user, the "MOST" important thing to check is that your server host is configure the way you need to all this works. So, if you are using Joomla 1.5 go to:

Help - System Info, you need to check in the tab PHP information the PHP Core info and look through the list till you find the SMTP info, it would have to look like this:

sendmail_from: youremail@account.com
sendmail_path: no value no value
serialize_precision: 100
short_open_tag: On
SMTP: yahoo.gmail.whatever_it_is.com
smtp_port: 25

If you are using Joomla 1.0.x then you have to go to:

System - System info and look in the PHP core list for the same values. :pop

Now, if you don´t have the PHP configure like this, the mail funtion would not work properly, and you will get that unnice message again and again.

I have had this problem quite often cause I run so many sites on my local computer and sometimes I just forget to configure that part in PHP and then I realize that it has not been configured till I have to test the contact component :o) so, this might help a bit to understand this when trying to use the SMTP service.

Ok, I hope this help to some of you, and tks to all people that makes this community the best way to learn and share knowledge :pop

Cheers!

donzell2kx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by donzell2kx » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:12 am

OK I'm running XAMP and Joomla 1.5.13. I've been searching all over for a fix to the famous "Could not instantiate mail function" issue but it seem like all the answers are repetitive saying use send mail or SMTP. What about getting PHP Mail Function to work in Joomla? From my understanding its just supposed to work if you select it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can get SMTP to work with no problem but why is PHP Mail not working? Can someone finally answer this question? It seems as if people are giving up on the PHP Mail Function entirely since they cant get it to work.

Perhaps an explanation and resolution along these lines, sort of like how terrismikilis put it:

To configure PHP Mail Function in Joomla you must follow these steps:
1. do this
2. do that
3. do some more of this and that...
4. PHP Mail Function should now be working. (in a perfect world)

So far all I have seen is this:

1. Go to Control Panel
2. Select PHP Mail Function
3. Set SMTP Authentication to No

This really doesn't do much if all were saying is to select something other than PHP Mail. I'm not trying to insult anyone here because I'm here asking the same questions. I would really love the help.

Thanks! :eek:

MMPatriko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MMPatriko » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 pm

This is a good point donzell2kx, most of the posts I've been finding want to bypass the PHP Mail function. I hear Windows servers has some difficulty with php and php mail. Is there any validity to that and if so will it be addressed in future Joomla builds?

My experience with the infamous "Could not instantiate mail function" only involves when I use newsletter components (ListMessenger, Acajoom News, Communicator). With the PHP Mail function selected I am only able to send out messages only if they have blank subscriber names. The minute I try to put a first or last name on the subscriber information it throws the error at me. Don't know if this has something to do with field blocking for security purposes or what. All my other email functions seem to be intact since contact form components work, system messages are sent to administrators and other notifications come in fine.

Wondering if anyone else can shed any light on this subject or any of our particular problems.

Here's some of my system info:
PHP Built on: Windows NT SQL01 5.2 build 3790
Database Version: 5.0.37-community-nt
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.1
Web Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
Web Server to PHP interface: isapi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.14 Stable [ Wojmamni Ama Naiki ] 30-July-2009 23:00 GMT

treybraid
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by treybraid » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:25 pm

mmpatriko did you get the email issue resolved?
thanks

trey

twhite101
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by twhite101 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:42 pm

terismikilis wrote:Ok, Trying to help the community, I have to share my experience when this "Could not instantiate mail function." appeared in my sites. :eek:

It is important all the right filling configurations in the joomla instalation, that is correct, must of the time if you are using a local STMP, you would have to filled like this:

:geek: Enter in Site - Global Configuration - Server, and in the mail settings you need to configure this way:

Mailer: PHP Mail Function
Mail from: youremail@account.com
From Name: Your site name
SMTP user name: youremail
SMTP password: the password of your email account
SMTP host: yahoo.gmail.whatever_it_is.com

Now, this do not work alone, you need to create a user with this email account, so after configure this, you need to go to:

Components - contacts, and then create your user.

After creating the user, the "MOST" important thing to check is that your server host is configure the way you need to all this works. So, if you are using Joomla 1.5 go to:

Help - System Info, you need to check in the tab PHP information the PHP Core info and look through the list till you find the SMTP info, it would have to look like this:

sendmail_from: youremail@account.com
sendmail_path: no value no value
serialize_precision: 100
short_open_tag: On
SMTP: yahoo.gmail.whatever_it_is.com
smtp_port: 25

If you are using Joomla 1.0.x then you have to go to:

System - System info and look in the PHP core list for the same values. :pop

Now, if you don´t have the PHP configure like this, the mail funtion would not work properly, and you will get that unnice message again and again.

I have had this problem quite often cause I run so many sites on my local computer and sometimes I just forget to configure that part in PHP and then I realize that it has not been configured till I have to test the contact component :o) so, this might help a bit to understand this when trying to use the SMTP service.

After searching these forums for hours and hours, this post is the closest I have come to determining why I cannot get Joomla's mail function to work. I'm running Joomla 1.5.5, and there are no options under mail settings for SMTP security and SMTP port. The settings I am using are:

Mailer: SMTP
Mail From: my_email@gmail.com
From Name: my_name
SMTP Username: my_email@gmail.com
SMTP Password: my_gmail_password
SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com

As the referenced post suggests, I went to Help - System Info-PHP information-PHP Core info and looked through the list till I found the SMTP info. The settings I found are as follows:

sendmail_from no value no value
sendmail_path no value no value
serialize_precision 100 100
short_open_tag Off Off
SMTP localhost localhost
smtp_port 25 25

Obviously my php config settings do not match up with the settings I'm trying to use in the global config. How can I resolve this issue? What can I do to change my php settings?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-T.

aikimann
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aikimann » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:21 pm

^ twhite101,

I followed the same directions, and managed to change my php settings to reflect the recommendations in those instructions, but I still get "Could not instantiate mail function."

You can change these settings by finding your php.ini file. It's location is given at the top of the PHP info page to the right of "Loaded Configuration File".

Once you've updated the file and saved it, you may need to restart your web service, IIS, apache, php, etc. I'm running windows, so restarting IIS reloads the php.ini file for me. As for *nix, I'm not sure what needs to be restarted.

ferreirabraga
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ferreirabraga » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:00 am

Here the same problem. :'(
Anybody solved this issue?

PHP Built on: Windows NT
Database Version: mysql-5.1.41
PHP Version: 5.2.5
Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Win32)
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.15

ferreirabraga
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ferreirabraga » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:15 am

Folks,
after 3 days searching for any solution I found this one.Very easy to set up.

fake sendmail for windows - http://glob.com.au/sendmail/

about
sendmail.exe is a simple windows console application that emulates sendmail's "-t" option to deliver emails piped via stdin.
it is intended to ease running unix code that has /usr/lib/sendmail hardcoded as an email delivery means.
it doesn't support deferred delivery, and requires an smtp server to perform the actual delivery of the messages.

What I did
* download sendmail.zip http://www.glob.com.au/sendmail/sendmail.zip then unzip to c:\sendmail but I think it could be unziped to any place in the server.
* I configured smtp server, default domain, auth_username, auth_password in sendmail.ini.(inside the directory unzip above)
* I configured sendmail_path="C:\sendmail\sendmail.exe -t" in php.ini.
* restarted the apache.

DONE!
Now I'm able to send mail from joomla. 8) :pop

lipinponmala007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lipinponmala007 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:35 am

My friend faced this problem that Mail function could not be initiated message is coming and Message is not sending. when he was working with the contact us

Working on this problem we got that controller.php file and and contact.php file which are placed at subdirectories of com_contact have some problems. But we had a completely working joomla site in other folder of the same server so we replaced :
controller.php , contact.php by the corresponding files from the working joomla site.

now the error message is gone and mails are send and received happily.

also The SMTP settings should be configured care fully.We put the SMTP host name ,the port, and selected NO for SMTP, we did choose php mailer . SMTP host name is given . SMTP username and password left blank.

As I am not that familiar with joomla and i am working with drupal &h e is working with .net Still now we don't know whether is solution will work for all.

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Thu May 06, 2010 8:46 am

Which Joomla version did you use? Did you check the mail information in the Global configuration?

Olaf
Olaf Offick - Global Moderator
learnskills.org

aerostrato
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aerostrato » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:47 pm

ferreirabraga wrote:Folks,
after 3 days searching for any solution I found this one.Very easy to set up.

fake sendmail for windows - http://glob.com.au/sendmail/

about
sendmail.exe is a simple windows console application that emulates sendmail's "-t" option to deliver emails piped via stdin.
it is intended to ease running unix code that has /usr/lib/sendmail hardcoded as an email delivery means.
it doesn't support deferred delivery, and requires an smtp server to perform the actual delivery of the messages.

What I did
* download sendmail.zip http://www.glob.com.au/sendmail/sendmail.zip then unzip to c:\sendmail but I think it could be unziped to any place in the server.
* I configured smtp server, default domain, auth_username, auth_password in sendmail.ini.(inside the directory unzip above)
* I configured sendmail_path="C:\sendmail\sendmail.exe -t" in php.ini.
* restarted the apache.

DONE!
Now I'm able to send mail from joomla. 8) :pop
Hello, I tried your solution and... no error message nor mail sent! To tell the truth I used the sendmail already installed with XAMPP.

configuration: Joomla 1.5.20 running on localhost windows vista business;
XAMPP; see the images below: sendmail.ini, php.ini, joomla setting.
Tried to recover a lost password and: no error message nor email received.

How to fix it please?

Thank you.

Aerostrato.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aerostrato
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aerostrato » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Hello, I fixed at last.

My website runs on localhost:
windows vista business, XAMPP 1.7.1
First assure your mailserver is running correctly (mine is mercurymail running with no edit after the first installation);
the Joomla mail setting are in the image attached;
try one of the joomla features uses the mail; user creation password recovery etc.;
if you get an error open the mail server control panel and see there SMTP server window or other involved in the mail sending where and aht is the error;
I got an error stating: "SMTP server response: 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry."; I traced the error message in the mercurymail forum;
there I fixed by deactivating the "Do not permit the SMPTP relaying of non-local mail" checkbox; here in: configuration menu>connection control (tab)>Relaying control (section).

Thank you.

Aerostrato.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aerostrato
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aerostrato » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:47 am

Hello, now I succeed to get working the SMTP way for emailing.
See the attached image about the right settings.
I noticed that works only in my production site not in all of my sandboxes; may be that is due to have used the "localhost" address instead of the IP one.
May be this post will be the reference one about the topic. :-)

Thank you.

Aerostrato.

aerostrato
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aerostrato » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:24 pm

The key point for having working those two ways for mailing when Joomla running on localhost is not to write in the address bar something like: localhost/www.yourwebsite.com but you have to write http://[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]/www.yourwebsite.com.

P.S.: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]=your computer IP

Thank you.

Aerostrato.

Dadha Kumar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dadha Kumar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:18 am

Thank you so much @terismikilis

Your suggestion really helped me.

I edited the core files suchas com_mailto/controller.php and com_contact/controller.php. Nothing worked. I changed them back to original code.

I was really crossing my fingers. But Fortunately, came to read this thread and found out I didn't link admin or any user to contact us form (this is basic thing lol...). :D

Thanks a ton again @terismikilis for educating me. :D :D

Return to “Administration 1.5”