Installing Joomla 3 on subdomain.

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
lumajosh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Installing Joomla 3 on subdomain.

Post by lumajosh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:20 pm

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to post my question. I support existing site which is on Joomla 1.5. I'd like to upload to a subdomain (for testing purposes) a new site created with Joomla 3. The question is, would the Joomla versions somehow conflict with each other?

Here are the steps I'm planning to perform -

1. Zip up all files for site created with Joomla 3
2. Using MySQL, export the db defenition
3. Using CPanel, create a new subdomain.
4 Upload both zip files into the new subdomain
5. Unzip the file

At this point I should open up MySQL and create a new db and a user, however I'm not clear if I should install Joomla 3 on my subdomain first.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Installing Joomla 3 on subdomain.

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:21 am

By the sounds of 1. and 2. in your post, you have created this J3 site locally (or somewhere else) and it is working.

If that is the case, then what you describe is correct EXCEPT that you do NOT install J3 in the sub domain first; that is what you are doing by exporting/importing the db and the J3 files you ZIPped - that IS J3 :)

Don't forget that you will have to edit the configuration.php that will now be in the sub domain to reflect the new db credentials and also the tmp and log paths.
@snifflevalve

Return to “Installation 1.5”