Can I retrieve old website without a database copy?

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
slammer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Can I retrieve old website without a database copy?

Post by slammer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:54 am

I apologize in advance for the retardedness of the following question, but I'm a relative neewbie and have no clue what phrases to use in search of an answer.

So here goes: I had Joomla (1.5) running for an old website. The website doesn't exist anymore, and I no longer have access to the domain. Is it possible to retrieve the old website without the database? I have a backup of all other files, but not of the database :-[

I don't need the specific content, am just interested in some css- and php- customizations I did. I would like to make some screenshots of how it looked and I added a custom contactform, which I'd like to have a look at.

Is there any way for me to get some stuff back?

Thank!
Last edited by slammer on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Can I retrieve old website without a database copy?

Post by imanickam » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am

Unfortunately it cannot be done as the meta data and the content (user data) are stored in the database.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

slammer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by slammer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks imanickam for the quick respons.

I feared for that... So, also the templates that I customized are lost now? :(

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:03 am

The Templates is stored in the Templates folder. A 1.5 template cannot be used on a later version.
You can however convert the template.

http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_a_Joom ... Joomla_2.5

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:43 pm

@slammer
If you are only looking for php modifications and CSS changes you have those in the site files. The CSS changes are in the template's CSS files. The php modifications are in the php files you modified.

In theory you could create a fresh install of the Joomla version you were using, then copy over your files to the fresh install's root folder. This may get you part of the screenshot you want, if your site used added extensions they will not display as they would need to be added again and any data they stored would be lost in the old database.

You can also check your files for a .sql file, some backup extensions(if you had one installed) will save the database backup in a folder on the site.

Return to “Installation 1.5”