Joomla won't run but joomla administrator fine

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jakorsme
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla won't run but joomla administrator fine

Post by jakorsme » Wed May 27, 2015 3:24 am

I moved my Joomla 1.5 website to a new server (no - I can't upgrade to a newer version of Joomla for this website yet).

The joomla administrator works just fine - accesses the new db just fine and everything - all normal.
But, trying to run joomla by running index.php (or by just going to the domain and letting apache run the index.php) results in no data being returned (no html displayed at all).
There are no errors in the apache error_log. Just nothing returned. I've tried removing .htaccess and same result (no html returned at all).

I know php and apache are fine, or administrator wouldn't work. This makes no sense.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla won't run but joomla administrator fine

Post by toivo » Wed May 27, 2015 11:00 am

There are no errors in the apache error_log. Just nothing returned.
That depends on the setting of the variable error_reporting in php.ini. You can overwrite this setting by adding the following two lines to be beginning of the file index.php in the main Joomla folder:

Code: Select all

ini_set('display_errors', true);
error_reporting(E_ALL & ~(E_STRICT | E_DEPRECATED | E_NOTICE | E_WARNING));
Edit the file configuration.php and change the error reporting setting to match the above:

Code: Select all

var $error_reporting = '22517';
You should now see the error messages in the browser.
I know php and apache are fine, or administrator wouldn't work. This makes no sense.
That makes perfect sense because you may find that a PHP fatal error causing the blank page occurs in a third party plugin that runs only in the front end. Post the error message here.

BTW, so that you do not forget, it would be high time to consider migrating to a supported version of Joomla.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

jakorsme
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jakorsme » Wed May 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Ok, I set your text within both index.php, as well as configuration.php
There are still no errors in the error_log - just PHP warnings (same as before).

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu May 28, 2015 6:03 pm

There are still no errors in the error_log - just PHP warnings (same as before).
Some older extensions have the unfortunate habit of overwriting the PHP error reporting configuration, which may explain the behaviour you are seeing.

You can provide more information about the server configuration and the 3rd party extensions the site is running through the Forum Post Assistant (FPA). The instructions and the download link are here: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Installation 1.5”