Joomla+PHP auction

Discuss the integration of Joomla! with other products. ie SMF, phpbb etc etc

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
CubicleTube
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla+PHP auction

Post by CubicleTube » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:02 am

Has anyone bridged Joomla & PhP Auction?

I had to edit this so i could also inclue X7 chat  http://x7chat.com/ works with mambo
Last edited by CubicleTube on Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobonthenet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Joomla+PHP auction

Post by bobonthenet » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:35 pm

Have you heard anything new about this?  I could really use an auction component for joomla.  My members are demanding it but my PHP skills are still not good enough to do this on my own.
I didn't break it I swear!

Predator
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Predator » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:39 am

As far as i have seen on their Site you have to charge for it right, maybe this is cause the lack of interesst?
The "Humor, Fun and Games" forum has  more than 2500 Posts, so why not build a "Humor, Fun and Games Working" Group?
Malicious tongues say we have this WG right from the start, they call it core team :D

bobonthenet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bobonthenet » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:39 pm

There is an older version that can still be downloaded from sourceforge.net,  I understand its a little buggy from what other people have said but I haven't noticed any.  If anyone has the ambition I can send the older version and we could start a project with that, it does use the GPL.  Hopefully it would catch on and others might join in and help with it.  I'm doing the best I can to work on this project myself but learning PHP is slow going and if someone else would take this on I would be eternaly greatful.

jlilio
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jlilio » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:03 am

Instead of starting with the old version of phpauction... it is actually possible to start with whatever version of the GPL-licensed phpauction (currently v2.51) that they offer on their website. It only takes one generous person who owns a copy of the latest Phpauction GPL to release the copy he/she has to the general public without any fee attached. From there, I think that copy will propagate on the Net, free of charge.

Remember that under the terms of the GNU GPL, phpauction.net only exercised their right to sell copies of the software. They do not provide a free downloadable copy to the public as most organizations/communities do.
See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... AllowMoney
see also http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... ownloadFee

But the GNU GPL license also give owners of those copies (which they got, say from phpauction.net) the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee.
See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... tyToPublic

The question is, is this path moral? My view on this matter is if both parties (phpauction.net and the public) do abide by the rules of the license (GNU GPL), indeed it is. No hard feelings for phpauction.net if someone actually acted upon this suggestion.  ;)

I believe a lot of open source supporters frown when they see this problem with developers starting with GPL, then for some reason abandon their first love to pursue greener returns. No question of using GPL in commerce, isn't it just a matter of aligning the model to suit the content of the license. ???

I myself is in fervent search for an auction component (hopefully supporting various modes). Let's help each other out.

bobonthenet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bobonthenet » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:08 am

I've been messing around with the standalone phpBB auction and in my oppinion it is loads better!  I've created a seperate auction website to experiment with and I REALLY like what this thing can do.  phpBB auction is easy to get is also gpl and works great doing everything I want and then some.  I definatly think this is the way to go in order to start an auction component if we're using existing php as a shortcut.

DefileMetal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DefileMetal » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:17 pm

bobonthenet wrote: I've been messing around with the standalone phpBB auction and in my oppinion it is loads better!  I've created a seperate auction website to experiment with and I REALLY like what this thing can do.  phpBB auction is easy to get is also gpl and works great doing everything I want and then some.  I definatly think this is the way to go in order to start an auction component if we're using existing php as a shortcut.
Checked out phpbb and it seems that there is not much community support and/or development and not very widely used -

Of course phpauction has, in the XL version, many more advanced features

*  Ability to create Niche auction sites
    * Ready to use template skins (CSS themes) NEW  Check all the available templates
      CSS styles to edit the look & feel or many ready to use templates in our design section.
    * Multilingual feature
      Translate the text files to a different language. Multiple languages at the same time.
    * Payment gateways
      PayPal, 2checkout, Authorize.net. NEW
    * Search engine friendly URL NEW
    * Unique seller
      You can choose to be the only seller on your auction site.
    * Ability to customize registration form
      Select the required fields.
    * Wide variety of fees options
      Sellers, buyers, signup, listings, etc.
    * Pay, Prepay & Invoicing systems
      3 different ways to collect fees from your users.

* Web Store Module

jlilio wrote: Instead of starting with the old version of phpauction... it is actually possible to start with whatever version of the GPL-licensed phpauction (currently v2.51) that they offer on their website. It only takes one generous person who owns a copy of the latest Phpauction GPL to release the copy he/she has to the general public without any fee attached. From there, I think that copy will propagate on the Net, free of charge.

Remember that under the terms of the GNU GPL, phpauction.net only exercised their right to sell copies of the software. They do not provide a free downloadable copy to the public as most organizations/communities do.
See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... AllowMoney
see also http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... ownloadFee

But the GNU GPL license also give owners of those copies (which they got, say from phpauction.net) the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee.
See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... tyToPublic

The question is, is this path moral? My view on this matter is if both parties (phpauction.net and the public) do abide by the rules of the license (GNU GPL), indeed it is. No hard feelings for phpauction.net if someone actually acted upon this suggestion.  ;)
I myself is in fervent search for an auction component (hopefully supporting various modes). Let's help each other out.
Reading the license agreement it would appear that I can make my copy of Phpauction GPL available for this - am I correct?  Can a project be started on this base and made to include more upgraded features?  Would like to know whay others think - if the concensus is good I'll be happy to make it available as my skills fall far short of the capability of doing this  8>)
Obstacles exist for the purpose of being removed

jlilio
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jlilio » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:12 pm

name it Joom!Auction...  that would be neat (like Joom!Fish). 8)

Hope others can catch up fast on this. Drupal apparently has an auction functionality. Haven't tried it... maybe the lack of it in Joomla! at present is not enough reason to abandon all the good things within this framework. What I am saying is that there is a need to include an auction component within Joomla!. I've seen a poll (at the other side of th fence) asking whether there is a need for such functionality, and the reply is very positive. If Joom!Auction become an integral part of the core (as Joom!Fish will in v.1.1), then what else out there will be at par with Joomla!?

jlilio
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jlilio » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:06 am

@DefileMetal

Maybe you can provide a link and toss a copy of Phpauction GPL...  :D

Personally, I'd like to play around with that and see what I can do. Hope others who are skilled and knowledgeable will very soon become interested and start this worthwhile project for the community...

TIA!

bobonthenet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bobonthenet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:34 am

Yes if you have a link to a recent version of Phpauction GPL I would really like to see it.  If someone was to create a joomauction I would be so happy I would pee my pants.  It doesn't matter to me how it is created.  Obviously the more features the better, but just to have an auction component would be awesome no matter what it includes.

helpershub
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by helpershub » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi All,
I have a copy of phpAuction.  I can make it available to all.  Jooma!Auction or what ever it will be called is fine.  Some one please help with next setps, where to put it etc etc.

Sunil

steve1084
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by steve1084 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:51 am

PHP Auction Version 3 is available from the Source Forge http://sourceforge.net/projects/gplauction

gplAuction, based on phpAuction GPL 3.0, will be a Full-Featured Auction- and Market-Place System written in PHP by using MySQL. Our goal is to clean-up the Base-System and improve it with many new features.

Hope this helps

I am just one of many that would like an integrated Action. Its a bugger that I cant code to save my life :-*
A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.
Signature rules: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,65.0.html No images allowed.

helpershub
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by helpershub » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:09 am

Hi, Steve
I would one go about using this in Joomla?  Wrapper maybe?  Is there some documentation?  Alsomost a year I had purchased phpAuction 2.51.  Is gpauction just a new version of phpAuction?  I think I am confused?  Please explain!
Sunil

steve1084
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by steve1084 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:16 am

There are currently two projects on the Source forge One is called PHPAuction and uses phpauction version 2.1 at its base.  The other is gplAuction using php Auction version 3 as its base.

One is old the other is newer but both are doing the same thing

Unzip file - upload to your server - browse to the install.php and follow the instructions.  when finished remember to remove the install files

hope this helps

and yes it is vastly better than 2.1 with lots of extra functioning features

Signature rules: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,65.0.html No images allowed.

DefileMetal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DefileMetal » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:28 pm

Hey Steve,

So how does gplauction integrate with Joomla! - or set it up in a separate directory and back/forth?  Are you using it currently?  Any sites using this with Joomla!? 

Thanks
Obstacles exist for the purpose of being removed

steve1084
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by steve1084 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:49 am

Ok gplauction doesn’t have any payment options and is used at this stage in the wrapper.

There is however yet another version of PHP Auction that has payment Options and is also GLP license

This is a better version than gplauction but like all of these versions of phpauction they have minor bugs that means time or money to repair.  Mainly because those that have working versions dont re-release them.

Its not integrated yet but I’m going to be talking with a programmer on Friday and see about getting the bugs fixed and having it integrated.

Steve

helpershub
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by helpershub » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:03 am

Hi Steve!
Which version is this? phpauction + payment option?  Where can I downloadit?

Sunil

steve1084
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by steve1084 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:02 am

helpershub wrote: Hi Steve!
Which version is this? phpauction + payment option?  Where can I downloadit?

Sunil
Good Question but I dont know as all files related to which version have been removed by somebody, I just know its PHP Auction and a later version than GPL Auction on source forge primarily becouse it has the payment options.  It currently has error's in the code relating to start and finish times for Auctions means Auctions never start. Otherwise it apears to work in all other areas, I only found it last night and have been testing it out today.

Here is a link to my test install http://www.car-auctions-australia.com/auction/index.php?

Are you able to fix

Steve

videohead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by videohead » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:00 pm

I'm willing to participate financially in the development of a GPL auction component - if that means buying and releasing (via GPL) phpAuction, then great. If it means we can all put our brains together and code something new, then that is great, too.
Either way, I want this component to utilize the latest and greatest PHP code base, and integrate fully with Community Builder. I think this would be best for the Joomla community, and for the 1.5 version.
I've used and abused phpBB - it does not have the functionality that I require.

silverfangsg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by silverfangsg » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Have also been looking for phpAuction GPL to be intergrated with Joomla! It seems that after doing much search over the net, Joomla! does not have a good auction module. Anyone still working on this project? Need it desperately

videohead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by videohead » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:18 pm

I am still working on this, as well. I would like to see Joomla's capabilities expanded to include auction, and I would like to see phpAuction integrated.

silverfangsg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by silverfangsg » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:48 am

Great to hear. But during the mean time anyone suggest using wrapping and bridging phpauction? I have read the phpBB bridging guide. If only there is a guide for wrapping and bridging phpauction :D

videohead: Are you working on the codes to have phpAuction integrated with Joomla or are you searching for people to work on in? I seriously think there is a need for phpauction to work with Joomla!

videohead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by videohead » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:23 pm

I'm interested in project managing and funding the development of an integrated Joomla auction component which would be GPL.

Josh G
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Josh G » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:50 pm

I too was looking to bridge Joomla & PhP Auction for my website - http://wisconsin-auctions.com . As predator had mentioned, you have to charge for it.

As silverfang had mentioned, it would be great to see an auction component for joomla.

lorenamtzm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lorenamtzm » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Our latest version can easily be integrated with other application such as Joomla.
Virtually all pages in enuukAuction platform provide different ways to display data. By
default HTML is returned after a user request, using a HTML template filled with the
returned data. But there are other formats to get the processed data, and these formats
can even be extended easily.
I invite you to check it at:
http://www.phpauction.net/products/enuu ... -platform/
Thanks,
L

flatsilver
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by flatsilver » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:52 pm

dont bother with the above link unless you have $1000.00 to spend

joomwork
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by joomwork » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Yeah, interesting but very costly : (

Lady Sharon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Lady Sharon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Hoping to there will be an extention for joomla soon. Have a webshop (VM) but would love to have some auctions in between.

keremsah
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by keremsah » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:15 am

doesnt works here also, weird

Return to “Integration & Bridges - 1.0.x”