Couriers need ordering/tracking, dispatch system. tweak existing stuff?

Discuss the integration of Joomla! with other products. ie SMF, phpbb etc etc

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
deft
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Couriers need ordering/tracking, dispatch system. tweak existing stuff?

Post by deft » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:13 am

I'm another independant courier in another city struggling with the same problem indy couriers are facing in cities all over the world.  We can't take on large volumes, or accept orders online in any organized way - without the use of expensive and often clumsy ordering and tracking software.  Our larger competetors all use software we can't afford.

I know about open-source CMS systems like Mambo and PHP/Post-Nuke, etc. and am aware that plenty of adaptations exist.

I've been searching forever for a combination of modules under a CMS that would give my site the functionality it needs. 

Basically, if you took a bug-tracking system, replaced every instance of the word "Bug" with "Package", and make the Enter-Bug form use fields covering To and From addresses, priority, size/weight, etc. - and let the user fill in either with information stored in their address book - that would be what we need.

As it is I haven't found anything yet close enough to this that I could tweak it that far.  Marketing-oriented Customer Resource Managers have address books built in,  Help-Desk trouble ticket systems have the time-tracking capabilities, but we need the two hashed together.

Here's some example of the expensive systems I'm trying to emulate;

www.couriercomplete.com  (best example yet - but I wouldn't use it even if it was free.  It's "Based on .NET technology".)

www.cxtsoftware.com

www.datatrac.com  (the most commonly used, with horrible results.  very expensive.)

www.ascar.com

www.penchant.com

Any advice on where to start would be highly appreciated.  As for now I've given up on finding the magic bullet and I'm installing Mambo/Joomla and I'll see what I can make it do.

Do you think this is a good idea?  Any other suggestions?  .. Modules / Add-Ons / hacks I should look at?
Last edited by deft on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dsheppard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Couriers need ordering/tracking, dispatch system. tweak existing stuff?

Post by dsheppard » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:09 pm

There are a few helpdesk applications that are integrated:

Globodigital: http://www.globodigital.net/
Globodigital already produces several specialty editions targeting different industries. Worth contacting.

Active6 Helpdesk: http://mambo.active6.com/
Don't know if this is still actvely developed, but it's open source.

xsor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Couriers need ordering/tracking, dispatch system. tweak exis

Post by xsor » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:10 am

I spend around 1 day, but i haven't find any joomla component which give me b2b and b2c tracking system for customers orders.

Return to “Integration & Bridges - 1.0.x”