wordpress integration to joomla

Discuss the integration of Joomla! with other products. ie SMF, phpbb etc etc

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
vege
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

wordpress integration to joomla

Post by vege » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:13 pm

If any developer  is interested to develope this component i would like to donate atleat 100 dollars.  I am pretty sure so many guy's are intersted and he can resell it if he/she wants!!
Beliveing in Opensource Concept

Dan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: wordpress integration to joomla

Post by Dan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:45 am

True vege,

It would seem a logical component to have... however, when I first moved to Mambo (from wordpress), I integrated by using a wrapper.

Wordpress automatically changed it's background to suit the template (transparent-like) and it worked trouble free....  I've switched to just using the Mambo/Joomla-blog feature now with AKOComment.  But you could probably get away with using both content management systems without any hassle forever.. but that said, it is nice to have it packaged as one.

Good luck!!

RedDwarf
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RedDwarf » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:08 pm

I would definitely be interested as well. I currently have a Wordpress site that would be great in Joomla's format, but the thought of losing so many posts makes it not a viable option.  :(

The wrapper is a quick fix, but it's a scrolling nightmare and not very easy on the eyes.

jc_rocksmyfaceoff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jc_rocksmyfaceoff » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:12 pm

is there any further development of this integration, or is there wordpress available as a component, er, whatever.  I'm new to joomla/mambo, etc, so yeah.

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 am

This may not help WOrdpress users, but there's work being done towards integrating B2Evolution.  Considering both are so similar, it might be good for you, though I don't know about importing WP data into B2E.

One of the good things about B2E is that it's multi lingual and multi users/blogs out of the box :)

random
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by random » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:56 am

Why not just have both? thats what I do, I have a couple of Joomla sites and they both are linked to WP blogs.

jc_rocksmyfaceoff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jc_rocksmyfaceoff » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:53 am

random wrote: Why not just have both? thats what I do, I have a couple of Joomla sites and they both are linked to WP blogs.
yes, both is an awesome idea.. but integration and linking are two very different things.  Sure, I could link it no problem, but it wouldn't theme with the site, and I kinda want that.

visualweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by visualweb » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:35 am

Pulling WP content in to Joomla (under the constraints of a wrapper) is in theory an option but, a rather inglorious hack at best.

Search bots and Directory bots have no data trail to follow with content that appears in a wrapper.
  • Window (iFrame) constraints muddy up the layout and often force the designer to accept unacceptable V and H scroll bars.
  • At this point, the wrapper feature -doesn't- include the ability to force-frame (meaning that, if a viewer finds a direct link to WP content, that content loads in it's default style, without the Joomla site design and navigation)
One of the chief benefits to using WP is the ability to display relevant and timely "toolsets" which readers can use to enhance and extend your sites content.

WP features the ability to allow the reader to:
  • leave a trackable comment (the comment can be picked up as an independent rss feed
  • Permalink; offers a quick and easy way to reference an article or topic for remote commentary
  • Trackback; allows readers the ability to comment on an article from a remote website. e.g. multi-threaded discussion...
In addition to the toolsets I've listed, WordPress offers one of the most efficient ways of incorporating SEF content structure I've found in any OSD application with their "permalink" structure and the use of template tags.

That said, Joomla offers a far more robust Content Management solution that works best for 95% of my project needs and the needs of my clients. It's those other 5% who could really use the beneficial "extended blogging" tools found commonly in -up to date- blogging apps that I've got to answer to.
"sparks through the rubble" - http://1guywebdesign.com - Joomla Tutorials, Tips and Tweaks

bluesaze
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bluesaze » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:29 pm

he he  :D :D WOrdpress Vs B2evolution I started a thread once in support of Wordpress these guys Bashed me up  :laugh: :laugh: so now I am waiting for the b2evo bridge

*Bluesaze goes to Predator ;) and bribes him to drop b2evolution and consider making a bridge for wordpress
A. N. Jacob-New
The Tech & Design Blog http://www.Clazh.com

visualweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by visualweb » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:37 pm

WP or Evo, both carry pretty much the same "extended" feature sets with regards to content exchange (comments, ping/trackback, etc.)  The inclusion of "standardized" feature enhancements to Joomla's Blog engine would be the icing on the cake of an otherwise nearly perfect CM which I'd hope was somewhere on the development horizon.

In the interim I `spoze it's up to us and 3pd's to incite core-dev interest.

Not like they don't have enough on their collective plates to deal with already..

:-)
"sparks through the rubble" - http://1guywebdesign.com - Joomla Tutorials, Tips and Tweaks

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:26 pm

bluesaze wrote: I started a thread once in support of Wordpress these guys Bashed me up 
I'm sorry you're bitter about this.  I did not bash you up.  I merely expressed my preference and explained why. 

@visualweb, yes, WP and b2E are similar in many ways, they both started life as the same product I think, and forked.  I personally prefer B2E because of multi blog, multi user, and multi language out of the box.  Note I'm not bashing you, just stating my preference ;)

visualweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by visualweb » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:39 pm

no bashing inferred vavroom, I like (and use) both B2 and WP. Personally, the dynamics of the particular project dictate which (if any) OS application I choose to develop around. It's all about clients gettin' the "warm fuzzy", tools are just a means to the end.

vis

bluesaze
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bluesaze » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:49 am

vavroom wrote: I'm sorry you're bitter about this.  I did not bash you up.  I merely expressed my preference and explained why. 
Hey Nic you takes things too seriously I meant it as a joke (Notice the Smileys). I have No problems with b2evo I just like wordpress better thats all.
A. N. Jacob-New
The Tech & Design Blog http://www.Clazh.com

vege
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by vege » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:41 am

b2evolution is also good . Is there any approximate target date for b2 integration?
Beliveing in Opensource Concept

coldfrost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: wordpress integration to joomla and Plog/LifeType?

Post by coldfrost » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:33 am

vavroom wrote: This may not help WOrdpress users, but there's work being done towards integrating B2Evolution.  Considering both are so similar, it might be good for you, though I don't know about importing WP data into B2E.

One of the good things about B2E is that it's multi lingual and multi users/blogs out of the box :)
Hi

Does anyone use Plog, or LifeType as it is called now?
This is a great blogging software with a great multiblog-interface.
I have problems integrating it with Joomla, mainly because I'm not so skilled in php :-[
Could someone be interested in helping out with this integrating, or guide me to some tips and tricks for dummies? ;)

rsuplido
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rsuplido » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:07 pm

I have managed to do this at my site: http://www.internettablettlalk.com

Notice that the main page is Mambo. I used Predator's vBridge, and created my own bridge from Wordpress to vBulletin. It works perfectly. While you still need to create a separate user(s) as author(s) in Wordpress, comments uses vBulletin. You can check out the Wordpress blog component of the site at: http://www.internettablettalk.com/blog

Hope this helps.

malibu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by malibu » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:10 am

Looks like Marko is almost done with this >>>

http://www.joomladeveloping.org/compone ... Itemid,29/

Guess bluesaze wins the battle after all!!!!  ;) :) ;) :) ;)

(notice the multiple smileys)
~Dan

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_____
"Action is eloquence..."  --William Shakespeare

pushfrog98
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pushfrog98 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:33 pm

looks like he is done... nice product!
- Jared Smith

designguru
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by designguru » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:57 pm

I've heard about b2evo for some time yet never checked it out as I've always just built ad-hoc blogs in Joomla using conten blog setups.... thanks to this thread I just went to b2evolution.net and am ecstatic - multi-user blogs!!!! I have 4 development projects on hold at the moment because I was looking for this feature... I can't wait to install a demo and play with it this eve... a joomla integration would be fantastic but I can wait to plug in community-accessible forum etc features.. right now its time to get people blogging! ;)

q.//
Qasim Virjee - Principal, Design Guru
http://www.whyjoomla.comhttp://www.plantseedling.com
(web production & joomla advocacy firm based in Toronto, Canada)

Predator
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Predator » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:43 am

designguru wrote:
I've heard about b2evo for some time yet never checked it out as I've always just built ad-hoc blogs in Joomla using conten blog setups.... thanks to this thread I just went to b2evolution.net and am ecstatic - multi-user blogs!!!! I have 4 development projects on hold at the moment because I was looking for this feature... I can't wait to install a demo and play with it this eve... a joomla integration would be fantastic but I can wait to plug in community-accessible forum etc features.. right now its time to get people blogging! ;)

q.//
b2evolution is also on my list to integrate, but it is also possible to expand WordPress to have multiblogging, currently working on this.
The "Humor, Fun and Games" forum has  more than 2500 Posts, so why not build a "Humor, Fun and Games Working" Group?
Malicious tongues say we have this WG right from the start, they call it core team :D

coldfrost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coldfrost » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:19 pm

But what about Lifetype?

This is a great multiblogging system which is really easy to use and customize for every bloguser if they would like their own template and so on.
Have any of you checked it out?

perg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by perg » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:50 pm

It would be great if latest WP post can be posted on the frontpage.
Just because of this, I'm not using JD-WP and rather installed wordpress in separate folder

I'd be very happy if this function is made possible.

Vickko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Vickko » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:17 am

People, we are waitin for almost two years for some nice, easy, good working multi-user component to use in Joomla. Now we already have wpmu, so somebody please just write a bridge to joomla for this system, and it will be more than great. 

mgltacoma
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mgltacoma » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 pm

I want this component as well. It has been long time since this topic started. I have used mojoblog. They say it is very similar to wordpress.
I am not sure what they meant by "blogging component developed loosely around the popular Open Source blogging platform WordPress"
That is the description of mojoblog. What do you guys think of this? ;)

pree_s
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pree_s » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:24 am

I just want to help people ..the component is available at mojoblog zip file ...u can directly install the component into joomla.... :) :) :) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

visualweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by visualweb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:52 am

Mojoblog is the successor of com_jd-wp and is currently available for download on our support site, http://www.joomlify.com.
Currently, we're at a 0.16 point release *(that's 16 revisions from Markos' last point release of jd-wp) so, yeah... It was/is loosely based around jd-wp. :-)

smodoh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by smodoh » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:44 am

visualweb wrote:Currently, we're at a 0.16 point release
Any idea when you will have a version that works with Joomla!1.5?

Ricky_O
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ricky_O » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:51 pm

random wrote:Why not just have both? thats what I do, I have a couple of Joomla sites and they both are linked to WP blogs.
That's the course I thought best also. We have Joomla 1.5x installed to root of the site and WP in a /blog directory.
May I ask:
How did you link the WP blog in the Joomla Main Menu? Did you use an external link or if an internal link, which one, and if you could, the details of the settings that worked for you.

Thanks in advance.

Sadr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sadr » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:43 pm

If there's anyone around still interested in this, I've put in a request for a WordPress plug-in to be made for JFusion over at the WordPress forum. If you want to increase our chances at getting this done then please register at the forum and let them know how you'd really like this type of plug-in to be made.

Return to “Integration & Bridges - 1.0.x”