Media manager problems after upgrading to 1.5.8

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Firebride
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Media manager problems after upgrading to 1.5.8

Post by Firebride » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Help!

I have just upgraded from Joomla 1.5.7 to Joomla 1.5.8 by uploading the files into the root of my website.

The only issue i picked up is that of my Media Manager. When i try to upload a file by clicking on BROWSE button it just does nothing.

Also the field next to the BROWSE button is gone!

Thanks in advance, much appreciated for any help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OnTheMarkDesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Media manager problems after upgrading to 1.5.8

Post by OnTheMarkDesign » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Firebride wrote:Help!

I have just upgraded from Joomla 1.5.7 to Joomla 1.5.8 by uploading the files into the root of my website.

The only issue i picked up is that of my Media Manager. When i try to upload a file by clicking on BROWSE button it just does nothing.

Also the field next to the BROWSE button is gone!

Thanks in advance, much appreciated for any help!
Browse button helps you find the file from your local pc.

You need to click the button to the right (middle button of the 3), "Start Upload", and it should upload the photo you found and selected with the "browse" button.
Joomla! Community Magazine Team Member
Follow Me at https://twitter.com/OnTheMarkDesign

Firebride
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Firebride » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:52 pm

I think you misunderstood the problem at hand.

Nothing happens when i click either of the 3 buttons. I cannot browse, i cannot upload because there is no pop up box to browse to the file i want to upload when clicking on the BROWSE button.

Please help!

OnTheMarkDesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by OnTheMarkDesign » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:25 pm

Firebride wrote:I think you misunderstood the problem at hand.

Nothing happens when i click either of the 3 buttons. I cannot browse, i cannot upload because there is no pop up box to browse to the file i want to upload when clicking on the BROWSE button.

Please help!
Just did a backup, then updating of Joomla using Magic Updater 1.3.1. from 1.5.7 to 1.5.8 Went to my media manager, successful upload of new picture.

Don't know why you are having problems, but might have been a "corrupt" update when you went from 1.5.7 to 1.5.8.
Joomla! Community Magazine Team Member
Follow Me at https://twitter.com/OnTheMarkDesign

Firebride
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Firebride » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:10 am

What do you suggest? Can i just upload the update package for 1.5.7 to reverse the process? I did not make a backup because i never experienced this problem.

nater77
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nater77 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:39 pm

I had the same problem. Go to the Global Config page and click on system. At the bottom of the screen, select "no" for "enable flash uploader".

Once I made the switch, I'm able to browse and upload.

Could this be related to Flash 10?

snilloconator
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by snilloconator » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:46 pm

nater77 wrote:I had the same problem. Go to the Global Config page and click on system. At the bottom of the screen, select "no" for "enable flash uploader".

Once I made the switch, I'm able to browse and upload.

Could this be related to Flash 10?
That did it for me as well! Thank You!

Firebride
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Firebride » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:45 pm

That worked for me! Still would like to know in order to avoid whatever went wrong.

mic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:53 pm

Firebride wrote:That worked for me! Still would like to know in order to avoid whatever went wrong.
Guess nothing.
Could be related to the 'flash10' issue (thats why this button to disable was made)
http://www.joomx.com - custom extensions and development
http://www.joomlasupportdesk.com - support, migration, training and consulting
Member of the German Joomla Translation Team

Firebride
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Firebride » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Case closed

jolmeda
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jolmeda » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:26 am

Why you closed this case? Since i prefer to user the Flash uploader because we can upload several pictures at a time, disabling it will only work with one picture at a time.

The same thing happened to me after we upgraded to 1.5.8... Does anyone knows what is the corrupt file we have to fix?

Please help
JOlmeda

Jerren
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jerren » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:02 pm

jolmeda wrote:Why you closed this case? Since i prefer to user the Flash uploader because we can upload several pictures at a time, disabling it will only work with one picture at a time.

The same thing happened to me after we upgraded to 1.5.8... Does anyone knows what is the corrupt file we have to fix?

Please help
Just to add some weight to the issue I too am looking for a fix for this as without the flash upload you are limited to upload one file at a time, if you are doing any kind of graphic intensive content uploading one at a time can be extremely tedious. Disabling the flash upload limits you to one file at a time and for some of my client's its not at all unusual for them to want to upload 10-20 images for a set of articles. One at a time with the refreshes and all is just painful. :'(

UPDATE: I have verified this is also an issue with an "out of the box" fresh install of 1.5.8 as well, if that helps...

Jerren
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jerren » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Ok after looking at the BugTracker and doing a bit of poking around I better understand the problem, with the release of Flash 10 Adobe included some new security features to prevent misuse of Flash, in particular the one we are getting bit by is the lock down of the FileReference.browse() method so it cannot be called programatically anymore, it MUST be directly engadged by a user to work. If you de-compile the uploader.swf and look at the browse function:

Code: Select all

function browse(index)
{
	if(instances.index.typelist)
	{
		instances.index.fileReference.browse(instances.index.typelist);

} // end if
	else
	{
		instances.index.fileReference.browse();

}

}
You can see clearly where it's being called by the actionscript, this now thows a security exception in flash player and efectively kills the execution of the script.

Workarounds,

I think there are only two real options for a work around looking at other flash uploaders that have been biten by this. The first is to simply code a flash button to call the fileReference.Browse() method which then would work properly and place that in your page, this is what many are being forced to do now, this involves a bit of re-coding of both the flash component AND Joomla to get it to work properly.

A "quick fix" to do this is actually a lot simpler, just take a page out of Microsoft's play book and have a dialog pop up every time you want to browse files from the page (think the UAC in Vista) and have the actual method called from the yes button in that dialog. This method while being rather annoying has the benefit of 1) not requiring any additional recoding of the Joomla media manager, and 2) is more in line with the traditional web security models since strictly speaking web pages are not supposed to interact with local file systems, although in some cases we want them to.

I'm trying to find the original flash source files for the flash uploader component to try to add the dialog box idea, can anyone point me to where I can find it? I'm assuming it's under the GNU license...

midimarcus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midimarcus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Jerren wrote: I'm trying to find the original flash source files for the flash uploader component to try to add the dialog box idea, can anyone point me to where I can find it? I'm assuming it's under the GNU license...
I'm tring too...but with no luck until now!
Have you found the source fla?
--
Marco Giorgetti :: http://www.marcogiorgetti.com

fillera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fillera » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:30 am

I have the same problem as well... and I'm looking for the uploader.fla in order to adapt it to flash 10 new requirements.

Has anybody found the .fla source?

Thanks in advance.
Fernando

midimarcus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midimarcus » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:59 am

fillera wrote: Has anybody found the .fla source?
I've found a workaround here: http://digitarald.de/project/fancyupload/2-0/
It is a full new version of fancy uploader, but the logic is changed to work with flash player 10.
In particular form buttons now are replaced with flash button to properly work, as you can see here:
http://digitarald.de/project/fancyuploa ... eue-fixed/
--

fillera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fillera » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:17 pm

Thanks a lot for your help, Midimarcus.

But I'm afraid that solution is not so easy...

New FancyUpload class uses Mootools library v1.2, and this new version of Mootools does not keep backwards compatibility!!. So, if you include mootools.1.2 in order to use new FancyUpload, other components, as directory tree or menu bar (at Multimedia Manager), become to show a 'wrong' behaviour...

I just understand why Joomla team does not check out a patch to solve this problem with Flash 10: there are too many components to change... and probably they are planning to solve it in next major release.

Any way, thank you for your interest.

Fernando

midimarcus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midimarcus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:43 pm

fillera wrote: New FancyUpload class uses Mootools library v1.2, and this new version of Mootools does not keep backwards compatibility!!.
That's true!! :(
i've tried to rewrite some classes and functions to make minimal compatibility but it's really complicated and I gave up, as joomla team: I agree with them, it's too complicated for such a basic features which already has an alternative.

I hope Mootools 1.2 will be available in Joomla 1.6. Do you know something about this?
--

frankymannem
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by frankymannem » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 pm

midimarcus wrote:
fillera wrote: New FancyUpload class uses Mootools library v1.2, and this new version of Mootools does not keep backwards compatibility!!.
That's true!! :(
i've tried to rewrite some classes and functions to make minimal compatibility but it's really complicated and I gave up, as joomla team: I agree with them, it's too complicated for such a basic features which already has an alternative.

I hope Mootools 1.2 will be available in Joomla 1.6. Do you know something about this?
it has no backwards compatibility but forward compatibility, so np if not!

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”