Joomla migration to GoDaddy - for other newbies

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
wizard_chef
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joomla migration to GoDaddy - for other newbies

Post by wizard_chef » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:52 am

Some of you experts out there may blast this post, but I am just hoping I can save other newbies hours and hours of blood, sweat, and swearing trying to move a localhost site on a client machine to GoDaddy. If you know php, are comfortable writing Linux scripts, stop reading and go do something useful. This is for newbies who are trying to move a prototype site up to GoDaddy.

GoDaddy currently has an installation program that sets up a lot of stuff for you in the mysterious configuration.php file. I will not go through details, but just lay out for you the no-nos and land mines.

- You are going to find a LOT of hand-holding descriptions of how to migrate a site from the local computer up to another host. DO NOT TRY AND FOLLOW THESE FOR MOVING TO GODADDY!! It will just cause you a lot of grief.

- I wound up after a number of hours of uninstalling and reinstalling Joomla up on GoDaddy just rebuilding my site from scratch up on the site. I would recommend that you do the following. When you install Joomla using GoDaddy Connections, put it in a subdirectory of your site. You can then keep your original code in the root and the site stays up while you are prototyping the new Joomla site. When you're finally finished, just put a redirect in the index.html file in the root. Then, you're live with your new Joomla site.

- If you insist on doing your prototyping on your client in localhost, then you can try using Myphpadmin to copy your db contents up to GoDaddy. A tip .... where the hell is the executable file for Myphpadmin??? Dumb question, I know, but it took me two hours to figure out it is on the wamp (assuming you're running that) menu, the little icon down in the menu bar. Goggle "How do you copy a site from local host to a remote host' and you will find a detailed explanation of how to copy the db contents up to the new site.

That should allow you to 'see' your site in the browser by going to http://www.xxxxxx.yyy/your_subdir/. If not, you're going to have to hack the configuration file, and you can find various posts about how to do that. None of my hacks, however, worked. I was able to 'see' my site after loading the db up, but because a template was missing and some images, I made the crucial blunder of trying to load all of my client Joomla files, overwiritng those on the host. Do Not Do That!! You'll just wind up with a big mess, or at least I did. If you have non-default templates in your site, you're going to have to import them all over again.

This should not be this hard. An open source piece of code that handles this for you would be a great tool. In the meantime, I will do all of my development up on the new site in a subdirectory.

Hope this helps newbies. Experts, strike me down. I'm sure I made lots of blunders that caused my grief, however ........... Joomla is advertised as the CMS package for the non-technical! And ... and I've been working with software in and out of the university for 40 years!!!!! It should not be this difficult.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla migration to GoDaddy - for other newbies

Post by brad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:18 am

Does www.joomlapack.net not work on Godaddy?
Brad Baker
https://xyzulu.hosting
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

wizard_chef
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by wizard_chef » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 pm

so much to learn, so little time ...

I was not aware of Joomlapack. I used the GoDaddy Connections install process to install Joomla and set up the database on GoDaddy, as suggested by their instructions. Whether or not Joomlapack would be an easy interface to moving a site up following or prior to the GoDaddy setup process, I have no idea. Anyone out there listening know the answer to this question?

I did a *lot* of looking on the forum and elsewhere before making my blunders. I'm surprised I didn't run into Joomlapack in my searching.

pingcharlie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pingcharlie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:20 pm

This is great information guys. Thank you for your posts.

I am following wizard_chef's footsteps. Do you know if Joomlapak integrates easily with the Godaddy environment?

Thanks!

JDub007
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JDub007 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:47 pm

I JUST SUCCESSFULLY MIGRATED A SITE from one GoDaddy web space to another (different accounts) using PART of Akeeba (Joomlapack). I **COULD NOT** get Kickstart.php (the on-the-server JPA extraction wizard) working on GoDaddy (kept getting "timeout" errors).

Here is the process:

Explanation of symbols found below
[ROOT] = The root directory of your web space (usually "/").
[OLD_JOOMLA] = The site-root of your OLD Joomla website's files (default "/joomla"; you can change this to whatever)
[NEW_JOOMLA] = Site-root of NEW Joomla website (again, whatever you want, including "/" if you want visitors to see simply "www.xxxxxx.com/index.php". I chose to install to new directory called "j". This way the files don't get mixed into other non-Joomla-related site files).

SUMMARY
A) Back up the old database (via GoDaddy MySQL).
B) Create a new database (via GoDaddy MySQL).
C) Back up the old files w/Akeeba (Joomlapack).
D) Extract Akeeba backup file locally (Akeeba eXtraction Wizard).
E) Edit configuration.php (via FTP & text editor).
F) Edit database backup file (via FTP & text editor).
G) "Restore" database backup to new location (via Godaddy MySQL)
H) Upload extracted files to new location (via FTP).
I) Set up new Joomla website.
You're done!

DETAILED DIRECTIONS
Warning: BEFORE altering any files, make back-ups in a separate directory!

1) Download the Akeeba component for Joomla: http://www.akeebabackup.com/download.html

2) Download the Akeeba eXtraction Wizard for your Operating System: http://www.akeebabackup.com/download.html

3) In Joomla backend: install Akeeba component.

4) FTP to OLD GoDaddy hosting account.
- Create a new directory within [OLD_JOOMLA] directory. Assign it full permissions for user, group, and public.

5) In Joomla backend, using Akeeba component
- Set this new directory as the temporary files directory in Configuration.
- Set to back up "Site files only" (no database files!) as a JPA file (not ZIP).

6) In OLD GoDaddy.com, back up Joomla's SQL database by...
- Select "Hosting" from "Products" list.
- Select "Manage Accounts" for intended domain (NewSiteName.com) to enter "Hosting Controls".
- Select "MySQL" from "Databases" section.
- Select database used by Joomla; "back up" database.
* This will take GoDaddy a while while it is "pending backup" (2 hours?).

7) In NEW GoDaddy.com, create a new database using same SQL area.
* This takes GoDaddy about an hour.

8) FTP to OLD GoDaddy:
- Download backup-archive file you made with Akeeba (you told it where to save this file during backup). Be sure to download file in "binary transfer mode" (in FTP client settings).

9) Install Akeeba eXtraction wizard.
- Use to extract back-up archive file (JPA file).

10) In extracted back-up archive directory, edit "configuration.php" in a plain-text editor.
- You will need to set $host, $ user, $db, and $password.
- $HOST can be found both in GoDaddy's MySQL area and in the backup database file you will be downloading.
- $USER is the user name for the database file you created in the NEW space.
- $db is the same as the user (on GoDaddy sites).
- $password is the password for the database file you created in the NEW space.
- Make sure your text editor does not change the file's extension (put "quotations" around file name to specify full name "configuration.php")

11) FTP to NEW GoDaddy:
- Create new [NEW_JOOMLA] directory (call it what you want, list this directory as $live_site in configuration.php).
- Set [NEW_JOOMLA] directory to full permissions for user, and Read and Execute for Public.
- Upload all files in extracted back-up archive directory to [NEW_JOOMLA] (5000+ file at least).

12) FTP to OLD GoDaddy:
- Download database back up from "[ROOT]/_db_backup".

13) Edit database backup file (SQL file) in a plain-text editor.
- Replace all instances of "#__" (notice there are two _underscores_) with "jos_". This is necessary when using Akeeba back ups. No more database errors!

14) In NEW GoDaddy.com, via SQL area you used before, restore edited database backup file to newly created database.

If the database has been edited correctly and transferred in binary mode, and joomla files have been backed up correctly and also transferred in binary mode, and the configuration.php Joomla file has been modified for the new location and new database, you should have a working website! *Don't forget to change Joomla's settings (via the backend) to fit the new site. Peace.
8) --j

P.S. This took me a total of ~25 hours to figure out! Geez! That's like 400 episodes of Futurama...or something!
P.S.S. Please message any corrections you have for this article to me (via the forums) and I will edit it. Thanks! Tacos!

cat_studios
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cat_studios » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:07 pm

If this is "easy" I would hate to see "hard." Think the moral is, don't choose GoDaddy for Joomla hosting if you envision having to migrate a locally built (from somewhere else) site to a GD host server. Yikes. But, this is not to say I do not appreciate the information and the effort put forth by jdub007. Some soldiers inevitably get killed marking a minefield.

crystalm38
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by crystalm38 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 pm

I have been trying to use the kickstart and it won't work either so now I am going to plan B which would be the Akeeba eXtract Wizard. I downloaded Akeeba eXtract Wizard and then ran the wizard and it unzipped my files. Now I was planning on uploading the contents to my dedicated server from my webhosting company. My questions are:

1. Should I upload everything in binary mode?
2. Also, would just using the full site backup work, does it have the databases included in it? I know that I have to create new databases before I upload but I was wondering if the restore databases was included in the full site backup archive that I made with akeeba backup in joomla.
3. Once I get in there, do I point my browser to what exactly? Would it be http://mysite.com/installation or just http://mysite.com

I seen this post and wondered if I could use these same steps?
So confused what I need to do to get this to work.

Thanks for any help given.
JDub007 wrote:I JUST SUCCESSFULLY MIGRATED A SITE from one GoDaddy web space to another (different accounts) using PART of Akeeba (Joomlapack). I **COULD NOT** get Kickstart.php (the on-the-server JPA extraction wizard) working on GoDaddy (kept getting "timeout" errors).

Here is the process:

Explanation of symbols found below
[ROOT] = The root directory of your web space (usually "/").
[OLD_JOOMLA] = The site-root of your OLD Joomla website's files (default "/joomla"; you can change this to whatever)
[NEW_JOOMLA] = Site-root of NEW Joomla website (again, whatever you want, including "/" if you want visitors to see simply "www.xxxxxx.com/index.php". I chose to install to new directory called "j". This way the files don't get mixed into other non-Joomla-related site files).

SUMMARY
A) Back up the old database (via GoDaddy MySQL).
B) Create a new database (via GoDaddy MySQL).
C) Back up the old files w/Akeeba (Joomlapack).
D) Extract Akeeba backup file locally (Akeeba eXtraction Wizard).
E) Edit configuration.php (via FTP & text editor).
F) Edit database backup file (via FTP & text editor).
G) "Restore" database backup to new location (via Godaddy MySQL)
H) Upload extracted files to new location (via FTP).
I) Set up new Joomla website.
You're done!

DETAILED DIRECTIONS
Warning: BEFORE altering any files, make back-ups in a separate directory!

1) Download the Akeeba component for Joomla: http://www.akeebabackup.com/download.html

2) Download the Akeeba eXtraction Wizard for your Operating System: http://www.akeebabackup.com/download.html

3) In Joomla backend: install Akeeba component.

4) FTP to OLD GoDaddy hosting account.
- Create a new directory within [OLD_JOOMLA] directory. Assign it full permissions for user, group, and public.

5) In Joomla backend, using Akeeba component
- Set this new directory as the temporary files directory in Configuration.
- Set to back up "Site files only" (no database files!) as a JPA file (not ZIP).

6) In OLD GoDaddy.com, back up Joomla's SQL database by...
- Select "Hosting" from "Products" list.
- Select "Manage Accounts" for intended domain (NewSiteName.com) to enter "Hosting Controls".
- Select "MySQL" from "Databases" section.
- Select database used by Joomla; "back up" database.
* This will take GoDaddy a while while it is "pending backup" (2 hours?).

7) In NEW GoDaddy.com, create a new database using same SQL area.
* This takes GoDaddy about an hour.

8) FTP to OLD GoDaddy:
- Download backup-archive file you made with Akeeba (you told it where to save this file during backup). Be sure to download file in "binary transfer mode" (in FTP client settings).

9) Install Akeeba eXtraction wizard.
- Use to extract back-up archive file (JPA file).

10) In extracted back-up archive directory, edit "configuration.php" in a plain-text editor.
- $HOST can be found both in GoDaddy's MySQL area and in the backup database file you will be downloading.
- Make sure your text editor does not change the file's extension (put "quotations" around file name to specify full name "configuration.php")

11) FTP to NEW GoDaddy:
- Create new [NEW_JOOMLA] directory (call it what you want, list this directory as $live_site in configuration.php).
- Set [NEW_JOOMLA] directory to full permissions for user, and Read and Execute for Public.
- Upload all files in extracted back-up archive directory to [NEW_JOOMLA] (5000+ file at least).

12) FTP to OLD GoDaddy:
- Download database back up from "[ROOT]/_db_backup".

13) Edit database backup file (SQL file) in a plain-text editor.
- Replace all instances of "#__" (notice there are two _underscores_) with "jos_". This is necessary when using Akeeba back ups. No more database errors!

14) In NEW GoDaddy.com, via SQL area you used before, restore edited database backup file to newly created database.

If the database has been edited correctly and transferred in binary mode, and joomla files have been backed up correctly and also transferred in binary mode, and the configuration.php Joomla file has been modified for the new location and new database, you should have a working website! *Don't forget to change Joomla's settings (via the backend) to fit the new site. Peace.
8) --j

P.S. This took me a total of ~25 hours to figure out! Geez! That's like 400 episodes of Futurama...or something!
P.S.S. Please message any corrections you have for this article to me (via the forums) and I will edit it. Thanks! Tacos!

crystalm38
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by crystalm38 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Check this out, this is what I got from Akeeba's forum, and I am going to go try it out:

Nicolas wrote:
Hi! Let's get directly to the good stuff:

1. Yes, it's best to upload everything in binary.
2. Yes, it's a full backup and the database is always included. FYI, the actual restoration script is included in the installation directory and your database dumps are inside it (in installation/sql, the files joomla.sql and joomla.s*). You can check it out if you want.
3. http://www.mysite.com/installation/index.php

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 pm

crystalm38 wrote:My questions are:

1. Should I upload everything in binary mode?
2. Also, would just using the full site backup work, does it have the databases included in it? I know that I have to create new databases before I upload but I was wondering if the restore databases was included in the full site backup archive that I made with akeeba backup in joomla.
3. Once I get in there, do I point my browser to what exactly? Would it be http://mysite.com/installation or just http://mysite.com
1. You should upload in Auto mode unless you are concerned about the end of line return change in some files. This should not be a concern if you just want a working Joomla site, it is something just the techies look at.
2. The full site backup includes the database and it will restore the old database during the install.
3. Once the site backup files are on your server and they are in the root folder you can just go to your home page and the install should start, you will need a new database previously setup to install with;
http://mysite.com
or
http://www.mysite.com

crystalm38
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by crystalm38 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:07 pm

I remember reading somewhere that if you use Akeeba Extract that you will need to change the htaccess and the config file. And for the life of me, I can't find where I read that at and what all I am suppose to change. Do you have any info on this? I have started uploading all contents that have been extracted by using Akeeba extract wizard and I didn't change any of those files. Can I do that after I upload everything?

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 pm

As far as I know the Kickstart file only extracts the backup file on the server, you then go to the home page where the install begins. At the end the kickstart file will delete the installation folder completing the install. The config changes should be done as part of the install, the installer is not the default Joomla one it is one modified by Akeeba so it can restore a site rather then just install a new copy of Joomla.

The .htaccess file is probably just the same one you had on the old server, so if the new server does not work with the default .htaccess file or the old server required you to modify the .htaccess file to get it to work then the .htaccess file may not work on the new server. With GoDaddy you need to wait half an hour to a day before a new .htaccess file is activated on their server. As such you may need to temporarily disable the Joomla SEF settings while waiting for your .htaccess file to activate.

crystalm38
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by crystalm38 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:36 pm

Ok, tys but I am not using kickstart because I couldn't get it to work. But I am using the akeeba extract wizard.

So after I extract everything using the akeeba extract wizard, I am uploading everything to the godaddy server. When that is done, should I go and try to install it or should I go first and change the htaccess file? I am confused because I am showing to have all of these in my files, am I suppose to have them all? I ask this because I have had some issues with hackers in the past and not sure if they are suppose to be there.

.htaccess.XXX
.htaccess.ORG
.htaccess.NEW
.htaccess

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:28 am

Joomla has only the one htaccess file, it is htaccess.txt by default and it is your choice whether to enable the SEF settings and rename the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess . Of the four files you listed only one could be the Joomla one;
.htaccess.XXX
.htaccess.ORG
.htaccess.NEW
.htaccess
the .htaccess file, the others look like hacks and if they are it is quite likely that the .htaccess file has been hacked as well. Before restoring your site you should go through the security tips and maybe post to the Security Forum to see if they can help you remove the hacked files from your site.

pearlcaviar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pearlcaviar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm trying to move my joomla site from my current host to Godaddy as their 4GH plans seem to be too good enough. But the switch seems to be a big problem too.

sixeyeco
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sixeyeco » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm

I just tried moving my site to GoDaddy using Akeeba's Site Transfer Wizard. No joy. I keep getting ftp connection errors. It's the same error I was getting trying a manual install of a fresh Joomla! site.

GoDaddy finally returned 1.5 to the list of auto install software after only offering 1.6 for way too long and I will try the steps outlined above but really, can't Godaddy get their [censored] together?

sixeyeco
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sixeyeco » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Thank you Wizard_Chef.

With quite a lot of research and Tylenol I was able to restore Joomla! sites to GoDaddy. Here's the steps I used to move 10 Joomla! sites to my 4G hosting at GoDaddy (if you are familiar with restoring a site via Akeeba/Kickstart then just read step #7). If you are somewhat new I suggest starting at the beginning. And open a text editor so that you can have a place to copy and paste some information.

1. Create a database in GoDaddy control panel. Make note of the database name and password. The database status will be "pending" for a period of time (if you are moving several sites I suggest you create all of your databases at one time).
2. Once the database status is "setup" click on the pencil and make note of the host name. It will look something like this: databasename.db.1234567.hostedresource.com
3. Go to your current Joomla! admin panel and create a full backup (database and files) using the Akeeba Backup component.
4. Move the backup file (YourSite.jpa) to the desired folder on GoDaddy's server. I like ssh access because of the speed using the wget command but you can download it and then upload via FTP.
5. Unzip kickstart's zip file to the same directory.
6. In your browser navigate to http://YourSite/kickstart.php and proceed with restoration. The installer will ask you for information. This is when the text editor copy and paste thing will come in handy.
7. When the installer asks for your FTP credentials change nothing and click NEXT.

The installation should then move forward. When it is complete you should be prompted to clean up the installation folder and files. Go ahead and access your site's front end and then log in to your admin panel. Verify that Joomla! can install mods, comps, plugs, etc.

Not sure if this solves it for everyone but I'm happy with the result.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:19 pm

sixeyeco wrote:Thank you Wizard_Chef.
Please search the web for the meaning of the word "necroposting" (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... croposting)

This does not make sense at all. If you want to contribute post this kind of info on an actual issue and not on a total necro?

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
-> Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
-> Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
-> Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services

sixeyeco
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sixeyeco » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:13 pm

My sincere apologies to the community. I have a lot to learn and will try harder next time I think about posting. I truly thought this was an active thread and a current issue that others were still experiencing.

toddb575
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by toddb575 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:49 pm

cat_studios wrote:If this is "easy" I would hate to see "hard." Think the moral is, don't choose GoDaddy for Joomla hosting if you envision having to migrate a locally built (from somewhere else) site to a GD host server. Yikes. But, this is not to say I do not appreciate the information and the effort put forth by jdub007. Some soldiers inevitably get killed marking a minefield.
That Exactly What I am looking for, just opening a thread to explain my problem,
And want to add that if I want to manage several Joomla website in a single joomla admin panel, Is it possible?Or is there have any multiple networking system or domain mapping plugin/extension just like Wordpress.
The map is not the territory. - Alfred Korzybski clonazepam side effects

mysticmedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mysticmedia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:34 am

Whoa... that's a lot of 'making things harder than they should be'.
There's a very simple way of dong this. If you're moving from one server to another or moving a local development site to a live environment, the procedure's the same.

Compress all the files of the Joomla site. Backup the database in .sql format.
Have your live environment all ready, ie: If it's going in root, then you're good there. If it's going in a folder or as add-on domain, make sure you have that folder created. Then go into SQL in your GoDaddy host account and create a new database in the same name of the development database.

Now using ftp from within Godaddy's Hosting Control Center, upload the compressed site file. Now extract it to the destination (root or folder).
Now go to the new database you created and import the site's database.

Now just edit the configuration.php file to reflect the proper credentials (tmp path, etc). Test the site.... and boom...... there you go!
It's really very simple. It's just basic: Compress> create> upload> import> extract> edit> test.

On a side note: Even though GoDaddy's hosting control is a little funky, and isn't the usual CPanel or Plesk that we're used to... the benefits of the hosting is well worth it. Their 4GH is definitely a step above almost every other shared hosting out there. I moved a company site from Host Gator to GoDaddy and immediately noticed the improvement in performance and latency. I haven't traditionally been a big GoDaddy hosting fan, but this new 4GH hosting is impressing me.

Hope this helps!!

char_t
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by char_t » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:48 pm

GoDaddy has great customer service - have you contacted them? - Char http://top3hostreview.com

beespoke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by beespoke » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 am

Seriously. Did someone just say that godaddy has excellent customer service? You've got to be kidding me. They do not have any techs who support joomla. They will not help you with integration of your local host joomla pack into theirs. They do not help with coding or configuration. Seriously.

MikeFromHC
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MikeFromHC » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 am

In extracted back-up archive directory, edit "configuration.php" in a plain-text editor.
My $hostname includes the databasename.db.xxxxxxxx.yyyyyyyyyyyyyy.com where "x" is a digit and "y" is a letter. I can't find a reference to this in PHPadmin.
There is also a "$secret" Does this have to be changed?

mathieullg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mathieullg » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Hello everybody,

I am transferring a Joomla website which I had created a long time ago (it still runs 1.5) on a free (but limited) hosting platform (free.fr). I purchased an account on Godaddy.com to do this.

To do the transfer, I saved the files with Filezila and uploaded them on Godaddy, then I saved the php database and uploaded it on Godaddy too. I also changed the parameter in configuration.php

I'm almost there, it almost works, I can see the first page etc. but I have some issues:
1. The homepage works well (images, texts, styles etc), but all the other pages can only show text (image links are broken and text style is not there)
2. I cannot access my admin account (it's as if the admin log/pass wasn't transferred)
3. I don't manage to transfer the joomla install into the cPanel of GoDaddy (it's a problem since I'd like to use their system to update Joomla)

Just so you can have a look, the old website is http://rencontresaubrac.free.fr and the new http://www.festival-litteraire.com

Thanks a lot in advance for your ideas / tips

Best

M

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Your site links seem to be working fine for me, if you still have an issue try deleting your browser's temp Internet files.

In the past GoDaddy had an issue with .htaccess files, they needed to be on the site for 2 to 24 hrs. before GoDaddy activated them. You have SEF enabled which uses the Joomla .htaccess file and that could have been you page display issue at first. Your login issue may be a .htaccess or password file in the admin folder from the old server, could also be you have a Security extension installed that doesn't work on the new GoDaddy server.

I don't think you can Import a Joomla site into the GoDaddy cPanel, maybe you can use it to do a Joomla 2.5 site that you can migrate your 1.5 site into.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”