Menu items missing after upgrade v1.5.18 to v.1.5.20

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jqv
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Menu items missing after upgrade v1.5.18 to v.1.5.20

Post by jqv » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:29 pm

ChiefGoFor wrote:@jqv,
When you exported the database, you should have (and may still want to) search your entire database for the old Menu Types. The modules in jos_modules would have come up and you could have change them. :)
Ah, yes! Sorry! I see now what I did wrong... :-[ I searched and replaced including apostrophe marks like 'My Special Menu' instead of just plain My Special Menu and that will not work in the field params...

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO `jos_modules` (`id`, `title`, `content`, `ordering`, `position`, `checked_out`, `checked_out_time`, `published`, `module`, `numnews`, `access`, `showtitle`, `params`, `iscore`, `client_id`, `control`) VALUES (22, 'My Special Menu', '', 6, 'left', 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 1, 'mod_mainmenu', 0, 0, 1, 'class_sfx=\nmoduleclass_sfx=\nmenutype=My Special Menu\nmenu_style=vert_indent\nfull_active_id=0\ncache=0\nmenu_images=0\nmenu_images_align=0\nexpand_menu=0\nactivate_parent=0\nindent_image=0\nindent_image1=\nindent_image2=\nindent_image3=\nindent_image4=\nindent_image5=\nindent_image6=\nspacer=\nend_spacer=', 0, 0, '')
Thanks again :)

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:09 am

No problem! :) Something to keep in mind, sometimes you name the menu module with the same name and you would not want to change it. If you did (you would probably notice it on the front end), you can just edit it back from the Administrator.

I think between everyone that has replied, we pretty much have several ways of attacking this problem. Great work everyone!
Joomla! ...because open source matters
"Try to answer two questions for every one question you ask." - Me

Pjries
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pjries » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Just a note - first, thanks Ken and all for coming up with a fix for this. The problem I've run into is that while I did follow the rules for menu naming, by leaving out spaces in the unique name, I did use uppercase and lowercase letters in those names. And that's where this change in the core code of Joomla 1.5.20 has turned into a headache for me. I would respectfully suggest that the tooltip be adjusted to mention case-sensitivity or that the core code for the filter be changed to eliminate the need for a case-sensitive name. Case-sensitivity is not an issue for field names in mysql databases and I'm not sure that I understand why it is now required for Joomla menus. Thanks again for your help.

fish4red
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fish4red » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks for very detailed info Chief. Unfortunately before I got to your post I tried another fix. I renamed the menu with the missing items though the joomla menu manager. I removed the spaces and took out the capitals. That did not fix anything for me.

So of course now when I look at the DB there is no spaces. But I did change it to see what would happen. Originaly the menu in question was called Sub Menu. With the Joomla menu manager I changed all instances of that it submenu. Now those changed show in the DB. So I tried to change it to sub_menu just for fun and no luck. Still missing my menu items.

Any ideas?
Visit, Join, and Contribute.
http://www.jugtb.com

stu-goblue!
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stu-goblue! » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:10 am

One other thing: I noticed that it also doesn't like double hyphens "--" in the title and/or unique name. My menu was titled top--test (don't ask me why; I don't remember), and after the upgrade to 1.5.20, I lost all the menu items in the menu manager. Eliminating one hyphen solved the problem. I haven't fully tested the Joomap or other extensions, but basic functionality has returned.

Thanks to all the posters for your help with this issue.

Cheers,
Stuart
Cheers,
Stuart
http://justahack.com

ambermiles
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ambermiles » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:29 am

I'm a little lost. I looked under mysql and my database of menus does not have any hyphens or spaces.

stu-goblue!
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stu-goblue! » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:56 am

Oops - I found a place where simply renaming the unique name from the menu manager doesn't work: In the ja_Purity_II template. It uses the menu name as the menu module from within the template editor. When I renamed the menu name, the template lost track of which one I was using.

I didn't try Kenneth's database fix, but I suspect he's right if you need to catch all the references.

Cheers,
Stuart
Cheers,
Stuart
http://justahack.com

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 am

fish4red,

Are you still having issues?

kenya
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kenya » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:11 pm

so is this reported as a bug that needs to be fixed or this is the new way forward with Joomla installs? If that's the case, its going to be such a pain to change all lings that don't conform to the caps and space restriction. Bummer

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:52 pm

kenya wrote:so is this reported as a bug that needs to be fixed or this is the new way forward with Joomla installs? If that's the case, its going to be such a pain to change all lings that don't conform to the caps and space restriction. Bummer
Hi Kenya,

New installs are not infected. This is only an issue on previous versions that were upgraded to 1.5.20 AND where the menutype had spaces or upper case letters.

rajeshatbuzz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rajeshatbuzz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:31 pm

I got the same issues and follow the steps give by ChiefGoFor and it is fixed now. However my menu sets were very small

The most easiest way is:

Go To - Menu Manager
Go To - Click on the menu which has issues
Change the Unique name without space and save it...
cmsGalaxy Team, Web Developer, Bangalore, India
Website Design - Development - SEO - Joomla
www.cmsGalaxy.com

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:34 am

I do not want to sound like a broken record, but the way you listed may seem like the easiest way, but it does not work in all cases. In fact if certain extensions are installed, they may start acting up if it is done the way that you and others have said in this thread.

Thank you for your input though. I do not want to discourage you from answering questions. :)

mervson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mervson » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 pm

centsman wrote:Using the menu manager, try removing the spaces in the unique name...
I must agree. one of my menus was driving me crazy.
I saw centsman's post. looked at the menu unique name, it had several spaces. I removed all of them and replaced them with dashes, because when I pulled up the menu its unique name was showing with dashes despite the unique name only having spaces.

Remove the spaces and/or match the name you see when you find your empty menu.

I think it is a matter of matching the new name that the upgrade has forced on your menu.
Once I corrected the name to match. I can't put the spaces back in. Joomla won't let me.

LFC_INC
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by LFC_INC » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:40 am

Awesome, can't believe it was so easy to fix. Just changed the space to a - in the name and it's fixed!

Thank you everyone for you contributions. :)

ermand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ermand » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:02 pm

centsman wrote:Using the menu manager, try removing the spaces in the unique name...
BIG Thank You!

That did it for me.

psic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by psic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:27 am

Hi there - not sure if this is the right thread but I'm not able to see my menu in the backend anymore after upgrading to 1.5.22. Using SW Menu Maker I can see everything but the Joomla Menu Manager won't display any Menu items in the backend. Frontend working fine. I have no Idea what to do to fix this. really annoying since i can't change any menu-related stuff in the backend. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Phil

Alast
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Alast » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:58 pm

I tried the hint in post of "ChiefGoFor", posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:24 am.
In my case I did not have capital letters nor spaces nor German umlaute in the menu names. But when I created a new menu item under "hauptmenue" (German for "mainmenu") I could see it in the Joomla-Backend, but it did not appear in the front end! In the database in the jos_menu section the 'menutype' entry in "INSERT INTO `jos_menu` (`id`, `menutype`,..." was 'mainmenu' for the new entry (visible in the backend) and 'hauptmenue' for the old ones (invisible in the backend). So I changed all to 'mainmenu' in the database and pointer to this "mainmenu" in the template and: the menu entries are again visible in the backend mainmenu.
Might be the problem was, this menu was the only existing. Or does Joomla expect a "mainmenu" with this name? Does not matter to me: I am fine with the problem solved!

Alast

nightshiftc
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by nightshiftc » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:58 am

psic wrote:Hi there - not sure if this is the right thread but I'm not able to see my menu in the backend anymore after upgrading to 1.5.22. Using SW Menu Maker I can see everything but the Joomla Menu Manager won't display any Menu items in the backend. Frontend working fine. I have no Idea what to do to fix this. really annoying since i can't change any menu-related stuff in the backend. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Phil
Did you try any of what was suggested above?
Cristina Solana

ullrich
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ullrich » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Had same problem after upgrading from 1.5.16 to 1.5.22, and at the same time lost all my menu items in JoomFish (which turned out to be a JoomFish problem, caused by a JoomFish update):
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 8#p2353408

ALH4
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ALH4 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:37 pm

I had faced the same problem in Joomla! 1.5.22 Stable.
It cause from native language.
I renamed the Title in Menu Manager from thai to english, it resolved.
The Menu Items over all come and displayed properly.
:D

Hardy
http://www.paidoohost.com
Throughout the world. Fast & Stable Hosting

ArchangelX
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ArchangelX » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Doh...nevermind! Fixed it. Great! Thanks for the help all!

adarack
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adarack » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:06 pm

I just stumbled across this thread after going nuts. Removed the spaces in the unique name and I'm all set - THANK YOU!

linksstreet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by linksstreet » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Sorry this discussion happened ages ago, but I'm experiencing these problems now. When I tried to move my website (v1.5.19) to another server using Akeeba, all my menus disappeared. I can not even add new menus to the website, they do not appear in either the front or back end.

As recommended in the control panel, all my menus have unique names without spaces. Neither do they use upper case.

I also tried exporting SQL and importing on fresh install of same version of Joomla on the new server, but the same happened - no menus at all! Everything else came across fine.

I am scared to upgrade to a new version on the current server because I am sure the menus will disappear, and this will 'break' the live site.

Just can't figure this out! Argghhh :'(

Any help would be much appreciated.

John
Freelance web designer and Web Manager for OneKind, Scotland's leading animal protection charity.

adarack
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adarack » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi John-

I was equally frustrated and though I'm no expert, I'd be happy to take a quick glance at it if you want - pm me if you'd like. Chances are it's something simple, just a matter of finding out what the little bugger is.

Adam

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:35 pm

@ John
Try enabling Debug and Error Reporting in your configuration.php file and see if that gives any info on what the issue is.
details here;
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... e#p2368445

linksstreet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by linksstreet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:00 am

Hello, well I got it sorted. It turns out the menus were disappearing because my old version of Joomla 1.5.9 was incompatible with newer versions of PHP. So I upgraded my site to 1.5.23, then transferred the site across and the menus are now working fine. All the best, John
Freelance web designer and Web Manager for OneKind, Scotland's leading animal protection charity.

yogi799
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by yogi799 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Same here.... No menus and menu items in admin panel after a simple move from one server to a new one.

New one had php 5.3 , the old one 5.2

My old joomla ver was 1.5.11 and none of the trick mentioned here worked (I realize the thread is close to 2 years old)

I had to upgrade joomla ver to 1.5.25 and the menus appeared in the admin but in the front end, only one (out of two) set of menus appeared... I went to one of the items which did not appear and simply opened it and saved and boom - the menu came back in the front end!!
I am so glad I tried that.

So, no renaming, just upgrade joomla to the newest patch of your version and open one item and save it.

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by ChiefGoFor » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 pm

@yogi799

Thank you for posting back the solution that you found to work. That is a great way to "give back" to the community.

nettemor
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by nettemor » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:37 am

Perfect, thank you all for sharing!
I also had a site that moved to another server with a higher php version. Had joomla 1.5.9 and upgraded to 1.5.26 without doing anything else. Now it all works!
What a good day! :-)

dorsa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dorsa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:22 am

Many interesting ideas were
And I will make it easy to upgrade the version of Joomla!. Thank you

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”