Moving 1.5.25 site to another hosting company

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
NeilHall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Moving 1.5.25 site to another hosting company

Post by NeilHall » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi

I manage content on a website that's currently hosted using Joomla version 1.5.25

My website is one of several that are managed in the same hosting solution and I believe in the same Joomla database. The current hosting company provide all common system administrator functions for all sites. Content managers manage individual sites.

I need to move the content for which I'm responsible to another hosting company and to develop a new site. The timescales for this are very tight (the next few days). My current thinking is to load this content into a new dedicated instance of Joomla which I will administer myself.

The site is not a massive site and there's no e-commerce involved. There are quite a few pages of information, an events calendar, a photo gallery, a forum (which, in truth, isn't heavily used). I like the idea of another content management system because I can farm out some content management to some non technical people.

I'm hoping the current hosting company will be able to export my content and site structure and files (e.g. photos) in a format that I can import into a new instance of Joomla. I'm not sure whether there is any part of the current site which may be the intellectual property of the current hosting company.

My questions are
  • Does moving the site as I'm hoping seem possible? Separating my content from other content on the installation

If so, should I install to a 1.5.25 version of Joomla (if it's still available) and then upgrade to a later version of Joomla when I have a working site?

What questions/instructions should I give to the current hosting company to ensure I get the data/content in a usable format?

Is there anything I can do if the current hosting site is note very helpful?
Thanks

Neil

dylanjh
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Moving 1.5.25 site to another hosting company

Post by dylanjh » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi There, Here's my 10 pence worth, in answer to your questions:

1. Yes, Although separating your content from anyone elses will make it a lot more difficult. If it were me, I would take a backup of the complete site, and then delete what I did want to keep.

2. Yes, you will have to do this. Again, if it were me, I would upgrade as soon as you are happy you have the content you want to keep. Upgrading after extensions have been installed makes the upgrade process much harder.

3. Just ask them for a file and database backup (SQL dump) of your site. Then you will have everything you need.

4. Most hosting companies will not do this sort of thing. Instead they point you toward what ever control panel they have, which normally allows you access to your files and database. Speak to the hosts support department if you are unsure.

Good luck
EmailAsUsername - Remove Usernames Joomla! Virtuemart And JomSocial registration http://www.lunarhotel.co.uk Many other extensions supported.

NeilHall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NeilHall » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Dylan

Thanks for your reply, I'll speak to the hosting company as soon as possible to see what can be done - hopefully they can do me a file and database backup as you suggest.

I'm trying to load Joomla on a test host so that I can get a bit of familiarity with the configuration of it. I think I'll be doing a fair bit of reading of posts on this forum over the next few days.

I think the multi site configuration of the current solution will cause me problems. I don't think the hosting company will let me have a copy of all site's data, nor will they give me administrator access to the control panel.

Ho hum, who ever said life would be easy eh?

Cheers

Neil

NeilHall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NeilHall » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:11 pm

I've now heard from my hosting company who say they can't provide everything that would allow me to restore my website onto a new Joomla installation on a new host.

What they have offered is to give me a copy of the database (but no code) and to dump our image files and photos onto a disk. There is, of course, a charge for this!

The company is also suggesting that I start again with my content and to use a newer version of Joomla than the 1.5.25 that we currently have. I can see the sense in this and could put up with the effort to re-input my content. Would I be better to go with 2.5 or 3.0? I'd appreciate any suggestions here.

Thanks

Neil

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Install Akeeba Backup. Take a backup yourself and install on your new server with Kickstart.

dattard
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dattard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 pm

If you have access to the site via FTP and access to the database, it should be not too difficult to make an identical copy of the site. AkeebaBackup is also a good idea to try.
https://www.collectiveray.com - We make Joomla and WordPress Easy: Tutorials, Tips and Tricks, Lots of Free Modules incl. Easy Paypal, Popin Window, Random Flash, Google AdSense, Slide Menu (dropdown), 2CO / Paypal payment, [youtube] module, and more!

NeilHall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NeilHall » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks guys

Unfortunately I don't have administrator access to the site, nor do I have access via FTP so my options are really limited.

Neil

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:20 pm

Take their database backup and install Joomla 1.5.25 on your test server. Drop the tables in your test site's database and Import the sql file they gave you into the database. Figure out what extensions your site was using, install them on the test site and they should pick up the data from the old site that you Imported into your database. Place your image files in the folder your old site was using, check the image links on your old site to see what folder they were in.

That should get you close, you will need the theme your old site used unless it was one of the default ones.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”