advice needed regarding copying Joomla's content

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
trailofdanjeff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

advice needed regarding copying Joomla's content

Post by trailofdanjeff » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 am

Hi
I work for a company that uses Joomla to run its intranet. The Joomla version is 1.5.18 and there is also another install of Joomla in another folder/location (also version 1.5.18).
I would like to use this second install of Joomla for testing purposes.

My question is:
1. I would like to copy the content (articles, documents, menus, contacts etc) from the 'live' Joomla install into the test Joomla install. What's the best way to do this?

I've read that it's best to first upgrade Joomla to version 1.5.25 before doing anything like this but I really don't want to touch any of Joomla's core files on the 'live' intranet in case something goes wrong and we have no intranet (I don't really want to lose my job).

Any advice would be welcome, thanks
Dan

sander_v_bergen
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: advice needed regarding copying Joomla's content

Post by sander_v_bergen » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:11 am

Use Akeeba Backup + Kickstart to copy your website.
I think the latest Akeeba Backup version for Joomla 1.5.x is 3.4.3.

Make sure to use Binary Transfer Type to download/upload the backup file.

The first thing I would suggest is upgrading the copy to the latest version of Joomla 1.5.x (which is 1.5.26). If this goes well you should upgrade your live site too.

After that you can test all you want.

Good luck!

trailofdanjeff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trailofdanjeff » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks for the advice sander_v_bergen. I have Akeeba Backup installed on the 'live' Joomla install already so I'll give this a go.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:41 pm

trailofdanjeff wrote: I've read that it's best to first upgrade Joomla to version 1.5.25 before doing anything like this but I really don't want to touch any of Joomla's core files on the 'live' intranet in case something goes wrong and we have no intranet
do a backup and then update. it should only cause an issue if you fiddled with core files (which you shouldnt) or you get hacked.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

trailofdanjeff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trailofdanjeff » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:29 pm

The thing is I didn't create it, the previous web designer did so I don't know if any of the core files got changed. If I can copy over most of the content from the 'live' intranet and install on the test copy without having to do anything like update the live Joomla site then all the better.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”