Multiple domains in subfolder of public_html folder - how to

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
WGH
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Multiple domains in subfolder of public_html folder - how to

Post by WGH » Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 am

Hi

I want to setup multiple new separate domains in subfolders (subdomain1.com subdomain2.com etc) of my cpanel account. I have an existing domain (maindomain) in my public_html folder. I do not want to interfere with this.

A question is if I do this then will the url's for the new domains in the subfolder be www.maindomain.subdomain.com, www.maindomain.subdomain2.com etc. This is not ideal. I need the new web site URL to be www.subdomain1.com, and www.subdomain2.com etc.

This is to take benefit of hosting multiple sites in one place. I have read multiple threads where the subdomain details are hidden using .htaccess. I need to hide the maindomain part of the url. I have not succeeded so far.

Can I do this and can i be pointed to a thread that successfully achieves this?

scorp2000
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Multiple domains in subfolder of public_html folder - ho

Post by scorp2000 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:54 am

Use Addons feature in Cpanel... during creation of addons domain point domain to sub folder where u put your second website

Cheers

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Multiple domains in subfolder of public_html folder - ho

Post by DaveOzric » Mon May 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Depending on your host you can request the primary cpanel domain be in a subfolder of your public_html folder. Then you can use the addon domain feature in cpanel to create new domains and they have folders outside the main domain. So all domains would be in separate folders not mixed.

I did not want them mixed together for various reasons.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”