Migrating articles and content to new joomla.

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
MVRXCZXK
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Migrating articles and content to new joomla.

Post by MVRXCZXK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:46 am

joomla: 1.5

Hello, I'm fresh in this community and in Joomla. I want to migrate articles and content, but when migrating content, they don't show up news in home page. I'm using phpMyAdmin. I try to enter admin page, but when i click login, then refresh page (AdminExile and Admintools, but its off).

I'm sorry if I did not give, any of the necessary files.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Migrating articles and content to new joomla.

Post by imanickam » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:47 pm

MVRXCZXK wrote:when migrating content, they don't show up news in home page.
Please explain what steps have been taken to migrate the content/articles?
MVRXCZXK wrote:Migrating articles and content to new joomla.
Do you mean migrating your site to the latest version of Joomla?

In case if you are migrating your system from Joomla! 1.5 to the latest version of Joomla, review of the following documents would be of help.
https://docs.joomla.org/Planning_Migrat ... a_1.5_to_3
https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.5_to_3 ... _Migration
https://docs.joomla.org/Migrating_a_Tem ... 1.5_to_3.x
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

MVRXCZXK
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MVRXCZXK » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:21 pm

imanickam wrote:Please explain what steps have been taken to migrate the content/articles?
Export database from server, install joomla 1.5 and import db, next time I import only categories and content, and I can't see this news on home page
imanickam wrote:Do you mean migrating your site to the latest version of Joomla?
Yes, but is only that there are some problems:
- Adminexile working on server, in localhost admin login page is refreshed (login and pass is for sure correct), but I must to disable this plugin from phpmyadmin and ftp (change plugin file and set published 0). I think about export only articles, news and export from admin page, so that's why I try to login. (I know, go to server and install some plugin to migration, but I can't in any way so as not to spoil website)

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:47 pm

For copying a Joomla! site, there is no need to install Joomla! on the destination (site). If possible, suggest using extensions such as Akeeba Backup (https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... eba-backup) for copying the files.

Copying a site involves the following steps:
(a) Copy the files (along with sub-directories) from the source location to the destination location
(b) Export the content of the database from the source location using tools such as phpMyAdmin
(c) Create a database on the destination location
(d) Create a user on the destination site and GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES to the newly created user
(e) Import the content of the database (that has been exported on the source location) on the destination location
(f) Edit the file configuration.php so that the log and tmp directories point to the current destination locations
(g) If need be, edit the file .htaccess on the destination side to suit the environment

Note: Suggest creating a separate directory under the directory htdocs for creating a copy of your site and may be another directory to test the migration.

Once you have created a working local copy of your site, you can embark on the migration.

Be known that the latest version of Joomla! 3.4.6.

If the site is a simple one and you do not have many categories and articles, you might as well install a copy of Joomla! 3.6.4 (of course, in a test/local environment) without sample data and copy the content from the existing live site.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”