Migrating Joomla Site from 1.5.15 to new Host location

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
atlpandey
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by atlpandey » Sun May 20, 2018 2:26 am

Hi,

I am new to Joomla. I have a trivial problem. My uncle has hosted his site on Joomla 1.5.15 with the help of a Third Party guy. It was very costly for him so he asked me to help him. I have hosted a space and domain for him. The third party guy has downloaded the complete files and exported data in SQL file. He gave it to me. on new Space I have extracted the files and imported SQL data in Database. Changed the configuration.php accordingly. The Site is up and running. But Now I am facing a problem that I am unable to install any new plugins or do any configurations from UI. Please help me what can I do. Worth to mention that I dont have access to old Joomla installation. Thanks..
Last edited by toivo on Sun May 20, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: merged cross post and replies - cross posting is against the forum rules, available from https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Migrating old Joomla 1.5 site to new host

Post by sozzled » Sun May 20, 2018 2:35 am

atlpandey wrote:I have a trivial problem.
No, this is not a trivial problem.

You are asking about a version of Joomla that has been dead for years. You are asking about a version of Joomla that is outdated, unsupported and vulnerable to hacking.

And, on top of all of these things, you do not even know how to administer your site in order to "install any new plugins" or "do any configurations from the UI"!

Do you really want to fix these problems?

Buy a book on J! 1.5 (if you want). Read through the documentation about how to install new Joomla extensions. Watch online tutorials about J! 1.5 (if you can find them). Update your website to J! 1.5.26 in preparation for migrating to J! 3.8.7 if you want quick answers to "trivial problems".

Hosting a website is not "costly" in money terms. It depends on what you want, how quickly you want it, and how reliably you want things to work.

And, lastly, tacking a "trivial problem" question on to someone else's forum topic is called forum hijacking and it's not good netiquette.

atlpandey
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by atlpandey » Sun May 20, 2018 3:38 am

sozzled wrote:
atlpandey wrote:I have a trivial problem.
No, this is not a trivial problem.

You are asking about a version of Joomla that has been dead for years. You are asking about a version of Joomla that is outdated, unsupported and vulnerable to hacking.

And, on top of all of these things, you do not even know how to administer your site in order to "install any new plugins" or "do any configurations from the UI"!

Do you really want to fix these problems?

Buy a book on J! 1.5 (if you want). Read through the documentation about how to install new Joomla extensions. Watch online tutorials about J! 1.5 (if you can find them). Update your website to J! 1.5.26 in preparation for migrating to J! 3.8.7 if you want quick answers to "trivial problems".

Hosting a website is not "costly" in money terms. It depends on what you want, how quickly you want it, and how reliably you want things to work.

And, lastly, tacking a "trivial problem" question on to someone else's forum topic is called forum hijacking and it's not good netiquette.
Thanks for providing useless answer. Kindly read my question properly and don't reply if you don't have proper answer.
My question is related to if i have copied all the files and restored the database in new location. do i need to perform any other steps. Thanks..

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun May 20, 2018 3:42 am

If you have copied all the files, restored the [entire] database and that you have the required database permissions to perform just about any kind of database operation we could imagine, ensured that the configuration.php file is correct for the new location, married the database to the file system, made any other changes in relation to the .htaccess file (for example), pointed the domain to the new server and ensured that the version of PHP is appropriate for an outdated, unsupported and vulnerable-to-attack version of J! 1.5 (that is 100+ versions out of date and was released over 9 years ago) ... and you have the correct login permissions as a site administrator to access the backend of the J! site ...

... then, no: you do not need to perform "any other steps". It's trivial, really, isn't it?

atlpandey
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by atlpandey » Sun May 20, 2018 3:47 am

Hi,

I am new to Joomla. I have a problem.

My uncle has hosted his site on Joomla 1.5.15 with the help of a Third Party guy. He asked my help to host it on new location. I have hosted a space and domain for him on GoDaddy.

In order to migrate to a new space I have downloaded the all the files and exported data in SQL file. On the new space I have extracted the files and imported SQL data in Database. Changed the configuration.php accordingly.

The Site is up and running. But unfortunately I am unable to install any new Plugins and update configuration from Admin Console.

Please help me what can I do. Worth to mention that I dont have access to old Joomla installation.

Also do i have any option to migrate it to latest version of Joomla.
Thanks..

atlpandey
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by atlpandey » Sun May 20, 2018 3:52 am

sozzled wrote:If you have copied all the files, restored the [entire] database and that you have the required database permissions to performa just about any kind of database operation we could imagine, ensured that the configuration.php file is correct for the new location, married the database to the file system, made any other changes in relation to the .htaccess file (for example), pointed the domain to the new server and ensured that the version of PHP is appropriate for an outdated, unsupported and vulnerable-to-attack version of J! 1.5 (that is 100+ versions out of date and was released over 9 years ago) ... and you have the correct login permissions as a site administrator to access the backend of the J! site ...

... then, no: you do not need to perform "any other steps". It's trivial, really, isn't it?
Thanks for your kind reply. I will check this.. BTW, Do you know any tool which I can use to Migrating this old Joomla to Latest version or to WordPress. Unfortunately I am not able to install any plugin on the Existing site so am looking for any tool which can extract data from DB and Files if possible. Thanks..

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun May 20, 2018 4:00 am

atlpandey wrote:Do you know any tool which I can use to Migrating this old Joomla to Latest version ...
Yes, there are tools that can be used to migrate your old J! site to the latest version. Migrating does not mean preserving everything. This is a non-trivial exercise. Each migration requires careful planning. If you're out of your depth, best suggestion is to hire a professional to do the job with you.

I have migrated several J! 1.5.x websites to J! 3.x. It's not difficult (the basic site is workable in a few minutes) but it can take a few days to tidy up the "loose ends".
atlpandey wrote:... or to WordPress.
This is the Joomla help forum. If you want information about converting from J! to WP then talk to the WP people.
atlpandey wrote:Unfortunately I am not able to install [anything] on the existing site so am looking for any tool which can extract data from DB and Files if possible.
Well that's going to be a problem. You can copy files through your cPanel or FTP client (e.g. Filezilla) and you can extract and export database information with phpMyAdmin. Definitely non-trivial and not recommended for people who are new to webcraft.

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Sun May 20, 2018 4:06 am

atlpandey wrote: BTW, Do you know any tool which I can use to Migrating this old Joomla to Latest version
Please check https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.5_to_3 ... _Migration
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Migrating Joomla Site from 1.5.15 to new Host location

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun May 20, 2018 6:53 am

First update to version 1.5.26

https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla ... format=zip

Unzip package and upload to your site, overwrtiting all files.

viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860 Please

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 1.5”