Admin Loop, cannot login.

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
depaulus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Admin Loop, cannot login.

Postby depaulus » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 am

I recently installed Joomla, and everything went smoothly, I had it running for a few days, then suddenly I could not login to Admin, I just get caught in a continuous loop, I do not get any error messages (except when I purposely type wrong password)
I have read (I believe) all the threads about this problem, and have tried all the fixes and patches mentioned in the threads.. none of them work.. I have contacted my host and they have confirmed that everything is working normal on my server.

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is in the Database,...  because , Someone mentioned making a backup of my database, then rename the config.php, re upload the "install folder" and run the installation again.. I did this , and I had no problem at all logging into the admin, I then deleted the database and imported my previous database, and the problem started, I just get caught in a loop, and cannot login to admin (no error messages)

I'm really hoping that someone can help me because I have tried everything to my ability, repaired database, optimized database, dropped jos_session, but I  just cannot  solve this irritating problem..

PLEASE any help / advice would really be appreciated.  :'(

de P 

dooza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Postby dooza » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:10 pm

I am having the same problem, but have found out that if you just remove index.php from the address after you have the failure message you are actually logged in and have full access to the admin control panel. I thought I was alone with this problem, but am glad someone else has it. I just hope someone can tell me how to fix it, as its really frustrating.

dooza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby dooza » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Just want to add that it started doing this after upgrading from RC4 to stable. I uploaded the new files over the top of the old ones, then ran diff.sql and deleted the install folder. Everything appeared fine.

depaulus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby depaulus » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi dooza and thanks for your reply... but I do not get any messages at all, all that happens is my "Login" and Password box" empties, unless I actually type a wrong password, then I get a prompt telling me, but otherwise NOTHING!!...
I did try what you mentioned, but I just stay in the loop.
I also  installed Joomla on a completely different server, and went through the normal procedure and without any problem logged into the admin, then I deleted the database and uploaded the other (problem) database, and I get the exact same loop problem.

So I'm sure it is Database related

Anyone??

dooza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby dooza » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Its a shame you can't login the way I do, must be different problems. If its the database I might have a quick nose around and see if anything looks wrong.

savila
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

I cannot login.

Postby savila » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi!

Please, I tried to install JoomlaFCK. It doesn't work so i deleted the zip file from the temporary files. Then I came back to the backend and i cannot login. I have this message:

JAuthentication::__construct: Could not load authentication libraries.

What can I do?

Thank you very much

dooza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby dooza » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:38 pm

I would start a new thread so that its seen properly.

savila
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby savila » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:41 pm

sorry, what is a threat? how can I do that? many thanks!

Oddballo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby Oddballo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:43 pm

I had the same issue last night! But now It''s saying Invalid Token

savila
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby savila » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:21 am

Maybe:

Open phpmyadmin from http://localhost/phpmyadmin/, then you go to jos-plugins, then you edit 'System - Log' putting 1 instead of 0 value in the champ 'published'

the champ published sould be 1 to in 'Authentication - Joomla'

I hope this help you!

depaulus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby depaulus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Thank you very much for your advice savila, I tried what you mentioned, but that did not help, still caight in the loop..

dooza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby dooza » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:27 pm

savila wrote:sorry, what is a threat? how can I do that? many thanks!
A thread is series of posts, starting one means a new topic. Sorry I was not very clear.

kruijd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby kruijd » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Same problem here, I am using Joomla 1.5 stable.

After some successful sessions as administrator, yesterday I wasn't able to login anymore. My username and password are correct and I don't get an 'invalid username or psw' message, it is just not going to the main admin page.

Once in a while I get an 'invalid token' message, but when I remove the 'index.php' part of the URL it is gone, and the URL contains that 'index.php'part again.

I have another site at the same provider, without the problem, so the provider or versions of PHP etc. are not the problem I think.

I am not sure I logged out properly the last time, maybe I just closed IE, but I am not sure.

Like a lot of other people I am pulling out my hair so who has an idea????

Thanks, Jan.

bborrel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby bborrel » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:43 am

I had the same issue and solved it with the following procedure:

1. edited the file administrator/components/com_login/admin.login.php to comment out line 69 ( //LoginController::display() )
2. browsed to the login page
3. got an 'Invalid token' message
4. reedited the admin.login.php file to remove my comment at line 69
5. refreshed the login page in my browser and got the normal login form
6. logged in

For info, the login problem arose after I didn't logged-out properly (I simply exited from my browser).

I don't know if it's relevant or not but before the above procedure I had also cleaned my database:
1. updated all records which fields checked_out were set with '62' to '0'
2. empty the _session table

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Geert-Jan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby Geert-Jan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:41 pm

I have the same loop. When I login with the correct password, I jump back to the login password.
Have been messing about with VirtueMart, without the reading the manual carefully, so I may have caused this myself...

I did notice a new icon top left of some articles, which allowed me to change the articles from the frontend. This was the first time that I saw that icon, and the problem started directly after that.

Solutions welcome, I tried to uncomment (#) the login display line, commented it back, but now the loginscreen does not show the top bar with Joomla any more.

nanqiyou
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby nanqiyou » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:35 am

bborrel wrote:I had the same issue and solved it with the following procedure:

1. edited the file administrator/components/com_login/admin.login.php to comment out line 69 ( //LoginController::display() )
2. browsed to the login page
3. got an 'Invalid token' message
4. reedited the admin.login.php file to remove my comment at line 69
5. refreshed the login page in my browser and got the normal login form
6. logged in

For info, the login problem arose after I didn't logged-out properly (I simply exited from my browser).

I don't know if it's relevant or not but before the above procedure I had also cleaned my database:
1. updated all records which fields checked_out were set with '62' to '0'
2. empty the _session table

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

I tried these steps and got stuck on "Invalid Token" page even though I replace the file with my backup copy. I had to restore to my backup database to get out of it.

Now I am still in that terrible loop which doesn't take my username and password. As some others have said, it doesn't give an error message either unless I purposefully put in the wrong information.

It seems to be a known problem now, surely hope someone can come up with a solution soon.

dooza
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby dooza » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:34 pm

My problem went away all by itself, I don't have a clue why, but suddenly it worked. Sorry.

nanqiyou
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby nanqiyou » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 pm

dooza wrote:My problem went away all by itself, I don't have a clue why, but suddenly it worked. Sorry.

i envy you. I already started the whole process again on another account. I will wait for a while to see if my goes away by itself in a few days. That is hard to believe it will. Thanks a lot for replying.

depaulus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby depaulus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:17 pm

I did everything possible, even had my hosting company look into the problem, they re-created it, and tried everything but they could not solve it.. After 2 weeks I gave up and started from scratch.. so far everything is fine, but it is worrying.. knowing it could happen again.
Good luck, I hope someone can come up with the cause of the problem and a solution

de P.

inoxfire
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby inoxfire » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:52 am

I found the solution:
goto and edit: file administrator/components/com_login/admin.login.php

find:

Code: Select all

JRequest::checkToken() or die( 'Invalid Token' );

replace with:

// JRequest::checkToken() or die( 'Invalid Token' );

nanqiyou
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby nanqiyou » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:34 pm

inoxfire wrote:I found the solution:
goto and edit: file administrator/components/com_login/admin.login.php

find:

replace with:

// JRequest::checkToken() or die( 'Invalid Token' );

I tried your suggestion, I don't get the admin login loop without any error message any more.

And now I am stuck in the "username and password don't match" message. I even changed my password and username to match in the database and it still says they don't match.

ralfD
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby ralfD » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:02 pm

I have the same problem...

From one day to the other I just couldn't log in anymore. It might have been due to incorrect logout, but I'm not sure about that.

So far I've tried by browsing the forums and other websites:
- Removing cookies
- Different browsers
- Turning off my firewall (although it's not local)
- Changing the htaccess.txt in the Joomla root directory to include a php_value session.save_path "/tmp"
- Delete sessions in database
- Reset password
- Upgrade from RC3 -> 1.5.1 (bad?)
- Commenting out the checkToken() method call

Now I don't get even get an error message anymore when the password's not correct. I turned on the debug mode in the configuration.php file, but that's not really helpful in this case, except if there's more than on the bottom part of the page, which I missed.

From my observations, if it helps, on each refresh a new session is stored in the database, including when I try to log in.

I am really frustrated after 6h of figuring out what's wrong and trying to find a solution. :(

Edit:
The username + password checking does seem to work now. Also after logging in a session with the super admin logged in appears in the database, but it also creates a new one directly afterwards (because I'm being returned to the login site). How can I make it pick up the session? Is it the storage maybe?

abacotc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby abacotc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:40 pm

I am haveing the same issue with the "Admin loop" Ok here is what I have. I installed Jfusion. Jfusion instructions you to turn joomla authentication module off. Which I probably did. Now I have decide to uninstall Jfusion (which I did). I forgot to turn Joomla Authentication module back on. I can't log in, I get the "JAuthentication::__construct: Could not load authentication libraries." I follow the instructions on this post. Go to MySql database, change "Authentication Joomla" to 1. I go back and try to login in to administrator back in, but I still cannot log in. The same log in screen is returned to me. This time without the original error message (The "JAuthentication::__construct: Could not load authentication libraries."). I optimized and repaired the database. I now get no error message at all. I just can't log in to the back in, I get the same loop with no error message. I can access the website from the front-end, but cannot get into the administration area. This is a a clean install running Joomla 1.51 stable.I checked the database 3 times. I even checked the database against another Joomla MySQL that is working. Any advise

Thanks in advance

AaronCP
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby AaronCP » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:13 pm

This admin loop started for me yesterday when I upgraded to 1.5.1.

I've tried all the suggested fixes I can find, but none have worked so far.

Joomla was working great for me for the past 3 months and now this.

ralfD
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby ralfD » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:44 pm

The previously mentioned line:

seems to be the one responsible for no error message on invalid login.

The problem of being returned to the same site though after successful login remains. :(

ralfD
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby ralfD » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:16 pm

I've worked myself through the libraries/joomla/session part and it seems the session just can't be stored. Maybe a cookie can't be set, or is it a server problem? (I'm at a webhost, so no php.ini changes, right?)

My cookies ( print_r($_COOKIE) ) are always empty, if called before or after the start session call. The session_id() changes obviously. The authentication does work, since after the login the data is stored in $_SESSION. Just when it refreshes a new session is created, the old one lost.

Does anyone please have a suggestion for me? I know _nothing_ about the Joomla code and it feels like I'm poking around in the dark hoping to stumble upon a solution.

ralfD
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby ralfD » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:50 am

I enabled all error reporting and this is what I get:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/41/d97212303/htdocs/_neu/configuration.php:1) in /homepages/41/d97212303/htdocs/_neu/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 406

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /homepages/41/d97212303/htdocs/_neu/configuration.php:1) in /homepages/41/d97212303/htdocs/_neu/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 406

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/41/d97212303/htdocs/_neu/configuration.php:1) in /homepages/41/d97212303/htdocs/_neu/libraries/joomla/session/session.php on line 408

Since I haven't changed anything in the configuration.php, nothing really can be wrong there... Anyway, here are the first three lines, maybe it's of use to anyone:

<?php
class JConfig {
   var $offline = '0';
   var $editor = 'tinymce';
   var $list_limit = '20';
   var $helpurl = 'http://help.joomla.org';

In session.php:406 the session_start() is called, 408 is the IE header part:

function _start()
   {
      //  start session if not startet
      if( $this->_state == 'restart' ) {
         session_id( $this->_createId() );
      }

session_cache_limiter('none');

session_start();
      // Send modified header for IE 6.0 Security Policy
      header('P3P: CP="NOI ADM DEV PSAi COM NAV OUR OTRo STP IND DEM"');

return true;
   }

What the hell is going on here?! :(

AaronCP
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby AaronCP » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:22 pm

I don't think this release qualifies as "stable" with so many people experiencing the same problem with it.

ChiefGoFor
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Postby ChiefGoFor » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:56 pm

AaronCP wrote:I don't think this release qualifies as "stable" with so many people experiencing the same problem with it.

I assure you that if this would have come up before the release it would have been dealt with. If you would like, please download the latest SVN, test it, and report any issues to the Joomla! 1.5.x_Q&T Forum. Thank you!

I am experiencing the same thing and hope to have a solution on this... of course that assumes that it does not "fix itself". I do not know what cause it... the solution is the big question. :)
Kenneth Crowder - Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Global Moderator - Joomla! ...because open source matters
"Try to answer two questions for every one question you ask." - Me

bunglehaze
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby bunglehaze » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:44 am

Another one with the same loop here too, and for some really odd reason this particular site it eating system RAM when another one built pretty much the same seems stable.

cheers

leigh :D
Bikechatter Motorcycle Media
Motorcycle product reviews, articles and news
http://www.bikechatter.co.uk

Return to “Administration 1.5”