Admin Loop, cannot login.

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Locked
Gantry
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:25 pm
Location: BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by Gantry » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:41 am

With what amounted to basically a fresh install that WORKED, no other extensions installed nor any joomla core uninstalled, my site suddenly stopped letting me login to admin. I did everything that folks suggested in this thread and that thread, including, yes, anything you might suggest that's in these threads. Probably multiple times. I know my way around PHPMyAdmin and the db well enough to execute each potential fix, the same goes for the fixes at the file level.

I really feel sorry for those who had active sites running and had to abandon them. What amazes me is this thread has over 18,000 views, and the other has over 5,000 views! Scanning down for many pages in this board, this issue is clearly critical, and yet I've seen no effective response at all from the devs. Could someone at least drop the community a brief hello and mention what, if anything, is being worked on, out of courtesy for those suffering with this issue. This clearly has to be a very difficult problem for many.

Fortunately my site was brand spankin' new so ima just start over, hopefully it won't happen again, and if it does, my daily backups will hopefully take care of the matter until the problem is resolved. Good luck to all!

cheers

oregueli
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by oregueli » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:47 pm

I've seen multiple supposed solutions for this issue that didn't work for me.
Tampering around, i finally compared the configuration.php of the site wich I coul not log on to with another that I could

the difference was that var $offset= '0' was set to '0' in the blocked web and to '1' in the working web. Changed the number and finally it worked.

Still, I don't know the reason for this problem as I didnt change anything in my web: yesterday it was working, today it was not without my touching anything. So I suppose this issue is going to repeat itself

Chasbagley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by Chasbagley » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:30 am

I too cannot login to my backend.
If this happens at random , what good is the ability to work on your site from there?
By reading the posts I feel like I am at least, not alone.
Help if anyone can.
Thanks

hamedhm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by hamedhm » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:57 pm

hello friends,
I had your problem and solved it by this way
1) use FireFox
2) edit administrator/cache access to 773
3) open configuration.php and upload it again (just open it ,edit it and save it then undo all edits and save it again)
4)repair and optimize Database (it is avaliable on phpmyadmin (take a look at down part of phpmyadmin for repair and optimize Database)),dont forget to make a backup first!!!
5)clean all session (in database jos_session)
6)clean all cache
and now you can login to Administrator page.
If you have checked all solutions,try it too
-----------------------
HHM
Last edited by pe7er on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Manual signature removed. Please use forum signature in profile instead...

User avatar
jgentile
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:41 pm
Contact:

Force SSL caused the 'Admin Loop' for me. Solved.

Post by jgentile » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Whew... after a week of off and on looking into issues that caused my Joomla 1.5.14 site to go into an admin loop (admin screen just refreshes when you login w/ the right credentials)...

... and after looking into session save path stuff, whether the J User! plug was published (it was), whether several other things were the answer...

... I finally sumbled across a guy higher up this thread that mentioned SSL. We had just done this recently. I needed SSL to work for a class registration component I was using.

Turned it off and the admin loop is gone.

Hope this helps someone else.

aosfyc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by aosfyc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:46 am

It's disconcerting that there is no definitive help for what seems to be a pretty basic problem. I am locked out and not sure what I need to do -- even after reading through seven pages of this post. Anyone from Joomla out there willing to throw out a solution?!

M4r7in
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by M4r7in » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:44 pm

kgoumas wrote:ok i find out the correct answer to the problem

download this tool
http://robotics.snu.ac.kr/pds/CrimsonEd ... dt370r.exe

open configuration.php
convert it to encode utf8 w/o bom
save it
and upload it

hope to help u all
Hi kgoumas,

This was exactly my problem!

I had originally set up my site on Windows on a XAMPP installation. After moving it to a hosting company (running Linux), I got the login loop problem. A fresh Joomla install in a parallel dir on the same host worked just fine.

The problem was that configuration.php had a BOM or Byte Order Mark (the first three bytes). The BOM is invisible to most text editors (they use it to detect UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding.)

I used Crimson Editor to remove the BOM, and now everything works again.

Thank you very much. I had been surfing for hours looking for a solution and finally found this.

Hope this will also be a help to others.

/Martin

M4r7in
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by M4r7in » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:13 am

Hi all,

Just a more comprehensive follow-up on my previous message explaining that a Byte Order Mark (BOM) was the cause of the problem.

The problem
As I wrote above, I originally set up my system on a local Windows installation using XAMPP. After moving this installation to the hosted production environment (hosted using Linux) it still worked apart from not allowing me to login. The login screen -- both in the frontend and in the administration-backend -- simply reloaded/looped on every login attempt.

The cause -- a BOM (Byte Order Mark) in configuration.php
My setup is a Danish setup. This means that configuration.php contains Danish characters (e.g. in titles) and these are encoded in UTF-8.

When I moved the installation to the hosted Linux environment, I used FileZilla. After moving all files, I edited the configuration.php using FileZilla by right-clicking the file (in the server-side pane) and choosing "View/Edit". This by default brings up Notepad. The problem is that Notepad tries to be smart. It automatically detect the file as UTF-8 encoded -- and that is the good part. However, when saving the file again, Notepad inserts a BOM (Byte Order Mark) to make it easier for other editors to detect this as an UTF-8 encoded file. (A BOM in UTF-8 is a three-byte sequence which in UTF-8 is a zero-width non-breaking space. This means that the BOM is invisible in most modern editors.)

The problem is: Joomla does not like the BOM and that causes the login loop.

The solution: How to get rid of the BOM?
To remove the BOM, use an editor like Crimson. In the "Document > Encoding" menu you will discover that the file is detected as "UTF-8 with BOM". Change that to "UTF-8 w/o BOM" and save the file again. This will effectlively remove the BOM. (Alternatively, you could use a hex editor and remove the first three bytes, but that is a bit more complicated.)

How to avoid running into the problem in the first place?
Never use Notepad to edit your configuration file. (Basically, Notepad misbehaves by inserting a BOM automatically when it detects UTF-8 characters.) Choose another editor (e.g. Crimson) that does not insert a BOM character automatically if it detects UTF-8 characters. Remember, FileZilla automatically suggests using Notepad (the default Windows editor) when editing server-side files.

A question to some clever guys:
Why does a single UTF-8 char (BOM) have this influence on the login screen? The rest of the site basically works, which means the configuration parameters (like e.g. the database name, user and password) is read correctly from configuration.php. I can also see that the login attempt causes one or two records to be created in the database table jos_session.

My guess is that somehow the BOM makes its way to the produced HTML and causes HTTP-headers regarding cookies to be misinterpreted. This makes it impossible for Joomla to reconnect to the session giving you the same symptoms as if the sessions dir is not writable.

Does anyone with a good technical knowledge on Joomla's inner workings have a good explanation?
(Please no guessing -- only answer if you know why this happens.)

A FAQ entry?
Is there some sort of FAQ where this information could be posted? It seems from my experience, that many users have run into this problem and spent a lot of time trying to solve it.

/Martin

cephalo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by cephalo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:04 pm

This is pretty late to get in on this discussion, but I solved the issue by simply changing
http://mysite.com to https://mysite.com for the $live_site variable in the configuration.php file.

Hope this helps.

cephalo

cephalo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by cephalo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Sorry, I should have elaborated. My Joomla 1.5 install was working great until I turned on SSL. After that I got the admin login loop. I fixed that by changing the $live_site variable as mentioned above. So, this may not be a solution to all of you who are having problem with this issue.

TPRT
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:43 am

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by TPRT » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:20 am

javamate wrote:As usual, I found a solution by using Google (joomla admin error):
http://webunleashed.projectweb.gr/2008/ ... min-panel/

[Joomla! v1.5 reports user name and password do not match. No reason to panic. The solution is simple: changing your administrator password will get things back to normal.

You need to follow this process:

1. Go to go to your phpMyAdmin.
2. Find your Joomla database, normally something like _jo..
3. Select the table jos_users and click on the browse button joomla users Image
4. Find the row where your administrator name is and click on the edit button Image
5. Then, from the row password - varchar(100) select from the column Function the value MD5 and in the column Value type the new temporary password.
6. When you’re finished click on the Go button at the right.
7. Return to your administrator login screen and login with your new credentials.
8. One more step to go: Go to the Site/User Manager panel and change your temporary password.

Hope this was helpful. Check my joomla website at http://www.projectweb.gr/]

I've tried this solution and it worked just fine!
Hope it'll do the trick for others too.
Thank you very much for posting this; I was unable to login to the backend after upgrading to 1.5.15 just now, and this did the trick for me..! :-)

Unfortunately, upgrading using cPanel's Fantastico Deluxe seems to have deleted *all* of the changes I'd made: new menus, new modules (such as Joomfish! for translation), everything...! :-0 Or is there something that I'm missing w/ regard to the upgrade process..?

TPRT

User avatar
Jay44
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1131
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by Jay44 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:14 am

I have had this type of problem when the var_livesite in configuration.php is not set.

var_livesite = ''

should be

var_livesite = 'http://yoursite.com'

Worth a check

J
"Things not being necessary is what makes life interesting" -- Stephen Fry
This is necessary - http://docs.joomla.org/

moleski
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 pm

Re: Force SSL caused the 'Admin Loop' for me. Solved.

Post by moleski » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:28 am

jgentile wrote:Whew...

... I finally stumbled across a guy higher up this thread that mentioned SSL. We had just done this recently. I needed SSL to work for a class registration component I was using.

Turned it off and the admin loop is gone.
Because of the need to pass inspection by a third-party security-checking agency, I can't turn off SSL globally.

What worked for me was hacking /libraries/joomla/environment/uri.php.

To pass inspection, all login forms have to be served securely (https://).

The JURI object was not forming correct secure URLs for parts of the admin components.

The good news is that the hack fixed it for me, for my site, for now. The bad news is that I'll have to re-hack it any time that uri.php is overwritten by an upgrade.

All things considered, I'd rather have that problem than that of the endless loop.

Marty

moleski
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by moleski » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:31 am

LeClerc wrote: My problem is fixed!!

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 0#p1739580

...described and fixed my SSL issue ...
That fixed my problem, too!

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated!

Marty

Dreamlander
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:53 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by Dreamlander » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:40 pm

M4r7in wrote:Hi all,

Just a more comprehensive follow-up on my previous message explaining that a Byte Order Mark (BOM) was the cause of the problem.

The problem
As I wrote above, I originally set up my system on a local Windows installation using XAMPP. After moving this installation to the hosted production environment (hosted using Linux) it still worked apart from not allowing me to login. The login screen -- both in the frontend and in the administration-backend -- simply reloaded/looped on every login attempt.

The cause -- a BOM (Byte Order Mark) in configuration.php
My setup is a Danish setup. This means that configuration.php contains Danish characters (e.g. in titles) and these are encoded in UTF-8.

When I moved the installation to the hosted Linux environment, I used FileZilla. After moving all files, I edited the configuration.php using FileZilla by right-clicking the file (in the server-side pane) and choosing "View/Edit". This by default brings up Notepad. The problem is that Notepad tries to be smart. It automatically detect the file as UTF-8 encoded -- and that is the good part. However, when saving the file again, Notepad inserts a BOM (Byte Order Mark) to make it easier for other editors to detect this as an UTF-8 encoded file. (A BOM in UTF-8 is a three-byte sequence which in UTF-8 is a zero-width non-breaking space. This means that the BOM is invisible in most modern editors.)

The problem is: Joomla does not like the BOM and that causes the login loop.

The solution: How to get rid of the BOM?
To remove the BOM, use an editor like Crimson. In the "Document > Encoding" menu you will discover that the file is detected as "UTF-8 with BOM". Change that to "UTF-8 w/o BOM" and save the file again. This will effectlively remove the BOM. (Alternatively, you could use a hex editor and remove the first three bytes, but that is a bit more complicated.)

How to avoid running into the problem in the first place?
Never use Notepad to edit your configuration file. (Basically, Notepad misbehaves by inserting a BOM automatically when it detects UTF-8 characters.) Choose another editor (e.g. Crimson) that does not insert a BOM character automatically if it detects UTF-8 characters. Remember, FileZilla automatically suggests using Notepad (the default Windows editor) when editing server-side files.

A question to some clever guys:
Why does a single UTF-8 char (BOM) have this influence on the login screen? The rest of the site basically works, which means the configuration parameters (like e.g. the database name, user and password) is read correctly from configuration.php. I can also see that the login attempt causes one or two records to be created in the database table jos_session.

My guess is that somehow the BOM makes its way to the produced HTML and causes HTTP-headers regarding cookies to be misinterpreted. This makes it impossible for Joomla to reconnect to the session giving you the same symptoms as if the sessions dir is not writable.

Does anyone with a good technical knowledge on Joomla's inner workings have a good explanation?
(Please no guessing -- only answer if you know why this happens.)

A FAQ entry?
Is there some sort of FAQ where this information could be posted? It seems from my experience, that many users have run into this problem and spent a lot of time trying to solve it.

/Martin

You are a star. I have been trying all the different solutions over here with no luck. This error was due to a migration to new domain name and a new db. I had to change the configuration.php to reflect the new db with the notepad editor (as i was working form another location) and that must have caused the issue of looping.

Thank you very much guys.

ghardin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by ghardin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:17 am

For me, the User Joomla plugin solution above was what worked! What caused the problem is anyone's guess, but this solved it, after 4 hours of searching and trial and error!!

jimmy9210
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by jimmy9210 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:43 pm

My joomla web site is working fine for 2 month, until yesterday with a sudden that I am not able to login at back-end. There is no new change or migration done to the site. The only thing that maybe relevant is that I shutdown my notebook with a force.

I tried most of the method(without database intervention) mentioned in this thread, without success.
I will try to use the method that required database operation, but just found that I am not able to login phpMyAdmin web page as well---phpMyAdmin web page is not available to me. I am sure I am able to login via phpMyAdmin web page when joomla is first installed.

Then I tried use client--mySqlAdministrator to connect mySQL server, I am not able to login as well with return message--MySQL Error Number 1130. Host '192.168.1.1' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server.
I check system log that MySQL server is up and running.

It is really frustrated, no idea why suddenly running everything into trouble.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

jimmy

grumpynomore
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:25 am

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by grumpynomore » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:41 pm

I have been struggling with the fiendish Admin Login Loop for more than a week now.

I have 5 Joomla sites all running the same template and much the same configuration, all with the same hosting provider. One of them suddenly gave me the Login Loop.

I have systematically worked through every one of the fixes in this thread except an upgrade or reinstall, without success.

It seems to me that the issues trumpeted as being the "cause" of this behaviour can't really be causes at all, because there are so many of them and they are so varied. They must simply be triggers - they throw an exception of a certain kind and the Login or Authentication plugins aren't handling the exception properly. Surely it's an error-handling problem at heart.

I love Joomla because it means a relative amateur like me can manage respectable websites with little expertise. However, it staggers me that this thread about a well-known problem has run for two years without generating a response from the Joomla developers!

moleski
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by moleski » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:32 pm

grumpynomore wrote:I have been struggling with the fiendish Admin Login Loop for more than a week now.
Condolences.
It seems to me that the issues trumpeted as being the "cause" of this behaviour can't really be causes at all, because there are so many of them and they are so varied.
I agree that many different diseases can present the same symptoms.

I don't see why you object to calling them "causes." Each person has found the cause of the problem on his or her own system. When I applied the core hack to fix the problem with https:// URLS, I was able to log in. On my system, that was THE cause of THE problem I was having.
They must simply be triggers - they throw an exception of a certain kind and the Login or Authentication plugins aren't handling the exception properly. Surely it's an error-handling problem at heart.
I don't think that is the case. So far as I could tell, there were no error messages thrown. As far as my setup was concerned, it had returned the right URL (http:// instead of https://). I could see that it was an error (because I could not log in), but the system couldn't see that it was an error.
... it staggers me that this thread about a well-known problem has run for two years without generating a response from the Joomla developers!
It is not "a" problem. It is one symptom with multiple causes. There is no silver bullet--if and when you find the cause of the problem on your system, please add it here. You may help someone else debug the cause of the problem on their system.

Marty

ghardin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by ghardin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Well said Marty, but it would be heartening to see that those who work on developing Joomla would take the various problems ad the associated causes and fixes and try to compile them with what they know about how Joomla works and try to isolate the issue. No matter what caused it or what the individual fix is, the ultimate glitch is that there is a log in loop that many individuals have experienced. In a number of cases such as yours and mine, I think it is related to SEF urls and something in the way they are constructed and cached. Ultimately, the 2 or 3 times that this has happened to my sites, it has been after I turned on SEF capabilities and usually on development sites running on my local machine. I am not a programmer by any stretch of word, but i do have a degree in programming that dates back to the early 70's, so I have a good understanding about how the logic is "supposed" to flow and how to analyze where the problem might exist.
As you said, it is usually up to us to figure it out in our own instances, but it has indeed been a "bug" for too many years that has been ignored by the push to get out new versions rather than clean up the code in old ones. The one skill I did learn way back when was how to write clean efficient code because the machines then had very little memory and you had to make optimum use of it. Today it does not have to be that way, it just has to work, most of the time. That is why there are so many bug fixes in the change logs. Anyway, off of my soap box and on to the next project.

jimmy9210
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by jimmy9210 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:20 pm

jimmy9210 wrote:My joomla web site is working fine for 2 month, until yesterday with a sudden that I am not able to login at back-end. There is no new change or migration done to the site. The only thing that maybe relevant is that I shutdown my notebook with a force.

I tried most of the method(without database intervention) mentioned in this thread, without success.
I will try to use the method that required database operation, but just found that I am not able to login phpMyAdmin web page as well---phpMyAdmin web page is not available to me. I am sure I am able to login via phpMyAdmin web page when joomla is first installed.

Then I tried use client--mySqlAdministrator to connect mySQL server, I am not able to login as well with return message--MySQL Error Number 1130. Host '192.168.1.1' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server.
I check system log that MySQL server is up and running.

It is really frustrated, no idea why suddenly running everything into trouble.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

jimmy
I finally login in mySQL server, and updated the password for admin in jos_users table. The update seems successful. But after that, my web site was hack by"ByLenis was HERE".
Both the website and administration login page was substituted by a page named: "ByLenis was HERE. Turkey..//..RESPECT/".

Does any body has had similar issue? I am not sure if there is something to do with mySQL database.

ghardin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by ghardin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:07 pm

Glad your were able to get back in. Would you care to document how you did that here? It might help someone else in the future.
Looks like Lenis has been very busy indeed! There must be a security hole somewhere that they are exploiting. I don't find any security announcements from Joomla on it and some of the sites are WordPress, it might be a server site hole that they have found to exploit. I guess checking security issues on your site and check that file permissions are correct is about all you can do for now.

jimmy9210
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by jimmy9210 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:09 pm

ghardin wrote:Glad your were able to get back in. Would you care to document how you did that here? It might help someone else in the future.
Looks like Lenis has been very busy indeed! There must be a security hole somewhere that they are exploiting. I don't find any security announcements from Joomla on it and some of the sites are WordPress, it might be a server site hole that they have found to exploit. I guess checking security issues on your site and check that file permissions are correct is about all you can do for now.
well, I think this is something to do with file: configuration.php.
At least this file should have been protected by any means. For me, I am trying to restore this file.
Anyone, please provide me a working configuration.php file, so I am able to edit and try to see if this help to restore my website.
Please send this file to jimmy9210@hotmail.com. Thank you in advance.

ghardin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by ghardin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:06 pm

you should have a file called configuration.php.dist that comes with every Joomla distribution. It is the basic configuration.php file. You will have to fill in the pertinent information about the server database, passwords etc and then save it as configuration.php. You can get all of those setting from your host. What I do on a regular basis is use my ftp client to copy my entire site to my local machine and use phpmyadmin to make a dump of my databases and I keep that on my machine in case something like this happens. then you can copy all of those files back to your host and import the database if necessary and you can at least restore back to the last backup level. I try to do that at lease ones a week and I use JBackup to run a nightly database backup for me and it emails it to me everyday. I use joomlaPack to backup my site to my host every week as well but on a different day than my ftp copy so I have a redundant copy of the site somewhere. it might sound like overkill but it only takes about 15-20 minutes of my time and it has saved me HOURS of rebuild time when sometime got messed up or I screwed something up myself. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

jimmy9210
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by jimmy9210 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:29 pm

ghardin wrote:you should have a file called configuration.php.dist that comes with every Joomla distribution. It is the basic configuration.php file. You will have to fill in the pertinent information about the server database, passwords etc and then save it as configuration.php. You can get all of those setting from your host. What I do on a regular basis is use my ftp client to copy my entire site to my local machine and use phpmyadmin to make a dump of my databases and I keep that on my machine in case something like this happens. then you can copy all of those files back to your host and import the database if necessary and you can at least restore back to the last backup level. I try to do that at lease ones a week and I use JBackup to run a nightly database backup for me and it emails it to me everyday. I use joomlaPack to backup my site to my host every week as well but on a different day than my ftp copy so I have a redundant copy of the site somewhere. it might sound like overkill but it only takes about 15-20 minutes of my time and it has saved me HOURS of rebuild time when sometime got messed up or I screwed something up myself. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Excellent approach! A ounce definitely saved tons of rework!
Just a question about password for admin, it is said to be MD5. But when I mannully insert a record with username/password into mySQL, actually what is inserted is an string that is NOT MD5-ed. Looks like all my Joomla user password were tampered by hacker. Below is a tampered password in mysql for example: 4b3aa7d831f2fd83b78fb63606985c2e:gmQ9PPjVsScqAQF4tiWr1rMKhcGw6fU9.

And below is what mysql generates in backend when a new password is inserted:
*FCAAF3F0BD94C027B2769A95903C355CE6294660.

One step forward now, my backend login page come back to me, but still have login loop issue.
My website is still down, simply return "ERROR" to the visitors! I believe this is due to mysql connection.

Still,

ghardin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by ghardin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:00 pm

one thing that has caused problems with the login loop for me in the past was the Joomla SEF. Somewhere it gets the urls all kludged up and nothing works. Once I could get to my configuration file and set those values back to no, then I could get out of the loop, but there are other causes and remedies as well and that might not work for you.

jimmy9210
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by jimmy9210 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:33 am

ghardin wrote:one thing that has caused problems with the login loop for me in the past was the Joomla SEF. Somewhere it gets the urls all kludged up and nothing works. Once I could get to my configuration file and set those values back to no, then I could get out of the loop, but there are other causes and remedies as well and that might not work for you.
Thank you ghardin!

I finally managed to login the admin page. What I do is reset the password for admin in jos_users table. There are actually 2 kind of algrithom used to store the password in mysql. Joomla use MD5, and mysql use a different algrithom. That is why it confused me yesterday. Now one more step forwarded.

However, my web site is still down, with "ERROR" return to visitors.
Anyone has an idea how to process to investigate?

ghardin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by ghardin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:50 am

Try this:
in admin, turn off ALL modules and front page articles (make note of which ones should be on - ID# is enough) and then try the site. If you still get an error it could still be a url problem, try clearting the browser cach AND the cahe under tools in the admin. or a wacked file at your joomla root, maybe index.php. If you get the page up with all modules off, try turning them on one by one until you hit the error. Kind of tedious trial and error. Do you use Firefox? there are some really good web tools for it that make some of this really easy to work out. Also check your servers error logs for any signs of problems.

good luck

jimmy9210
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by jimmy9210 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:06 am

ghardin wrote:Try this:
in admin, turn off ALL modules and front page articles (make note of which ones should be on - ID# is enough) and then try the site. If you still get an error it could still be a url problem, try clearting the browser cach AND the cahe under tools in the admin. or a wacked file at your joomla root, maybe index.php. If you get the page up with all modules off, try turning them on one by one until you hit the error. Kind of tedious trial and error. Do you use Firefox? there are some really good web tools for it that make some of this really easy to work out. Also check your servers error logs for any signs of problems.

good luck
Really cool. Very pertinent suggestion! Thank you ghardin! It is finally working, my website return!
What I do is ---change to a new template! and remove any module and plugin that does not work. Then install these module and plugin again.

Now am happy that 95% work is back now.
Next step would be to move configuration.php out of the dir and change its access permission.
Issue here is web site is working fine for the visitor, but backend admin page could not be loaded if real configuration.php moved out of joomla folder.
Next next step is:
--setup another mirror website for production in case of hack or disaster.
--Backup site and mysql on a regular base.
--install security patch and module/plugin
--if necessary, purchase anti-hacker/intrusion detection deamon.
did I miss anything else?

odbhaskaran
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Admin Loop, cannot login.

Post by odbhaskaran » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi Friends,

I too have the problem. My frontpage opens up but I am not able to login to the administrative panel feeding administrator at the end of the url. I get the message from browser that the webpage is not available.

I have tried some and other solutions given above but to of no avail.

Can I be helped.

Thanks.


Locked

Return to “Administration 1.5”