cannot log in into /administrator back-end

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: cannot log in into /administrator back-end

Post by aemiller » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:33 am

Let me add one more possible solution - I would my way through all the above suggestions. Nothing was working. Then I noticed that my client had reset the $lifetime to '1500000'. Reducing this to '60' again allowed me to get into the site.

opsontap
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by opsontap » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:37 pm

An amendment to my post below.
After much trial and tribulation i am happy to report that i fixed the problem in jos_extensions and found the relevant jos_plugins in that area of the php.

Also discovered a lovely fix for resetting the password which is a must for anyone with Joomla 1.6
Make a note of this URL
http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recov ... assword%3F
Also note that all the other fixes in posts previous to this seem to refer to 1.5
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****__

This is absolutely %$#$& ridiculous. Like many others i too have fallen foul of disabling the user plugin in Joomla 1.6 (by mistakee) and am unable to login to the administrator backend. Having taught myself how to use Joomla 1.5 & 1.6 through trial and error i now find it more error than trial.

I've tried everything everyone has mentioned in the forum but am suspecting the closest answer is somewhere in the jos_extensions as jos_plugins do not exist in 1.6 or 1.7

Appreciate any further tips or help that anyone can give.
aemiller wrote: reset the $lifetime to '1500000'. Reducing this to '60' again allowed me to get into the site.
What exactly do you mean by this?
Last edited by opsontap on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:05 pm

$lifetime is one of the variables on the configuration.php file. It is the variable that controls the length of a session in minutes.

wendyp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wendyp » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:51 pm

I also have the problem of screen refreshing when trying to login to admin backend. On the server console to check the database - I have gone to the phpMyAdmin to check the jos_plugins - thinking I'll turn "0" to "1"... only to find that in the browse tab, there is no User - Joomla! id in the list. Comparing this list to other joomla sites/databases, I can see that it's missing - the id must have originally been #5 as it goes through from 1 - 44 items, it just skips straight from 4 (Authentication - OpenID) to 6 (Search - Content).

As I was having a tidy up early today, I'm thinking it may have got deleted when I was removing unused templates that come with the core installation. So I re-uploaded the folders/files for those (beez, ja_purity, rhuk_milkyway as well as system even though that was still there on the server). However this didn't return the missing plugin to the list in the database.

How can I re-install that missing plugin - if that's indeed the problem ? Why else would it not be in the browse list - Should I just ftp the entire core files (it's j 1.5.23)

om1985
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by om1985 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:30 pm

I think i got hacked. At first I thought it was because I disabled the joomla login through the login_module yesterday. Than I couldn't access the site today, thought it was because I disabled the login. But than I went into myphp admin and checked jos_users and noticed my username had been changed to hacker. How could someone do this??? I am the only person working on the site so no other person has access to my login details. Any ideas? I have regained access but I need to prevent this from happening again and want to no how it happened. HELP!

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:53 am

“You think you're site got hacked? Read this first, please!!!” - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=54006
Security Checklist 7 - http://docs.joomla.org/Security_Checklist_7
Help! Your site's been compromised. Now what? - http://docs.joomla.org/Help!_Your_site% ... ow_what%3F

nssnepal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nssnepal » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:42 am

My joomla website, It was all going well but today suddenly i could not login to administrator. My username and password where 100% right but even after entering the exact username and password i could get login inside..neither it gives any error message.

I must admit that this url is my key source that help me to explore more deeper inside phpmy admin

http://www.pwrusr.com/web-master/cannot ... d-as-admin

But even following above url steps i could not login and what i did is i followed following steps :

1. First Change the password for FTP AND PHPMYADMIN LOGIN. Open Phpmy admin remotely and locally
2. You need to be sure if your username and password works from the localhost or not if you can then problem is solved
3. Compare every parameter of jos_user under your remote host from phpmyadmin remotely and compare with the jos_user from the localhost phpmyadmin
4. You will 100% find a difference
5. Whatever parameter is written inside jos_user from the localhost Simply type exactly to the jos_user from the remote host phpmyadmin
6. Save it
7. You can change the password if you like but do not forget to select md5 for your own safety at password field
7. Try login to administrator again it will 100 '% work.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SEE THE ATTACHED FILE. I HAVE ATTACHED THE SCREEN SHOT TO MAKE UNDERSTAND FOR MORE CLEAR.

CHEERS

NSS NEPAL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tdbask
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tdbask » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:38 am

Have been at ths for 2 days. This is very disturbing as we have 4 other websites running joomla with no issues.
This site was installed and went live in Nov. The last update was 11/22/11.
Having tried all of the "solutions" I've think I've exhausted my options.
Any other suggestisonare greatly appreciated.

[quote="JTS-post Problem Description"]No administrator back end access blank screen or return to login[/quote][quote="JTS-post Actions Taken To Resolve"]checked application.php, configuratin.php, repair database, replace administrator folder files,[/quote]
JTS-post Diagnostic Information wrote:Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.22 Stable [ senu takaa ama woi ] 04-November-2010 18:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 644 ) | Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.32-46.1.BHsmp ( x86_64) | Web Server: Apache | PHP Version: 5.2.17
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5 or above): Yes | iconv Support (1.5 or above): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.1.60-community-log ( Localhost via UNIX socket )
JTS-post Extended Information wrote:SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | Legacy Mode: Disabled | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Not Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are the same. (PHP/suExec probably installed)
PHP Environment: API: cgi-fcgi | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 64M | Max. Upload Size: 10M | Max. Post Size: 10M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 5.1.59 ( latin1 )

Jay44
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Jay44 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:22 pm

OMG

After struggling with all these possible problems and not finding any issues with .htaccess or configuration.php

I shut down the FIrefox session and ran Safari I can log in

ever onwards...

j
"Things not being necessary is what makes life interesting" -- Stephen Fry
This is necessary - http://docs.joomla.org/

tdbask
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tdbask » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:02 am

Maybe looking at the error logs from my server may help someone assist me in diagnosing and correcting the issue.

[Thu Dec 08 20:49:43 2011] [error] [client IP] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.
[Thu Dec 08 20:49:43 2011] [error] [client IP] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.
[Thu Dec 08 20:49:55 2011] [warn] Cannot get media type from 'x-mapp-php5'
[Thu Dec 08 20:49:55 2011] [error] [client IP] Premature end of script headers: user_info.php
[Thu Dec 08 20:49:56 2011] [error] [client IP] Failed loading /usr/lib64/php/modules/ixedts.lin: /usr/lib64/php/modules/ixedts.lin: undefined symbol: executor_globals_id
[Thu Dec 08 20:50:12 2011] [error] [client IP] Failed loading /server3/waxwell/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin.so: /server3/waxwell/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Thu Dec 08 20:50:12 2011] [error] [client IP] Failed loading /server3/waxwell/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin_ts.so: /server3/waxwell/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin_ts.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Thu Dec 08 20:50:14 2011] [error] [client ip-2] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.
[Thu Dec 08 20:50:14 2011] [error] [client ip-2] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.
[Thu Dec 08 20:50:19 2011] [error] [client ip-3] Failed loading /usr/lib64/php/modules/ixedts.lin: /usr/lib64/php/modules/ixedts.lin: undefined symbol: executor_globals_id, referer: http://anna.rr4.ca/gallery/captionator. ... perPage=20

ALSO PHP FATAL Error:
[07-Dec-2011 19:02:25] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method stdClass::onAuthenticate() in /server4/domain/public_html/domcon/libraries/joomla/user/authentication.php on line 121

chaz2000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chaz2000 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:55 am

I appreciate what the rest of you are saying. I'm just an idiot! I thought that I wrote down the user/password in a section of my notebook that pertains to my website, but it turns out that I can't find them. I'm using Joomla 1.7.3.
Would it be easier to uninstall joomla and start over since I can't find my user/pw info?

(Yep. I'm too stupid to own a computer.)

chaz2000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chaz2000 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 am

chaz2000 wrote:I appreciate what the rest of you are saying. I'm just an idiot! I thought that I wrote down the user/password in a section of my notebook that pertains to my website, but it turns out that I can't find them. I'm using Joomla 1.7.3.
Would it be easier to uninstall joomla and start over since I can't find my user/pw info?

(Yep. I'm too stupid to own a computer.)
Nevermind. I'm uninstalling Joomla and will reinstall it and write down the user/pw this time where I can find it.

tschumler
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tschumler » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:50 pm

This article might be of help to you. http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recov ... assword%3F

TerriToniAX
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TerriToniAX » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 am

After having struggled through this thread and a couple other sites to no avail, I stumbled across a solution that is so great I just felt obliged to share this tip, and even registered to this forum to do so.

Like many others I couldn't log in as administrator and the login page just refreshed. What I wanted to do was to copy a client's entire web solution from their domain to a folder of my domain to have a dev environment.

At first I did it the old-fashioned way (http://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website), downloading/uploading all the files and copying the DB manually. The frontend worked right from the start, but the backend did not, no matter what I did. I tried everything in this thread - except actually *installing* the solution of the fear to forget about some components as the solution is very complex with many modules depending on each other.

The solution is to use Akeeba Backup: http://www.joomlatutorials.com/joomla-t ... bsite.html.
Akeeba makes the whole procedure really swift and it works like a charm!

Hopefully this comes in handy to someone :)

P.S.
If your source solution does have Akeeba installed, the necessary .jap archives are stored under administrator/components/com_akeeba/backup. Do no waste time looking for kickstart.php in your source location, because it's not there. You need to download it from: https://www.akeebabackup.com/download/o ... 3-4-0.html. Only kickstart.php and the latest .jap-archive are needed in the destination location. Kickstart extracts the .jap-archive and launches an installer that is included in the archive. The procedure is very simple and the steps are described in detail in the eminent Kickstart user guide.

hankin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hankin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 pm

This happened to me. I do not know if it is the same problem but I changed the .htaccess file and because of an error it redirected my site including administrator log in page to iana. If this is your problem restore the .htaccess file with the original. That should restore things. Then when you re-edit make sure any "example.com" expressions are replaced with your domain name.

yehudz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by yehudz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:52 pm

I have tried replacing htaccess, i've tried restoring an old Akeeba backup with kickstart.php, i've tried disabling modules in phpmyadmin, but i cant login to the backend, when i enter the correct Username and password the page goes blank and nothing happens. Please help, thank you very much.

tammytammy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tammytammy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:56 pm

:) My problem solved by contacting the hosting to restore the site back to the date that still can log in. Found from one post that problem came from FTP access that corrupted file. My customer did buck-up via browser and after that cannot log in.

I use 1.5.25 installed via Softaculous / Shared Host
If you guys case not same to me, there are some cases that I tried before.
- Try to log in from different browser
- folder plugin/user/... it should appear 5 files; example.php, example.xml, index.html, joomla.php, joomla.xml (if it not appear like this, just upload the file there)
- phpMyAdmin > check _plugin > User log in > set published from '0' to '1'
- phpMyAdmin > try change password > _user > see id '62' which is super admin > set function to 'MD5'

Luckily my case was same as someone in image I posted.
If you already try a million way and nobody can't help, maybe this is the last chance to try.

Good luck !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's all about your wish to give it a go or let it go :)
Cheers !

hankin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hankin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:28 am

Hey guys,
If it is a .htaccess file error, as it was with me, the code on this page provided by gs1md and webdongle is great and solved my issues: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 4#p2761454

RonZZ
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RonZZ » Thu May 03, 2012 5:10 pm

If you are using Jupgrade from 1.5.x to 2.5.x and you make changes only to wake up the next morning where the administrator login page just reloads you MAY have dis-enabled "Joomla User." Providing you are still updating your jupgrade site, using phpAdmin go to table "j25_extensions" and look for "plg_user_joomla" this should be enabled, column should have a 1 not 0. Make that change. Reload your admin login page and login. Best of Luck if this isn't your problem. Cheers!

donnakat1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by donnakat1 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:17 am

I have the same problem. Today suddenly I cannot login to administrator page. It keeps telling me my user name and password dont match even though they are the same as always. I tried new password, new super administrator, fresh reinstall with replaces database. The problem is definitely in the database but I dont know how to troubleshoot it. I can log into the reinstall until I replace the database, then, nothing. Front end looks fine, just cant get into back. PLEASE HELP! DESPARATE! :'(

Abcplumb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Abcplumb » Tue May 08, 2012 1:37 pm

This has to be the most common fault on joomla :eek:

I have the same problem today, I'm using Joomla 1.5.26 with Firefox
I have not made any changes to my phpadmine. The fault was intermittent, some times I can log in and sometimes I cant for long hours.
The login screen would just refresh, without any error messages.
My user name and password are on auto restore, so cant be that.

The solution for me
I changed the session handler variable in configuration.php:
Code:
var $session_handler = 'database';

changed from 'none' to 'database'

As soon as this change was made, I was able to login in straight away. :pop
Its really strange as the previous config file worked fine.
Maybe my host my have changed something.

I hope this helps others as I know how frustration this can be. :'(
Good Luck peps, Don't give up, they're only machines. lol :D
By trade a gas engineer but by passion a graphic designer.

EddyH
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EddyH » Thu May 10, 2012 10:33 am

I have a similar problem: Message = You do not have access to the administrator area of this website (or something similar, the message is in Dutch)

The password is correct (tried other password, but then it tells me that the combination of user & password is not correct)

I can log in into the front-end, and I see the menu that is only visible for the Super Users, as well as the edit icon for the articles.
In the database (through PhpAdmin) everything looks fine for xxx_users.

This problem occurred this morning: yesterday night I still massaged to log in into the backend.

Appreciate your help.

MADMARY1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MADMARY1 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 pm

I am having this same problem....can't seem to log in to Admin panel. I can log on as user but not to the admin panel. I have tried all of the suggestions on this thread and none have worked!

Please help me!!! :( :'( :'(
"The Greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires,
but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively."

-- Bob Marley

EddyH
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EddyH » Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 am

I tried again after a couple of hours and it was working again.
Problem disappeared, although I must say I feel somewhat uncomfortable with this happening.

prashantb423
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by prashantb423 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:39 am

I can't log into the Joomla backend as administrator.

I could try entering any username/password and l see the web page will
only refresh itself without even giving out any error message.

I am using joomla 1.5 version.

seanctc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by seanctc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi I just found this thread tried alot of things posted on this w/o and luck maybe someone might be able to diagnose this problem, if I could fix this would I be happy!!

Hi i havent tried to log into my site for some time, now when i try I am greeted with this message.

Warning: require_once(D:\hshome\xxxxx\xxxxxx\administrator\includes\defines.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\hshome\xxxx\xxxxxx\administrator\index.php on line 21

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'D:\hshome\xxxxxx\xxxxx\administrator\includes\defines.php' (include_path='.\;C:\Program Files\HSphere\3rdparty\PHP\PHP5\PEAR') in D:\hshome\xxxxx\xxxxxxxx\administrator\index.php on line 21

site address has been replaced by xxxx for security.

I tried ro replace deine.php file because it does not exist in administrator/includes , it was a long shot but doesnt work, does anyone have anyidea what might have caused this and may know a fix much appreciated.

sportal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sportal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 pm

This issue just happened to my site again with no error - I finally found the problem and the fix.

This could be related only to Godaddy hosted sites or others, but what I found was that my configuration.php was marked as Read Only with no write permissions - so obviously if I had tried to log into the backend I would not have been able to log in as I would have needed to modify the configuration.php file.

I would add this to the list of answers added to this thread.

Check the permissions on your php files.

fabianmertens
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fabianmertens » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:14 am

I had this problem this morning...
Sometime the problem could be more simple that all solution that I saw above.
I was using Google Chrome by default, I tried to login with Fireworks and it was working... So I understood that I had a problem with data stored in the browser (Google Chrome), I cleaned all history and temporary files and after I was able to connect to the backend.
If you have the problem start with this solution, it is the less painful. (BROWSER issue)

BizWitJeff
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by BizWitJeff » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:15 pm

For what it's worth...

I have a client that is running 1.5.26 and this issue popped up out of nowhere. Tried every suggestion in this thread to no avail.

After lots of trial and error, I have it down to one file. If I extract the [root]\libraries\joomla\session\session.php file from the Joomla installation zip and then upload that to the server - replacing the one that was there - it allows me to log in.

Unfortunately, it still requires me to do this every couple of days, but at least it's a fix that has allowed me to log in 100% of the time.

lgt363
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lgt363 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:22 am

sounds stupid but make sure your editing the correct 'user' table the site is installed on... there a bunch of 'user' tables... i was editing the wrong one all this time eventually realized and it worked fine...

Sometimes looking everywhere else, when in reality a simple solution helps...look closer

Return to “Administration 1.5”