how to reset super administrator password in Joomla 1.5 + ?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
johndevries
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: how to reset super administrator password in Joomla 1.5

Post by johndevries » Wed May 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Okay, I solved this. I was working on two versions of the site simultaneously, on different hosting providers. I got them mixed up and was changing the DB on the wrong site. All working now.

Alas, I have tried all of the methods described in this post and nothing has worked. I have tried changing the password field for user 62, both with hashes copied from posts and using the MySQL MD5 function-No joy. I tried running an update query to set the password to admin-no affect. I tried the code hack posted above to turn off the testing of the password-still no affect.

I am running 1.5.17. Is anyone aware of any changes in the code that might affect this? Is it possible that the original password is being cached in some other table? Thanks.

bizplan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bizplan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:11 pm

CliffH wrote:Hey guys here is the solution. don't put the put the encrypted password in the md5 field. Just put the word admin in the md5 field, and save. Now you can log in with admin as the password.

Jesus loves you
this work for me...

boggis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by boggis » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 pm

I have tried everything listed here and still can't login. It seems there are two different problems being described in this thread:

1. Forgotten pw
2. Incorrect pw brings up an incorrect pw message, correct pw just refreshes login screen

My problem is the 2nd one. Somebody please help...

boggis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by boggis » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Just a little more poking around and problem solved. For future troubleshooter experiencing the login refresh, this worked for me:

It could be that you have disabled your Joomla User! plugin

Try opening your database and the jos_plugins table

Then set the USER value for PUBLISHED to be 1 (not 0)

sese4
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sese4 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:38 pm

First of all take at these steps.

Before you reset your password.

Step1: Go to PHPMYadmin. and login
step2: Go to your DB name and click
Step3: Go to Jos_plugins
Step4: see if joomla authentication is enabled. other wise enable this set this to 1

Step5: see if joomla user is enabled. otherwise set this to 1.

Now you can use your old name and password to login.

IF NOT.

RESET YOUR PASSWORD like others .

GOOD LUCK.
THis worked for me. after tried everything.

sam_ana
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sam_ana » Thu May 12, 2011 4:05 am

Ramtuli wrote:1232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3
Change this number to "21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3" - it works!

:pop
it works! :D :D :D :D
thank you
you saved my life

atz6975
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by atz6975 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi,
I can manage to log in into the site running 1.5.25. I had to hard code a user and password in the php code in order to log in. Once logged-in I changed my password but to no avail...!
I tried reseting the password through SQL aswell as per the FAQ for 1.5.xx (md5+salt, admin2...) but no luck.

Thanks for any clue.

Soccer4don
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Soccer4don » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:55 pm

I am migrating 70 + sites over to another hosting company and I am going from a no cpanel to a cpanel hosted plan. I was able to go into the db and see what the super admin was and from there I was able to figure out what happened.
Thank you for your support!!!!!!
Don

Spell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Spell » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:08 pm

As a note, if anyone has RSFirewall running on their site with its "Lockdown" mode activated, RSFirewall will undo any changes you make to the Super Admin password from phpMyAdmin. So you can put in new passwords all day and none of them will work.

Additionally, if earlier you "changed" the password from within the Joomla backend while the RSFirewall Lockdown mode was active, it will simply revert your changes. So you can end up puzzled because it seems nothing works. It happened to me. The solution is to revert to the OLD password that you had before you changed it while the Lockdown Mode was active. In other words, the Lockdown mode doesn't stop you from changing your password, it just quietly reverts it after you leave. So you actually did not change it.

If you don't have your OLD password any longer, you will have to find out how to deactivate RSFirewall's Lockdown mode first. Then change your password in phpMyAdmin as instructed.

Spell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Spell » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 pm

I realized what I did — I had migrated a website to a new host (using Akeeba Backup) while RSFirewall Lockdown mode was active. When I unpacked and installed the website in the new location, I "changed" the Joomla Admin password... but RSFirewall reverted the change. Then the next day my new password didn't work. But the old one did. I'm posting this in case anyone else is as dumb as me, lol.

Return to “Administration 1.5”