Roles authority: Author and Editor

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.
bkwdesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Roles authority: Author and Editor

Post by bkwdesign » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:03 am

therealvibe wrote:hmm ok.. well let me put it this way. It is possible with joomla. To make a user for a client.. and let clients login with this user and make changes without publishing it. Them I login with the administrator. approve their changes.. and them publish it myself? if this is possible with the native joomla let me know how to do it.
Maybe I am doing something wrong creating users under the editor group.

Regards,

Dwayne
hi therealvibe,

A few years ago, I customized a Mambo system (Joomla's predecessor) to allow for organization of users into client groupings, and further allowed the targeting of content "articles" toward a group. Thus, certain content items, once targeted to a group, could ONLY be seen by members of that group (didn't matter what their "role" was). I could then go back into the system, un-target content from that group, and re-target it toward another group (although that wasn't my purpose for the system I built, it would've worked much like you described).

So, out of the box, I don't think what you're asking for is possible. However, if you've got a developer skill-set and some R&D time/resources - I highly recommend the Joomla system as an excellent starting point.

gigarrido
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gigarrido » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:52 pm

This is great! I just registered here, only for this. We need more Rysius!!! Nice job.

RysiuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RysiuM » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:04 pm

gigarrido wrote:We need more Rysius!!!
It's hard. Joomla team is doing great job on this package. My site is up and happy. After I fixed two little glitches in SlideShow Pro I don't need to do anything for it.

However I'm trying to hack Multilang M17n (kind of fun with learning php) which has a problem with language switch on the home page (I have already upgraded that mod to 1.5.9). That's for my other future site. I course I will post my findings in the relevant forum.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:15 am

@RysiuM,

Thanks for:
- the clear analysis and explanation
- a working hack to fix these issues

Very nice.

██ LibreTraining

Acestu
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Acestu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:57 am

I wish i was as bright as RysiuM because i would like to rectify this problem, so just for a newcomer could somebody please tell me how to sort this out with the complete set of files that RysiuM posted, ie do we replace each modified file 1 at a time or can you replace them all at once somehow?

Thanks In Advance
Acestu

RysiuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RysiuM » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:02 pm

Acestu wrote:how to sort this out with the complete set of files that RysiuM posted, ie do we replace each modified file 1 at a time or can you replace them all at once somehow?
You have two options:

1. If you want to install all four "mods/fixes" and your installation is on joomla 1.5.9. and you have original (not modified) installation and your installation does not contain additional modules (add-ons) which are handling the way articles are dispalyed/selected then:
- copy all files I provided in zip replacing original files in relevant folders.

2. If at least one of conditions above is not true, you have to apply my fixes/mods individually. What it means you need to compare your sources with sources in the zip and find if my fix interferes with your modifications (if any). Also you need to do research if your other modifications need to be fixed/changed so they are consistent with my changes. It requires knowledge or research of your existing installation and additional modifications or modules your installation may have.

All changes have comments indicating what I have modified in the source code (indication of deleted lines of original code and indication of new lines of code). Just remember to apply all changes related to each mod (there are four modifications each one has its own "tag" i.e. RMA001 ... RMA004) to each relevant objects. Read file "Objects modified.txt" included in this zip. This file (it's kind of "readme") has detailed description of fixed problem and list of objects that have been fixed for each problem.

I hope this "technical" information is not to much "technical" and explains the process. I'm sorry if it is murky but I'm in software business for over 25 years and some terminology and processes of implementing software is so obvious to me, and I don't realize that it may not be some obvious for other people. What I mean, if you drive a car for 25 years, it is obvious for you that you need to press a clutch before shifting gears, and telling someone how to shift from first to second you may forgot to mention the clutch. ;)

Acestu
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Acestu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks for the Info RysiuM , i grasp what you are saying, its still an experimental thing, do you think that the joomla programmers will add this fix in the next buid because it should be....

Thanks Again
Acestu

P.S. Just wondering what language you programme in, and what do you build if thats not too nosey.

RysiuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RysiuM » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:21 pm

Acestu wrote:do you think that the joomla programmers will add this fix in the next buid because it should be....
It is up to joomla team - they may find more global solution or probably general handling improvements.
Acestu wrote:P.S. Just wondering what language you programme in, and what do you build if thats not too nosey.
Question should be, what languages I did not program in :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The truth is, that programming language as just a syntax and concept is not important. I was programming CNC machines in o.o. event-driven internal language in 80-ish way before JAVA was invented ;D ;D ;D More important is the ability to analyze and design systems - and this is what I'm mainly doing. Programming (coding) is just a bonus - for fun.

Sorry everybody, for getting OT.
Last edited by RysiuM on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acestu
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Acestu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Very clever stuff RysiuM, o.o. sounds interesting, sounds like quite a specialized area, looks like your picking up PHP aswell, i am a pc engineer but like to tinker with software and programming, just got the bug for it really, anyway keep up the good work......

Cheers
Acestu

RickRaven
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RickRaven » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:19 am

RysiuM thanks for your good and hard work. This is exactly what i am looking for. But I dont want to hack my joomla core.

I am shouting to the developers : Apply this fix to the current version and save tons of people with messing up the code. Apply other suggestions of RysiuM about statuses. I really need that fix, and I am sure rest of the community will be glad too. Improve joomla asap.

Developers, developers, developers!

And RysiuM please do your best to make contact with the development team. All your suggestions are a must for joomla core. Dont give up and keep up your good work.

doc_flake
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by doc_flake » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:35 pm

RysiuM, may I ask if you put your great work onto the J! 1.5 Bug Tracker or (probably more appropriate) onto the J! 1.6 Feature Patch Tracker? I think this would be the best way to notify the development team.

yenny
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by yenny » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:10 am

Hi RysiuM, :-[

I am new in joomla and I have had so many problems understaing what the author, editor and publisher really do.. I do need a workflow.. I read your article since your first post..there you created a table with permissions and profiles.. can you or somebody create it again ... after applying all your fixes.. I need to know if this would help me or not.. :'(

Also can you attach the last update of your patch..
thanks for taking interest in this subject, Im sure so many people would use it.

danschueler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by danschueler » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:21 am

getting Unable to deliver file. is there an updated link?

Thanks

RysiuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RysiuM » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:54 am

I wonder why? do all attachment expire in here? If so, I wonder, where I can put it for people for free download. If there is expiration policy on that forum then I don't want to clutter it by submitting the same attachment over and over. I'm not sure what options I have. Can Admin give me some hint?

danschueler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by danschueler » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:22 am

any chance you could post it somewhere else for download? sounds like a valuable experiment to see how it fixes the issue.

thanks in advance

RysiuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RysiuM » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:16 am

Here it is on my "web storage" - feel free to get it.

http://rysium.home.comcast.net/~rysium/ ... -01-30.zip

danschueler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by danschueler » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks very much for your work and the new link to the zip file, RysiuM. I'm curious about why you included all the extra directories in the zip file. Do you have something in place that makes it easier to install that way, or ?

RysiuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RysiuM » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:41 pm

danschueler wrote:I'm curious about why you included all the extra directories in the zip file. Do you have something in place that makes it easier to install that way, or ?
I think I tried to identify which base object need to be changed - which file is which. I see in the ZIP there is no ".\components\" part (as it is described in the "Objects modified.txt"). But you should know which one is which. I don't have any tools - it is just to make sure the one is right.

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:48 pm

I want to try this install.. I have nearly 20 authors and 5 editors.

But I'm afraid I don't fully understand the process to make the attempt.

Is it too much to ask for an "install guide" ?

RysiuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RysiuM » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:33 pm

pmcnamara wrote:Is it too much to ask for an "install guide" ?
This is not a "fix pack" or anything like that which you can "install". It is a "hack" to the original 1.5.9 Joomla code. What it means if you are on 1.5.9 and you have original 1.5.9 code (not modified by extensions or mods) you can simple replace the original files with the ones in the zip (only .php files, not .txt of course :laugh: ). And it is it. However if you don't have Joomla 1.5.9 or you have some extensions or mods that modified the base logic or any of files from the zip, you are on your own.

If you don't know that, you can simple do text compare between hacked .php files (from the zip) and original corresponding files from your Joomla installation. If the only difference is in the code marked (commented) as my fix/hack, that you can easy apply my fix/hack (by replacing original files with the "hacked" ones). If there are some other differences in the source code than again you are on your own or patch may not even work (actually may screw up something else).

I think this is fair answer.

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:32 am

RysiuM.. I have been using this install since 1.5.8.. I have a fairly high number of extensions installed... hence why i don't want to attempt this hack, I'd be a in a bad way if I messed it up (I suppose I could just do a back up first.. but that almost sounds too easy !! LOL )

On a side note.. I found a positively wonderful component/plug-in earlier this week for documenting revisions and creating a way to do roll backs of revisions. Since this thread is about authors, editors and publishers I thought this group might appreciate this little known extension.

I've only been using it for 2 days and already have found it a MUST HAVE.

http://www.fatica.net/downloads/simple- ... oning.html

trycage
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trycage » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 am

RysiuM, Thank you very much. Your solution is very smart.
I adopted the changed the "edit" permissions to increase the granularity of my security.

However I'm trying to figure out the implementation of an alternative way:
Let say an Author try to edit his published contents. I would like to generate a article an unpublished duplicate (maybe with a specifically tagged title). In this way the old version will remain untouched and the Author will have the opportunity to propose an updated version for the publication. In case of publication the Publisher simply would archive the old version and publishing the new. Where as I have some programming skill I'm not familiar with php.

Shortly when "less than a Publisher" tries to edit a published contents
the required steps are:

Create an article clone as unpublished with a modified title (adding for example a tag like "myarticle-<rev>") and open it in the editing page.

Maybe someone could suggest me which are the file to edit.

By the way for the visualization I actually found more convenient for my purposes to use the component "camelcitycontent2" actually enabling an author to see its unpublished content and the editor to see any unpublished content. I found it convenient because sometimes the Author forget to categorize the article.
In this case he is no longer able to find the article in any section of my website.
Moreover in this way the editor do not have to search in the sections for unpublished contents just to components browse all the unpublished article of the site.

Trycage

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:01 pm

RysiuM wrote:What I mean, if you drive a car for 25 years, it is obvious for you that you need to press a clutch before shifting gears, and telling someone how to shift from first to second you may forgot to mention the clutch. ;)
Where I get messed up isn't the "push in the clutch" and "shift from 1st to 2nd"..

It is the, "lift your foot off completely off the accelerator, depress shift pedal to the floor, manipulate shifter from 1st gear position to 2nd gear position, slowly lift shift pedal off floor while gradually depressing accelerator"

Tenshi-sama
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Tenshi-sama » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:29 am

What should I change so that editors can only edit your own articles?

webmail
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by webmail » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Please have as I get the author to publish joomla.
send the file to

Please if someone has the file above, please send to

webmail@linsoftnet.com.br

Help!! :pop

richm
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by richm » Fri May 29, 2009 2:18 am

Are there any changes to this for J1.5.10?

bertmc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bertmc » Fri May 29, 2009 9:14 am

Tenshi-sama wrote:What should I change so that editors can only edit your own articles?
edit the file /libraries/joomla/user/authorization.php (Joomla core) on line 193, change the last paramater of that line from "all" to "own"

filmacu
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by filmacu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:31 pm

THANK YOU

I was looking for extensions and have installed so much rubbish on my testing server, all I wanted to do was to block an author from re-editing an approved article, you would imagine that any ACL would let you do this, but how wrong I was.

This was a big problem for us and as the site is a charity one I didn't have any money to waste on 'commercial extensions' that I didn't know would even work. I had also given up when I found your post with those few lines of code, but my word they are beautiful! Immediatly tested and jumped for joy, backedup and deployed to production server and am really pleased.

Thanks so much,

Phil,
Ireland.

P.S. I tried to down load the zip file of all your code (for completeness) but couldn't - any chance you could e-mail it to me? philwatson@iol.ie
Don't worry if you can't your couple of lines of code did the trick

THANKS

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:23 am

richm wrote:Are there any changes to this for J1.5.10?
for j.1.5.12 ?

lga1983
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lga1983 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:40 am

bertmc wrote:
Tenshi-sama wrote:What should I change so that editors can only edit your own articles?
edit the file /libraries/joomla/user/authorization.php (Joomla core) on line 193, change the last paramater of that line from "all" to "own"
Thank you very much, this problem was driving me crazy!! :-)

Return to “Administration 1.5”