Roles authority: Author and Editor

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderators: General Support Moderators, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
chrisurban
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Roles authority: Author and Editor

Post by chrisurban » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:44 pm

First, warmest thanks to RysiuM for documenting everything so well. Fantastic work!

Here's my issue - I don't think the permissions scenario for editors is exactly right - at least for one installation I'm working on. Editors should be able to edit existing published content, HOWEVER that content reverts to unpublished when doing so. This allows the editor role to be more in line with what was intended, and that is to mediate content items authors wish to revise that are already published.

I've managed to figure out where this lives (in 1.0.x) and hope to post once I get everything working as intended. I should also note that for users of the mycontent component, these changes need to be replicated there to reflect the more correct ACL for editing items.

sunnyalan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sunnyalan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:01 pm

This looks like the exact hack I need for our school site. The only problem is this site won't let me download it? Any ideas for a newbie!
I'll let you know if the hack works, once i get it.
Sunnyalan :eek:

pedmajungne
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pedmajungne » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:59 am

sunnyalan wrote:This looks like the exact hack I need for our school site. The only problem is this site won't let me download it? Any ideas for a newbie!
I'll let you know if the hack works, once i get it.
Sunnyalan :eek:
Do you mean the attachment ZIP file in this forum ?
If that do you mean, AFTER LOGIN, go to that page again & REFRESH / RELOAD your browser.
It will work.

- pedma -

pedmajungne
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pedmajungne » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:08 am

pmcnamara wrote:
richm wrote:Are there any changes to this for J1.5.10?
for j.1.5.12 ?

RysiuM :
Many thanks for your 'hack' and information to do that. Very nice.

Hi All,
I'm trying to use Joomla 1.6 Alpha2 : http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=454211
It's nice and has good ACL. The problem is the same, we can NOT HIDE some features like 'Category Manager' !!

May be we can use this thread to do that. But I stil don't know which file must be edited. Any tips ?

Thanks
- pedma -

pedmajungne
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pedmajungne » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:46 am

Hi All,

is it possible to HIDE the category/section manager ? I want that some user can only access the Article Manager in backend, not allowed to access category/section manager.

Thanks.
- pedma -

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:24 pm

RysiuM hasn't been online since July.. I fear he has lost interest in this and its going to die without ever being perfected.

pedmajungne
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pedmajungne » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:09 pm

pmcnamara wrote:RysiuM hasn't been online since July.. I fear he has lost interest in this and its going to die without ever being perfected.
I hope RysiuM is ok ....

Btw, I found this (may be it's usefull) ... :)

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=304&t=351215

Hope it helps.
Best Regards,
- pedma -

RysiuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RysiuM » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:58 pm

pedmajungne wrote:
pmcnamara wrote:RysiuM hasn't been online since July.. I fear he has lost interest in this and its going to die without ever being perfected.
I hope RysiuM is ok ....
I'm OK. Sorry guys, I'm buried with other stuff (including work). The side I'm managing works very well for last year without any single issues. Still on 1.5.9 and I did not have any need to go higher (except I applied some critical security patches). So this is the reason I don't invent much stuff in that area.

I just verified, that the link still works - I got PM telling me it does not. I did not know that there are extra subdirectories in that zip until I opened that zip with Windos. WinZip does not show them. You need to look only at:

com_content\helpers\ (1 file)
com_content\models\ (4 files)
com_content\views\article\ (1 file)

I have not looked at higher versions of Joomla, so it is hard to tell if these fixes can be applied as is or there are some changes that require further investigation.

stoothman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stoothman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:29 pm

Just applied this fix to 1.5.20. I had to apply it manually but it did work.

Thank you for exactly what I needed.

RysiuM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RysiuM » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:11 am

stoothman wrote:Just applied this fix to 1.5.20. I had to apply it manually but it did work.
Thank you for exactly what I needed.
I'm glad I could help ;)

I don;t know how long I will stay with comcast, so here is the link to the patch from my hosted site:

http://www.rysium.com/rysium.docs/RMA_f ... -01-30.zip

BTW, After many tweaking and I finally setup my site the way I wanted. It runs on 1.5.9, and beside the mentioned mod I have modified m17n (originally this module dos not handle home page properly) with some little " visual improvements" to my taste (like animated flag of current language). You are welcome to visit http://www.rysium.com

Return to “Administration 1.5”