File permssion issues: Installing extentions

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
webpigeon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

File permssion issues: Installing extentions

Post by webpigeon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Hello,

I've been having trouble with Joomla's extension installer. I've been trying to use the FTP layer in order to install the extensions. However the file permissions are not set correctly on the uploaded files, and so the install fails. The webserver deamon is being run as a user (www-data iirc), the uploaded files are assigned to me (via the ftp layer, which is fine) but the permissions for the files are being set as rw only for my user, not for group or world, when they are in the tmp directory. This means that get_file_contents can't read them, so the install fails.

Do you know what causes this and how I can get round it?

Below is an example of what I mean.

Code: Select all

webpigeon@tigger:~/public_html/tmp/install_49de1d65d5b85$ ls -al
total 28
drwxr-xr-x  4 webpigeon webpigeon 4096 2009-04-09 17:08 .
drwxrwxrwx  3 webpigeon webpigeon 4096 2009-04-09 17:08 ..
drwxr-xr-x 12 webpigeon webpigeon 4096 2009-04-09 17:08 admin
-rw-------  1 webpigeon webpigeon 9065 2009-04-09 17:08 com_easybook.xml
drwxr-xr-x 10 webpigeon webpigeon 4096 2009-04-09 17:08 site
which results in the errors below in the exention installer:

Code: Select all

Warning: file_get_contents(/home/webpigeon/public_html/tmp/install_49de1d65d5b85/admin/config.xml) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/webpigeon/public_html/libraries/domit/xml_domit_lite_parser.php on line 1082

Warning: file_get_contents(/home/webpigeon/public_html/tmp/install_49de1d65d5b85/com_easybook.xml) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/webpigeon/public_html/libraries/domit/xml_domit_lite_parser.php on line 1082
I have checked and I am able to change permissions via gFTP with my user account without issue, php is installed as an apache module (mod_php). Thankyou for any help that you can give me.

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: File permssion issues: Installing extentions

Post by davetanguay » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Turn off FTP layer completely and try installing the extensions again. I never use the FTP layer since it just caused problems for me.
CPanel Web Hosting Services http://interactiveonline.com/shared-web-hosting
Follow us on Twitter @interactiveo

Return to “Administration 1.5”