Assign client area exclusive to client that nobody else sees

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ironman2003
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Assign client area exclusive to client that nobody else sees

Post by ironman2003 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:46 pm

I did a cursory search and didn't see anything specific to what I am doing, so if it has been answered already please show mercy on me and point me in the right direction. :)

Here is my scenario:

Master site advertising web design and other services which consists of the following goal:

After securing client via contract, I assign client username/password for them to log-in to their special section of the site. This section would then consist of the following:

• Customer's preliminary site design
• Help Desk access for support tickets
• Billing/invoice area

Upon customer's approval of web site design, I move the entire Joomla installation to their server and their domain name.

I know that I can assign specific users to separate groups such as "Clients", however, I want Joomla to exclude all other clients so it is more personalized to said user.

I have Community Builder installed at the moment and am willing to change to something different. As for the help desk, billing areas etc...in the ideal world, it would be centrally located on my site.

Currently, I have my site set up with the following access given to the client which I know there must be a better way of doing it:

http://www.example.com/clients/clientnamehere/

This gives them the ability to access their individual Joomla installation to see their site under the preliminary development phase.
[Mod Note: Triple Bump posts by You deleted. Please do not bump your messages. Read the Forum Rules for full details.

theantitaly
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Assign client area exclusive to client that nobody else sees

Post by theantitaly » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm looking for something like this too, just simpler: I need only an exclusive page for every single client, where I can put text, links, attachments. Client must only read and download, nothing else.

varietypack
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by varietypack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:22 am

I am doing something very similar right now with a client's site. I have used JUGA to restrict access on the admin side (configure the client backend admin panel to only have the necessary items available for what they need to do, in my case create galleries and only give specific users access to those galleries.) I am using Open Source Excellence Joomla Access Control to manage the access restrictions to the frontend content (I could use JUGA for both, but the interface is much easier with Joomla Access Control and since my client will be using this to restrict access to users he creates, it needed to have a simpler interface than JUGA.)

Basically this is my configuration. Admin logs into backend, creates gallery, article, user, and menu item. Grants new user access to new gallery via Joomla Access Control, setting login loading page to new article.

Now when that user logs in, they will only see the items intended specifically for them.

JUGA and Joomla Access Control are both amazing tools! Joomla Access Control is a much easier interface to navigate and easier to understand but is not as complex as JUGA. Right now it is working for me...all of my tests have been solid so far and access to everything is in place. My site will be live sometime later this week, though, and the real test will come when my client starts using it and I start doing SEO stuff and getting into a real mess!

Word is that Joomla 1.6 will take care of this natively, though...my fingers are crossed!

Hope this helps.

Aloha,

Randy Mills
The Variety Pack

ironman2003
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ironman2003 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Randy -

Thank you for the JUGA recommendation. So far, I have looked at several options including that, but haven't really seen it match my requirements which I am beginning to believe it may be a little too far fetched for what I am trying to do.

For now, I have settled on creating an Article page directly with the Client's temporary web site home, and the links to contact me via a help desk installed.

Which each client, I will be taking said article and giving the URL to them directly to click in an email containing their pertinent login information (I set up the account for them). This so far, seems to be the most logical for me, yet a bit too archaic.

I have built social networking sites in the past and I think what I am trying to do is take the element of the Profile page only for the client (In this case would be in community builder), but at the same time, prevent them from reading other client's profile pages or searching them out. So each client has the ability to log in, pay their bill(s), communicate directly with me. (IF the don't have time to call me or are unable to reach me directly).

In reference to the 1.6, I did look at their latest version (Not the nightly builds), and I tested it on my server, so far in terms of the Admin Gui, it does look cleaner and not as cluttered as it would on my end. However, I can see why it isn't fully released yet. Has some work to be done especially in the User Group area.

I will re-look at the JUGA plugin for my needs.

ironman2003
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ironman2003 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:57 am

OK! I FINALLY SOLVED IT!!!!

First - download this plugin inlineACL:

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ction/5673

Install it and create a master page for your clients with all the information you want to present to them such as their url, login information/passwords etc...

Separate each client's info with the inlineACL code so for mine I have:

Code: Select all

{iACL type=userid 1,66}  Client A's Content here {/iACL}

{iACL type=userid 1,65}  Client B's Content here {/iACL}

and so on for each client...
When you do this, you would then need to set the permissions to Registered and then set a menu pointing to that article which is also Registered. Upon login - the client will see the menu appear and then they can click on the link and see ONLY their information there. The userid in the above code is what dictates who can see what. Now...you can actually change it to any of the following as well:

• {iACL type=userid 1,62,84}Your text{/iACL} - the content between the tags is visible only for the user with the specified IDs. The ID of the unregistered users is 0!
• {iACL type=!userid 1,62,84}Your text{/iACL} - the content between the tags is invisible for the users with the specified IDs. The ID of the unregistered users is 0!
• {iACL type=username admin,username}Your text{/iACL} - the content between the tags is visible for the users with the specified usernames.
• {iACL type=!username admin,username}Your text{/iACL} - the content between the tags is invisible for the users with the specified usernames.
• {iACL type=group author,guest}Your text{/iACL} - the content between the tags is visible for the specified groups only. Possible values are: guest, registered, author, editor, publisher, manager, administrator, super administrator, special
• {iACL type=!group author,guest}Your text{/iACL} - the content between the tags is invisible for the specified groups. Possible values are: guest, registered, author, editor, publisher, manager, administrator, super administrator, special
• {iACL type=cbfield value1,value2}Your text{/iACL} - please specify a real Community Builder field name in the parameters of this plugin. The content between the tags is visible if the value of the user is available in the list. This way you can create any number of user groups
• {iACL type=!cbfield value1,value2}Your text{/iACL} - the content between the tags is invisible for the groups specified in the above option

So, even names can be used or groups.

Next, I followed the directions at the following link:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... t+on+login

Followed the post from "iamwaggle" on page 2. This lets you set a redirect page per user upon login.

In the user editing page from the back end - simply paste the article url in the login redirect such as:

index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10

This contains the inlineACL code for each user. If client A logs in, they get client A's content and not Client B's. If Client B logs in, they get Client B's not A's.

I hope this helps those who are really stuck on this, It was a great relief to get this done on my end after a few nights and days banging my head against the wall. :)

Andrew Davies
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Andrew Davies » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:20 am

Thanks for following up your post once you've found a solution - really help me (and saved me posting the same question !!)

Best wishes,

Andrew

Simplyme
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Simplyme » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:16 am

Wow Ironman, this is exactly what I have been looking for to set up in my website but I am still stuggling with Joomla, any chance you have a "...for dummies" version of how to set it up? I've installed and enabled the plugin but the iACL steps, I do not know where these are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ironman2003
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ironman2003 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:30 am

Basically you would want to get the user id's from your user manager under the admin menu. Look to your far right and it will list your ID Numbers used in the example below. You take the code and place it in your article and it will only show what is in between the code and show it to those users.

My Comments are Shown with underscores and Italicized.

For Example:
{iACL type=!group,guest}This site is restricted to authorized users only! If you are reading this, then you are not authorized. {/iACL} _SHOWS TO GUEST ONLY_

{iACL type=userid 1,62,84}
To my authorized users, I am letting you know about a great deal at http://www.example.com on some wonderful widgets!
{/iACL} _THIS SHOWS ONLY TO THE USERS YOU WANT TO SEE IT_
Hope this helps!

More Precisely - This is what my code is for what I did for a couple of my clients so you can see how I worked it (Changed the URLS as per my client agreements)

Code: Select all

{iACL type=userid 1,66}
Thank you for your entrusting Nelson Consulting for your web design needs!

Your web site is currently online and ready for customers.

Your web site link is:

http://www.example.com

{/iACL}

{iACL type=userid 1,65}
Thank you for your entrusting Nelson Consulting for your web design needs!

Your web site is currently online and ready for customers.

http://www.example.com

{/iACL}

Return to “Administration 1.5”