Users can't login using IE!

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
LAUSAADMIN
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Users can't login using IE!

Post by LAUSAADMIN » Fri May 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Hey,

I have recently had many problems reported that my users cannot log in using internet explorer even in compatability view. It appears to just refresh their page but shows them logged in on the backend, when they try again and again it shows more of the same username trying to log in, I use firefox but experience the same problem when I try with IE, it then works after a while but then stops working again.

Is this an issue with 1.5.17 ?

Thanks,
Tom

duckjunkie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Users can't login using IE!

Post by duckjunkie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:10 am

I have this exact issue Tom! Have you found a solution? ??? ??? ???
I am just baffled by this - I even put a leaderboard on my website telling people to use Chrome if the want the best experience on our site. Ridiculous. :( :eek: :'(
I should point out that I have JomSocial 1.8 on my site and I use the JA_Purity template. Do you have a community? :pop
New to Joomla! but trying really hard to figure things out on my own! If I am asking here, I am likely frustrated, embarrassed or otherwise not happy. Please be easy on me and I will try to get back to it on my own without being a pest. ;)

LAUSAADMIN
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by LAUSAADMIN » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:35 am

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, I have community builder installed, latest version and latest version 1.5.20 of joomla.

Even after loads of updated I am still having the same issue!

Thanks,

Tom

serialhacker
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by serialhacker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:46 am

r u using separate module for user login....

if sooo what is the name of that module
Give me a min i will make it...
give me a hour u will know how to make it....
give me a day world will be surprised about it...
giv me a month i will make world to forget about it...

duckjunkie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by duckjunkie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 pm

On the home page we have a Login or Register Now (mod_login)
It is the default Joomla Login Module that came pre-installed
AND
The JomSocial login in module doesn't work either - IF you use the correct password, it redirects you to the login page with a notice You Must Log In First. If you enter the wrong password, it redirects and says user name and password do not match.
Either way, the user shows to be logged multiple times if they tried multiple times in when looking at the backend. :eek:
Also, we use Connect via Facebook (mod_jomsocialconnect) and it "gets stuck" too. It verifies the user and then just stays on the "import status and profile pic" with the loading icon forever until you click off the page.

Thanks in advance serialhacker! :geek:
New to Joomla! but trying really hard to figure things out on my own! If I am asking here, I am likely frustrated, embarrassed or otherwise not happy. Please be easy on me and I will try to get back to it on my own without being a pest. ;)

c121mark
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by c121mark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:11 pm

I am having the exact same issue. Everything is working fine in Firefox but myself and my users cannot log in using IE 7 or 8. I am using Joomla 1.5.18 and the latest Rockettheme Zephyr template.

patschroeder
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by patschroeder » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but ...

I have Joomla! 1.5.20 Stable and an IE8 user that cannot login with same behavior as described above.

In IE8, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy. In "settings" I found a strange custom setup. I changed it to the default setting of "Medium" and the user could login without a problem.

Notice that if you change the IE8 privacy setting to "Medium High", you'll start to see the same strange "I can't login" behavior. According to IE8, the difference between Medium and Medium High is in restricting vs. blocking "first party cookies that save information that can be used to contact you without your implicit consent." ???

tyrusmanuel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tyrusmanuel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:13 pm

Did we ever find a real solution to this? I just moved my Joomla sites from one server to another and am using Xammp and the latest Joomla build 1.5.21. Since moving the sites users cannot login in IE and admins cannot either. FF is fine, I have been reading lots of boards and see lots of similar problems but no concrete cause or solution. There must be a specific difference with IE that is causing this, possibly something in the com_user? And magically changing peoples IE security settings isn't a real solution either, besides for me this didn't work.

Anyone? anyone??

troykristoffer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by troykristoffer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:54 pm

I found a fix for my situation. I am also having this problem, exactly. I'm using the mod_cblogin. I'm not sure if you guys are using a secure certificate or not (HTTPS) but my problem seemed to stem from that, and the settings in the module.

I also notice, that I have to login TWICE in Firefox for it to take.
This may be a cookie problem, but I don't know.

At "HTTPS (encrypted) login, register and lost password" I had the module set to "use HTTPS (encrypted) at login and after login". I changed it to "use https for posting login then same", which seemed to clear up all of my login issues in both browsers. I am comfortable with this setting because I have Joomla's own configuration to force all pages to be https anyway. So, even if the module redirected to http, it would always be redirected to https. I think this is where the conflict was...

Hope this helped!

corydos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by corydos » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:40 am

I seem to be having this exact same problem with IE8 and IE9. I can't login at all.

With a stroke of luck I was able to enter and also realize that I can't add images with IE and IE9.

Does anybody have a problem similar to this? I am running on joomla 1.5.22

thanks

Cerhio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cerhio » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 pm

exact the same problem with ie 8 and joomla 1.5.22

i found that with "remember me" checkbox checked, they can log in... i wonder...

Cerhio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cerhio » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:43 pm

changing ie security settings doesn't take any effect

nothing in bug report

nothing in server error.log

???

Cerhio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cerhio » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:54 pm

hmmmm

i'm using sh404 sef. and with live_site=http://www.domain.com login doesn't work, but with live_site=http://domain.com it works!

so i'v found temporary solution. but still do not understand where the problem realy is

RmrJmrGrl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RmrJmrGrl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:18 pm

I am having this same issue. Using the standard login module and it works in other browsers but not IE 8. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

RmrJmrGrl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RmrJmrGrl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 pm

I was able to get the user logged in if they change the security setting to Medium. Not a long-term fix since I can't control what setting people have their browser set to. Is there a way to fix this in Joomla?

GarfordJB
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GarfordJB » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Hello,

This is weird, I'm using 1.5.23 and have just started to get this fault. I've not had it before and am not using any modules and components on this site that I'm not using on countless others.

Anyway, many thanks to Cerhio for pointing out that ticking the Remember Me box enables the login to take place.

It's not perfect, as it removes some of the functionality that others may require, but if you make sure that the Remember system plugin is activated, and you change the remember me checkbox to a hidden field set to the value "yes", then it seems to work every time. Of course, your users don't get the option NOT to be remembered, but at least it works.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has located the source of this problem.

Garford

KMK Enterprises
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by KMK Enterprises » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:19 am

Cerhio wrote:hmmmm

i'm using sh404 sef. and with live_site=http://www.domain.com login doesn't work, but with live_site=http://domain.com it works!

so i'v found temporary solution. but still do not understand where the problem realy is
Well, this was the solution for me. Here's an explanation I found with a simple Google search.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2345 ... ithout-www

Susan9911
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Susan9911 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:25 am

I've read all of these comments, and still cannot figure out how to fix my problem.

We have a new 1.6 build, and access to the backend and the registered users via front end is fine in Firefox and Chrome, but fails in Internet Explorer (both IE8 and IE6) on several different computer systems--a pop-up appears on login attempts:

With a Log In of existing User: attempts to download file, and then asks whether to save or open index.php file

When trying to register as a new user, the pop-up is for an unknown file type users (and then asks Do you want to save this file or find a program to open it?). BUT, despite this, the new user was added to the list of Users in User Manager in the backend.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get IE working well with the Joomla 1.6 install?
Thanks!
Susan9911

Susan9911
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Susan9911 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:19 pm

The install is in a htdocs directory, and all of my prior joomla installs were to a root / directory, so I'm wondering if there is some path issue that IE8 has trouble with (reinstalled with 1.7 Joomla--same IE issue; another 1.7 install on a different server into the root worked fine). I know this is the 1.5 forum, but that's where the IE issues seem to be.

thirdsun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thirdsun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:07 pm

My solution to this issue was to rewrite all URLs to having no-www, using .httacess.

Susan9911
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Susan9911 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:37 am

We;ll try it and see what happens.

sanjiv
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sanjiv » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:01 pm

My solution to this issue was to rewrite all URLs to having no-www, using .httacess.
can you please explain some more how you did this?

leonmedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by leonmedia » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:46 pm

i have just noticed this on a couple of sites put live recently. When logging in using the default login module or menu item using internet explorer it doesnt work. When you click the (joomla) 'remember me' checkbox it logs in fine. I just tried using the yootheme(.com) yoologin module (which doesnt have the 'remember me' box) and it works fine so you could try giving that a go.
Incidentally it is worth redirecting yourwebsite.com to www.yourwebsite.com as mentioned above. This is also a good SEO tactic. Add the following to your .htaccess in your root folder (rename htaccess.txt) to do this:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourwebsite.com [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.yourwebsite.com/$1 [L,R=301]
Leonmedia http://www.leonmedia.co.uk, web hosting, web design, content management and ecommerce

www-malezi-net
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by www-malezi-net » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:08 am

I had the same problem. IE Users could not login to my website, unless they check the "remember me" box.

I found out it's because the plugin "System - Canonicalization" which I installed recently. This is used to redirect site.com pages to www.site.com.

After doing deactivate it, the problem has been gone.

cyrusantonius
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cyrusantonius » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:13 am

My website also had the same problem while trying to log in using IE, I would get the error please login first, FF, Chrome and Safari had no problems.

Based on one of the replies i had seen in this thread, I modified the file default.php for the module mod_login and set the styling as a hidden field for the remember me checkbox along with the text and set checked as the default. This worked for me in Internet explorer and other browsers (Not a very pretty hack but atleast IE users can log in, which is what i needed). Also Redirecting all the non 'www' urls to urls with 'www' will work.

<?php if(JPluginHelper::isEnabled('system', 'remember')) : ?>
<p class="remember">
<label for="modlgn_remember"><?php echo JText::_('') ?></label>
<input id="modlgn_remember" type="checkbox" name="remember" style="display:none;" class="inputbox" checked="checked" value="yes" alt="Remember Me" />
</p>
<?php endif; ?>

btaylor507
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by btaylor507 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:31 pm

Here's a fix using .htaccess and php.ini (usr/lib) edits.
First you need to edit your php.ini file accordingly :

To: session.save_path = tmp

2nd edit your rewrite settings in .htaccess to:

# RewriteBase /
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.(.+)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://%1/$1 [R=301,L]

Forget about setting the "remember me" option (Just a hack not a fix)
This is for community builder login problems for IE

This will stop duplicate logged in users also.

Best,
Bill (Modified Web)

youbiz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by youbiz » Fri May 18, 2012 11:46 am

@Btaylor

Doesn't work for me ! :( Any other solution?

youbiz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by youbiz » Thu May 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Finally I solved the problem : here is my way :
1) From CB Login module I choose : remember me checkbox-show unchecked
2) Setting cookies in IE -medium
3) In htacces file I use this code :
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^youbiz\.ro(.+)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://youbiz.ro%1/$1 [R=301,L]

Replace youbiz.ro with your own domain name !

Now everything is ok! Hope this will help you!

ysva
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ysva » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 pm

I've found the easiest fix ever, and it's also applicable to anyone having problems login in with safari on either mac or ios, iphone, ipad, etc. I'm replying to this thread because it was the first result on google so here we go.

Login to administrator, go to global configuration, remove anything you've posted in cookie settings.

Worked like a charm for me. Best of luck.

savansakshi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by savansakshi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:02 am

Hello everybody,

To solve this problem................

libraries/joomla/application/application.php file.

Remove or comment the line

$session->fork();

Hope that will help....

References:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=20255

Return to “Administration 1.5”