Adding a Fillable PDF to Joomla 1.5 Website

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
MBMurdock
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Adding a Fillable PDF to Joomla 1.5 Website

Post by MBMurdock » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:19 pm

In the past I had successfully added a fillable PDF to my clients Joomla 1.5 website. The fillable functions of the document stopped working a while back, for reasons that are still unclear since we did not do anything to change the PDF or the way it was linked.

The client just decided it was time to fix the problem. I recreated the fillable PDF using Adobe Pro, uploaded it to the website, and linked it to a page. Unfortunately, when I open the PDF it is not fillable.

After quite some time trying to resolve the problem, I realized the PDF is not opening in Adobe Reader, instead it is opening as an image.

When I started working with Joomla 1.5 several years back, I learned the proper way to link documents was with the following Link URL information: images/pdfs/document-title.pdf.

I was wondering if there was a different way to write the Link URL so a pdf will open using Adobe Reader, or is there something else I should be doing to resolve this problem.

I know this can be done because I was able to do it before, and it's driving me nuts that I'm unable to do it now.

MBMurdock
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Adding a Fillable PDF to Joomla 1.5 Website

Post by MBMurdock » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

I wanted to add some additional information to the question I had above. I had the client try to open the fillable pdf on their computer and it did open correctly.

I then decided to try viewing the website with a different web browser and opening the pdf. This time it opened correctly.

This issue seems to be something which would be beyond the control of Joomla (unless someone knows of a work around), so I will simply add a note below the link letting users know they may have to try a different web browser if the pdf does not open correctly.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:03 am

This have to do with the PDF Reader Plugin installed into the client's Browser. There has been a change in the browsers starting with Google Chrome. The others have followed. The old plugins does not work any more. You can save the file to local disk and open it from there.

The way I do it, is to make Web Forms that stores the data in the database rather than using fillable PDFs.

To get any further, you have to migrate the site to the current version of Joomla (3.6.5), as version 1.5 have not been supported for more than 5 years.

dkorb
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dkorb » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi - I have a PDF that I want to upload to my blog via Joomla!. I am able to upload url links but don't know how to add in the PDF to the post. Do I need to upload anything? I tried uploading JCE 2.6.11 but not sure it is doing anything. Thanks.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Install Phoca Download, Phoca Download Plugin and Phoca Download Button Plugin.

LarryK
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LarryK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Problem is very likely the browsers, not your website.

In Windows 10 they came out with Microsoft Edge, a new browser with their own PDF viewer that does not permit script files like fillable PDF forms.

I don't like this viewer for other reasons so I set my PC to open Adobe Reader (DC or XI) for all my PDF files- whether I just opened them from a website, email or stored in my hard drive.

Return to “Administration 1.5”