Cache folder access

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 security issues.
Joomla! Vulnerable Extensions: http://feeds.joomla.org/JoomlaSecurityV ... Extensions

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security Checklist
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
LeviBrown
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Cache folder access

Post by LeviBrown » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi there,
I have installed Joomla and it works great. Upon making it my sourceforge project site (hosted at sourceforge.net), I run into a problem with the newsfeeds. It says gives me the error "Cache Directory Unwriteable". I have changed the directory permissions to 755 and also 777 and tried it with no luck. I believe it is a permissions problem as the site cannot access the server through FTP (it only is available SFTP and SSH with sourceforge.net). Is there a way around this? I tried JoomXplorer and couldn't create/delete the cache directory to give Joomla the ownership? I really hope someone else out there has run into this problem... thanks.

Levi

dogbody
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Cache folder access

Post by dogbody » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:25 am

If you use sourceforge's hosting they provide for free you need to make those directories world-writable like you said.  I was going to put joomla on there as well at one point but decided I didn't really need that much functionality considering what a headache it would be if someone changed something.

In joomla's backend administration, global configuration options, you have to specify the cache directory as a complete file path from the server's root (rather than web server document root) eg /usr/local/www/myjoomlasite/cache.  You'll need to find out what this path is on their server for you project.

-actually I just noticed this was in the v1.5 section - I don't use 1.5 so maybe this is irrelevant but I'd check these anyway
Last edited by dogbody on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeviBrown
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LeviBrown » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks for responding. In 1.5, your right that wont work as there is no way to specify the absolute path in the gloabal config to the cache directory. Allthough, mabye putting it in by hand in the code would work? I doubt it though, and who knows what problems that might make later on. Any one else go through this problem in 1.5?

Thanks again,
Levi

trix_star30
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trix_star30 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:32 am

Hello!

I also have problems regarding the cache folder access. I have modified the writing permissions already and it works. However, after 24 hours, the same error occurs and only to find out that the cache folder is already missing. Right now, I keep on making the folder because it gets deleted after 24 hours.

Is there a way to solve this? This has been a challenge for me especially as a newbie to everything in Joomla.

Thanks in advance.

-Xyc

idea_man
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by idea_man » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:47 am

LeviBrown wrote: Hi there,
I have installed Joomla and it works great. Upon making it my sourceforge project site (hosted at sourceforge.net), I run into a problem with the newsfeeds. It says gives me the error "Cache Directory Unwriteable". I have changed the directory permissions to 755 and also 777 and tried it with no luck. I believe it is a permissions problem as the site cannot access the server through FTP (it only is available SFTP and SSH with sourceforge.net). Is there a way around this? I tried JoomXplorer and couldn't create/delete the cache directory to give Joomla the ownership? I really hope someone else out there has run into this problem... thanks.

Levi
I just installed Joomla and it looks great, just I can't seem to get the Permissions right to login on the backend or use my test server?  Would you share how your permissions are set? 

Frenkix
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Frenkix » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:01 pm

trix_star30 wrote:Hello!

I also have problems regarding the cache folder access. I have modified the writing permissions already and it works. However, after 24 hours, the same error occurs and only to find out that the cache folder is already missing. Right now, I keep on making the folder because it gets deleted after 24 hours.

Is there a way to solve this? This has been a challenge for me especially as a newbie to everything in Joomla.

Thanks in advance.

-Xyc

I am having same problem. My cache folder is getting deleted every 24hours... so i need to keep it making every day. Does anyone know why is this happening ?

Return to “Security in Joomla! 1.5”