Long iniital load times for Joomla site

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.
moonstar2005
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Long iniital load times for Joomla site

Post by moonstar2005 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:28 am

I thought the problem was solved. but it has not. I only got my page to not to throw 403 pages. It loads sooooooooooooooooooooo slow. I optimized my tables too. Also, I am have trouble with .htaccess file for 3 party. I am using SEf404 and I can't get it to work. I have been trying to get it to work for hours and nothing works. Networksolution says it is because we are on share host so I would be slow and for us to move to independent virtual server. Yeah, that really helps. Is there another host, besides Godaddy that people had good experience with and good loading speed?

moonstar2005
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by moonstar2005 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:58 am

Ok, I again, got off the phone with networksolutions and I am just fed up with them. They are rude and not helpful. They say it is the Joomla problem the homepage is load ever so slowly. They claimed that they never have speed problem. The homepage takes 7 seconds to load and it is not acceptable, so I am going to migrate to a different host. Don't use Networksolutions if you don't have to. Bad customer service, bad support.

brianjacobson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brianjacobson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:38 am

Moonstar,

I have been having similar issues as you, with similar results. The sample data would take 40 seconds to load by itself! I went through most of what you wrote regarding the .htaccess file, SEF, and mod-rewrite, and it seems to be running much better, at least under the sample data, uploading a site that has been running locally to test further. I have also uploaded to Joomla 1.52. I'll let you know what I find, but so far has been much better.

Along those same lines, I don't think I would pick Network Solutions again, they were entirely worthless as far as support went, I called in a ticket and simply got an email back from a "technician" stating they don't support "custom" coding and then recommended me their "do it for me" package. Anyone else have good luck with any other hosts in case this falls through tonight?

Thanks for keeping the thread updated Moonstar!

dkarlovi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dkarlovi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:26 am

brad wrote:
moonstar2005 wrote:I am running into the same problem with joomla 1.5.1. Pages wont load frontend. seems like sql problem. using unix, php5, joomla 1.5.1. I just launch the site yesterday, and no one is on my site and I still can't get my page to load. Also using networksolutions. However, my admin backend loads fine without a problem so that was kinda odd.
Have you tired with 1.5.2 ?
As far as I've seen, 1.5.2 doesn't address performance issues which really exist, the number of people saying "My Joomla 1.5 is slow" cannot be a coincidence. But it's nothing to be worried about, with this kind of structural change there are bound to be "low hanging fruit", when you resolve those, you could get 2x or 3x the performance you get now.

Some offenders are queries which should get indexed, there are other issues as well like using ereg*() instead of preg*(), ircmaxwell could say something more on this.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:18 pm

dkarlovi wrote: As far as I've seen, 1.5.2 doesn't address performance issues which really exist, the number of people saying "My Joomla 1.5 is slow" cannot be a coincidence. But it's nothing to be worried about, with this kind of structural change there are bound to be "low hanging fruit", when you resolve those, you could get 2x or 3x the performance you get now.

Some offenders are queries which should get indexed, there are other issues as well like using ereg*() instead of preg*(), ircmaxwell could say something more on this.
Well, insensitive preg is significantly faster than eregi, but ereg is faster than non-caseinsensitive preg... But aside from that, 1.5 will be slower than 1.0. That's because it's written to be completely object oriented. And as long as we support php4, we can't put any of php5's optimizations in... Which slows it down significantly. Legacy is killing us! (both in the legacy mode plugin, and support for MySQL < 4.1 and PHP < 5.0 (5.2 would be VERY nice, but 5.0 would give us a LOT)).

On the note of queries, the problem with 1.5 is not that the queries are not indexed (they actually mostly are), but that they are not optimized at all. The official target of 1.5.3 is performance optimizations (at the moment), and we are working on some significant tweaks. The difference is not going to be huge for small sites, but large ones should easially see the difference...
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

smooth-c
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by smooth-c » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:12 pm

seajohn wrote:I added a cron job to download http://www.mysite.ws/index.php every 15 minutes. That seems to have helped quite a bit. Since doing that I've only had one time when the download took longer than 10 seconds to get the entire site; previously I was seeing at least 15 seconds just to see the first byte of the site!

So, I still don't know what the root cause for the long load times is. I'm guessing it's due to Joomla loading up a bunch of stuff at its first invocation; I guess it all gets cached at that point but after a few hours the cache gets dumped. How to fix this or if it is fixable, I don't know.

However, I think this solution will let me get around it until I get enough traffic to the site to eliminate the problem.
What did you put in your cron job?

dkarlovi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dkarlovi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:45 pm

ircmaxell wrote: Well, insensitive preg is significantly faster than eregi, but ereg is faster than non-caseinsensitive preg... But aside from that, 1.5 will be slower than 1.0. That's because it's written to be completely object oriented.
I doesn't need to be as fast as 1.0, it needs to be fast enough to (lets say) generate under one second on a modest machine and a relatively small dataset and traffic. You must take into account what Joomla's core bussines really is and adjust accordingly, one size does not fit all. My guess, Joomla mostly gets rolled out on overloaded shared hosting or smallscale VPS on small to medium traffic sites as a regular CMS. There surely are installations not fitting this description, but how much of them don't?
And as long as we support php4, we can't put any of php5's optimizations in... Which slows it down significantly. Legacy is killing us! (both in the legacy mode plugin, and support for MySQL < 4.1 and PHP < 5.0 (5.2 would be VERY nice, but 5.0 would give us a LOT)).
Yep, legacy blows. GoPHP5! :)

moonstar2005
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by moonstar2005 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:36 pm

My goodness, so everyone is having problem with joomla 1.5. I thought it was my host at first. Yeah, Networksolutions really fraustrasted me. They keep routing me to the offshore tech support, which is useless help to me. I think I am on their black list because I must have called them 5 times last night and I was practically yelling at them. :eek:

One thing I notice when I was checking for permance on my webiste. a file that came with Joomla in the system file "mootool" is very large. I was wondering if there is a way around this.
Last edited by moonstar2005 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuck249
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by chuck249 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:44 pm

I switched to digitalspace and the initial load time problem is gone.

moonstar2005
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by moonstar2005 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Really, that is good news. You have no problem with their configuration (apache, php etc) and server right? Is their tech support good?

moonstar2005
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by moonstar2005 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:52 pm

also, I ran joomla performance, and I think I fail in every category. Beez is using 7 css files, and that increased the size of css files. It says I am not html compliant which is strange because I am using beez template which says it is xhtml compliant

moonstar2005
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by moonstar2005 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:58 pm

another guy who is also using networksolutions requested to move their site to another server and that fixed the problem. I am going to try that and if that does't work, I am going to a different host

bret381
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bret381 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:35 pm

seajohn, I think i saw that you were using ipowerweb. I believe that company as well as startlogic and one other company are all in the same building sharing the same servers. I know that startlogic, the company I am unfortunately with, is having problems with their sql servers causing very long delays on loading joomla pages. It is not a Joomla 1.5 problem though more than likely. I have another joomla 1.5 site on a free server and it works great.

OVerDriven
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by OVerDriven » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

I'm using Joomla 1.5.1 and Bluehost for my hosting, and sometimes have the exact same problem. No data transfer at ALL for 15-20 seconds. I highly doubt this is a server issue. I've been using Bluehost for some high traffic sites (mostly Wordpress based) and those run really fast. Never a problem. I can download 700K/sec from my site. I think it's a problem with Joomla. I improved the situation quite a bit by doing the following:

1. Renamed the htaccess.txt to .htaccess. Without doing this, it is basically inactive.
2. In Global Configuration, I turned on Caching and Gzip.
3. In the Plugins, I enabled System:Caching. You must enable the plugin then go into the plugin settings and turn caching on, which is mildly retarded.
4. I enabled FastCGI in my host's PHP settings. This is supposedly an altered version of PHP that is faster. I don't know if it had any effect by itself, but the site works fine with it on, so I'm leaving it. See if your server has it.

As of right now, the site seems the be very responsive. This morning it was having some major slowness, and that is when I made the changes. I don't feel that it's been long enough to say "it's definitely fixed", but at the moment it seems to be fine. I'm a bit worried still because it's going to get banged hard tomorrow when a large ad campaign hits. I'll keep you posted.

moonstar2005
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by moonstar2005 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:40 am

Hi overdriven, I tried the settings you recommanded and it speed up my site. I didn't do the last step, I will have to ask my host if I can enable fastcgi .

moonstar2005
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by moonstar2005 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:00 pm

HI chuck249, I am also thinking moving to either digitalspace as you have recommanded, or Godaddy. Can I ask which type of package did you choose? did you choose the advance package. If you have chose advance, did you have problem installing the Joomla 1.5.2 on their server? because I have problem installing Joomla 1.5.2 on to the VPS at Netowrksolution where the page came up blank. Can I ask what your initial loading time is after the switch? AT network in the morning it takes 10-15sec for me to load my page and 2 sec to load my page at night which is unacceptable.

Would it be possible for me to reference how large is your file size of your homepage so we can compare with ours to see if your situation is similar with us to see if Digialspace will be a good place for us. It is just that it has been a week, and my problems have not been solved and I am afraid of switching to another host and same initial loading problems occur.

BTW, I am 90% sure now that there is a network problem with networksolutions, a tech person confirm that. It doesn't make sense that at night my page load time will take 2 seconds and in the morning it will take 12sec. not acceptable for a live site. 10% is the joomla 1.5 with large file (mootools.js file) but that doesnt equate to 12sec pageloading time.

stakken
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stakken » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:23 am

Did anyone find a solution since last post of moonstar2005?

IPN
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IPN » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:16 pm

reposting...

I did TWO things of what OVerDriven suggested:

I'm using Joomla 1.5.1 and Bluehost for my hosting, and sometimes have the exact same problem. No data transfer at ALL for 15-20 seconds. I highly doubt this is a server issue. I've been using Bluehost for some high traffic sites (mostly Wordpress based) and those run really fast. Never a problem. I can download 700K/sec from my site. I think it's a problem with Joomla. I improved the situation quite a bit by doing the following:

1. Renamed the htaccess.txt to .htaccess. Without doing this, it is basically inactive.

2. In Global Configuration, I turned on Caching and Gzip.

I'm hosting with intelliplans.com unlimited hosting package.

Unlimited Space and Transfer!
1000 Email Accounts
Unlimited MySQL Databases

I also have with them about 30 joomla 1.5 sites and they are loading within 1-2 seconds.
Last edited by ooffick on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod NOte: Removed Pricing information

jem22
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jem22 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:15 pm

I can confirm that the issue is not necessarily server-related. I have recently set up two Joomla 1.5.1 websites with separate hosts (DiscountASP and GoDaddy). Both of them take a very long time to load and often it is more than just the home page that delays before loading. In fact, the same loading lag happens on the back-end administration pages too.

Here are my Joomla specs:
[quote]PHP Built on: Linux p3nlh028.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Nov 3 16:55:59 EST 2009 i686
Database Version: 5.0.67.d7-ourdelta-log
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.8
Web Server: Apache
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.1 Production/Stable [ Seenu ] 8-February-2008 22:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 [/quote]

Both sites are running Legacy 1.0 and are built with JoomlaArt templates.

Here are the links to my sites:
http://www.rainwatercollecting.com/
http://www.blackbearexplorers.com/joomla

I have not yet done anything to resolve this problem, but thank you all for posting your experiences with this problem.

NicholasBoccio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NicholasBoccio » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:38 pm

BAAAAAAAAAACK from the dead!

I struggled with this issue after switching servers, and it was a DNS problem at my dedicated server that resulted in my problems.

Hope this helps anyone still struggling with this!

sertacg80
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sertacg80 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:33 pm

I used this problem too in my website but i wasn't solve. I changed my host.

jem22
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jem22 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 pm

I am the original creator of this post and I SOLVED my problem. It was a hosting issue.

My host (GoDaddy) recently updated me to a new server technology (it's free for all customers) that dramatically increased the speed of my site. Now it loads within 2 seconds, whereas before it would take up to 15 seconds the first time and at least 10 seconds for each additional page (including back-end updates).

If you use GoDaddy and Joomla, call them and ask to be upgrade to the new server technology.

My Site: www.rainwatercollecting.com

tappy52dog
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tappy52dog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 pm

What server technology was it? Litespeed? SSD drives?

jiakomo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jiakomo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:39 am

Same problem here. The problem happens even with other php CMSs. This must be a server issue, surely?
NicholasBoccio wrote:BAAAAAAAAAACK from the dead!

I struggled with this issue after switching servers, and it was a DNS problem at my dedicated server that resulted in my problems.

Hope this helps anyone still struggling with this!
I know this is an old message, but this is driving me crazy. What kind of DNS setting was it?

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”