Reduce joomla site files count!!!

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
engprofessor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Reduce joomla site files count!!!

Post by engprofessor » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:39 am

Hi everybody,
Joomla uses lots of files, i need to reduce my joomla site files count because it exceeded the limit of my hosting server, so i need to reduce files number, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Reduce joomla site files count!!!

Post by Tonie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:11 am

First advise would be to find another hoster. How many files are you allowed?

engprofessor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by engprofessor » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:11 pm

5oooo file as normal, the problem is that joomla installs too many files, and i need to remove any unnecessary files, so any can mention that?

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Joomla is way less than 50000 files, about 7000. Question is where those other 43000 files are from.

engprofessor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by engprofessor » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:17 am

Dear Tonie, i am sorry if i didn't make my question clear, i am hosting many sites and f course joomla is about 7000 an it reach 10000 by installing the extensions u need.

So the question is "Is there any way to reduce joomla files from 7000 to less?"

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 am

You can remove the stuff that you don't use, but I really wouldn't advise that you go this route unless you know what you are doing. Also upgrades are a pain, as this will write files back again which you might have removed earlier. Easiest to remove are template that you don't use from /templates, and images that you don't use from /images

Marcus Stafford
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Marcus Stafford » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:22 pm

I assume you are referring to inodes? This counts all objects in your site including folders, files and images and can escalate quite quickly.

As soon as you do any core upgrades it'll replace the removed files.

I'm with Tonie though, find a better hosting firm.
Joomla! Managed Hosting, Web Design, Hack Repairs and Consulting ~ https://www.wintercorn.com

Agelor
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Agelor » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Find a better host, these days a decent webhost isn't that expensive anymore. This saves you also lots of time at every upgrade. Beside that I wouldn't recommend to just delete some files from the core package required or not this shouldn't be necessary. And a webhost that worries more about the amount of files then the size and bandwidth of it? I don't think you should take that host to serious...
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

videohead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by videohead » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:12 pm

I use Bluehost, which is definitely one of the best hosts that I have encountered.
200,000 files allowed per account, which means that I get about 20 capable working sites from each installation.
I'm removing the unused template files from each, which gives me a 10% boost - about 700 files from /administrator/templates and /templates.
Ideally, I'd like to strip down some of the others - especially the editors and the unused components like polls and some of the other stuff.
Any ideas appreciated - would like to bundle up a shell script to enable me to remove files again after an upgrade.

naturaltv
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by naturaltv » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:05 pm

May I ask to restart this thread, as there were no real answers to the question, the problem persists and virtually all reasonable priced hosting has a hard limit on the number of files, i.e Godaddy Ultimate Linux hosting has a hard limit of 250K files, meaning about 30 or less Joomla sites. I myself have successfully made a working Joomla 2.5 install with all the modules, etc of the full Joomla 2.5 install with the demo content, down to about 5000 files. It was a hit and miss process to produce it and it has core hacks, but it is skinny and it works! There oughta be a better way! It is not an answer and adds no value to the discussion to post answers like look for another host or don't hack the core. Be creative, please!

naturaltv
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by naturaltv » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Excuse me, there were a few posts that did offer, albeit, limited creativity on the subject. Lets hear some real creativity! Again, please

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Have you looked at a multi site extension, one Joomla install for multiple domains using their own databases. Here is one extension, I have not tried this and this is not an extension recommendation;
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... sites/5550

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:02 pm

Wow, never knew hosts gave you a max file count. I thought there was space restrictions but even now most of the time it's unlimited unless you have VPS or dedicated, but even then the littelest amount of space you could get would probably be more than enough for joomla.

Change hosts, most hosts offer joomla one click installs so if your host won't let you put joomla on there it isn't worth it and I'm sure if it's a price thing you can find comparable cheap hosting.

You can't reduce the file count of joomla, it requires all the files to operate. It's a PHP application so each file is part of the application, it's not like C/C++ for example and isn't compiled into a single binary so your SOL. Since it's scripted language it's compiled every time on the fly when it's accessed and your path through the application could be different depending on what's happening so you won't use all X files per request maybe but it totally depends on the application, how it's written, and what happens at run time. I'd say it's not possible to reduce your file count so start looking at another hosting provider unfortunately.
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”