google having problems accessing my site

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.
Locked
seaside man
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:55 pm
Contact:

google having problems accessing my site

Post by seaside man » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:33 pm

hi my site is, www.in2town.co.uk and for a few weeks now google has had trouble accessing part of my site.

Today googlewebmaster tools tells me that google is having major problems it shows, 123 pages where access were denied.

i have spoken to my hosting company who could not find a problem, so not sure what to do now. can anyone please give me advice on what the problem may be.
In2town Magazine is a popular magazine covering celebrity gossip, travel news, lifestyle news, gadget news and so much more. visit http://www.in2town.co.uk

mynomi008
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:31 am
Location: Pakistan
Contact:

Re: google having problems accessing my site

Post by mynomi008 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:23 am

Hello sir,

First of all check your site for broken links. There are a lot of online tools available which can do this. After you have analyzed this, please install any xml sitemap generator component, which should generate the sitemap in an xml format. Xmap component would be ideal.

Now, the next thing comes that you should apply redirects on the urls, which posts have been deleted and which no longer exist. You can do so through robots.txt file or .htaccess file or using any other redirect component.
Web Programming and IT Support Services
http://www.codingace.com

seaside man
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: google having problems accessing my site

Post by seaside man » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:09 am

i have at the moment around 400 redirects in my htaccess file. the reason for this is, when we tried to update the site about a year ago my hosting company made a huge mistake and lost over 3000 pages, so we had to build the site from scratch.

i still have about 1000 pages that are bringing back 404 and not sure if i should still add these to the htaccess file. i would say about 70 per cent of those old pages had links on them and the other 30 per cent did not, so not sure what to do.

here is the sitemap i have at the moment which just shows sections of the site. http://www.in2town.co.uk/sitemap-xml?sitemap=1

any more help would be great
In2town Magazine is a popular magazine covering celebrity gossip, travel news, lifestyle news, gadget news and so much more. visit http://www.in2town.co.uk

User avatar
ahmad
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:02 pm
Location: Egypt
Contact:

Re: google having problems accessing my site

Post by ahmad » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am

How about your robots.txt?

What was the exact message you got from Webmasters tool? You're getting 404 ULRs or they are not available to reach?


Locked

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”