Performance issues - bad script or problem web host?

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.
TrentSC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Performance issues - bad script or problem web host?

Post by TrentSC » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:08 am

Apologies if I’m not clear or use the wrong naming conventions – I’m relatively new to Joomla and tend to work mainly in html rather than php, so this is all Greek to me…

I’ve got a Joomla site running 1.5.24 which is having performance issues and the web host has suggested that the problem is likely to be with buggy scripts rather than performance on their server. The site is accessed by around 1-200 users/day and has a membership module (aMember) and a forum (IPBoard by Invision)

Among the messages I’ve had from the web hosting tech…
  • 1. Please note that the following accounts, XXXX, is consuming a very large number of the server's inodes, totalling today at 117,066.
    2. The site was executing with extremely long execution times again, I suspect you have a coding issue in the site. We cannot tell what script in particular, however the stats show us that within the space of three minutes the site consumed 5,200 seconds of CPU time. Our hourly limit for a shared server is 1,000 seconds, so this was quite a substantial over use and even on its own server it would likely have cause the server to overload or fall over.
    3. Checking the logs the most executed and consumed scripts are the following:
    USER DOMAIN CPU PATH
    XXXX 12.0 /usr/local/php52s/bin/php index.php
    XXXX 6.2 /usr/local/php52s/bin/php index.php
    XXXX /usr/local/php52s/bin/php index.php
    4. I would say that really the primary thing you need to look at doing is on working out why your scripts are executing so slowly. On average over the last 24 hours your site executes in 2.11 seconds. Do you have a bad plugin? Custom code that needs analysing?
The problem I have is that the person who built the site for me (and who is otherwise excellent) thinks that there aren’t any code problems, and that the issue is that I’ve got a crap web host. Before I go to the hassle of moving hosts, however, I’d like to see if it’s possible to run some form if integrity checking to establish whether the issue is indeed one of a crappy host, or whether there’s a script issue.

Is there a relatively simple way I can achieve this without disabling the functionality of the site?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Trent

The character limit on this forum prevents me from posting the full FPA text, so it's here: http://philipcave.org/post_assistant.htm

jratunh21
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Performance issues - bad script or problem web host?

Post by jratunh21 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:17 pm

I definitely would choose another Hosting company.
Also the information on this link should help you.

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582854 :pop

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”