Menu items displaying 404 Issue

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Shekyl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Menu items displaying 404 Issue

Post by Shekyl » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:35 am

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could me with a problem I am having with my menu item links on the front-end. Nearly every single link I click on is displaying a broken link with an error page saying 404.

I am using version 1.5.26. I have been investigating these forum boards and it appears that this version is no longer supported by Joomla and could be the reason why I am getting these broken links. Is this true?

The website belongs to my cricket club and I have been brought in to try to fix the issue as I have some experience using Joomla and other CMS systems. If anyone can suggest a resolution that would be great. Also, if possible try not to use heavy code-speak language. I do have experience, but not an intricate working of the system.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Menu items displaying 404 Issue

Post by andypooz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:27 am

This is almost certainly an issue related to htaccess and SEF url settings. Things to try:
1. If you have a file called htaccess.txt in your root folder change it to .htaccess (with a stop/period at the start and no .txt extension). Reffresh and see if that helps.
2. Go into the global configuration in the admin panel and change the SEO settings and save (one at a time) to see if you can get those links working. You may end up with ugly URLs but at least that tells you what the issue was. Note that the Use Apache mod_rewrite setting is the one that relates to changing htaccess.txt to .htaccess, so you should have this setting turned on and the filename changed to .htaccess at the same time.
3. If neither of these are to blame then it could be a php.ini issue. If you have a php.ini file in your root folder, you might want to rename it to php.ini.bk (so that you can restore it if it doesn't work) to see if there's something in the php.ini file that might be screwing things up.

No one answer, but a few things to try, based on identical issues I've had in the past.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

Shekyl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Menu items displaying 404 Issue

Post by Shekyl » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:38 am

Thanks very much for the swift response.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I find my root folder?

I have tried altering the SEO settings without luck. Actually, they were all turned on, including the Use Apache Mod_rewrite setting.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”