MAC Users and Zipping Extensions

Discussion and education for beginner / novice programmers interested in embarking on the development process to take advantage of the extensible nature of the Joomla! CMS.
JamesJeffery
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

MAC Users and Zipping Extensions

Post by JamesJeffery » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:53 pm

Right, today i found a serious error in the way Apple computers compress files and folders. I wanted to raise this because it took me over 2 months to solve this issue. I gave up on developing extensions because I could not understand why i was getting the message: "XML file not found".

I took the same test file over to my Windows laptop and zipped it up, brought it back into the MAC and it worked.

I took a look at the temp folder and this is what was going on:

When i zipped the file, there was no folders within the zip. It was just the to files, the .php and the .xml. It seems when it unzips it adds the MAC folder and a folder with the same name as the zip file.

For all those MAC users having the same "XML File not found" issue, this is why. I am now trying to work out how to stop this from happening so I can continue to develop modules on my MAC.

rogerco
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: MAC Users and Zipping Extensions

Post by rogerco » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:42 am

I think the built in OSX archiving is not really suitable for serious use. I use ZipIt instead which works more like you would expect (especially if you come from a PC world) http://www.maczipit.com/index.html There are other alternatives (eg Stuffit) but I found this one worked best for me and is quite cheap.
RogerCO

JamesJeffery
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JamesJeffery » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:31 am

I now use StuffIt, actually I have had it for a while but i didn't suspect the osx zipping utility would be causing the problems.

kdebs
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kdebs » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:46 pm

I'm haveing this same problem on my mac. Who would have thought it'd be OS X. I did notice that OS X does make it too easy, but automaticly unpacking a downloaded zip, meaning i have to recompress it.
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

Return to “Joomla! Coding 101”