converting php script to joomla component

Discussion and education for beginner / novice programmers interested in embarking on the development process to take advantage of the extensible nature of the Joomla! CMS.
superchuck24
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

converting php script to joomla component

Post by superchuck24 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:35 pm

I have been working with joomla for a while now and am now trying to move into coding my own extensions. I currently have a php script that is used for users to search a database and return a list of resulting items that match their query. I want to make this a component. I am looking for any advice people may have on either converting the script or rewriting it.
Also, does anyone know of any video style tutorials for extension development?

patterncatcher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: converting php script to joomla component

Post by patterncatcher » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi, get Learning Joomla 1.5 extension Development and Mastering Joomla 1.5. Extension and Framework Development, both by Packt Publishing.

The first book holds your hand writing your first component, I got a component up and running in a few hours with this book, and I (was) no php whizz. The second is an invaluable reference-style book, I haven´t found documentation this good about coding for Joomla anywhere, and is fully worth the money, it saves SOOOOO much time searching fruitlessly on the internet and forum for answers that aren´t there.

Gergo Erdosi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: converting php script to joomla component

Post by Gergo Erdosi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Look at also the Development category on the Docs site:
http://docs.joomla.org/Category:Development

Return to “Joomla! Coding 101”