IE7 problem ... can't open or preview sites after logging in

Discussion and education for beginner / novice programmers interested in embarking on the development process to take advantage of the extensible nature of the Joomla! CMS.
baprich
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

IE7 problem ... can't open or preview sites after logging in

Post by baprich » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:05 pm

Greetings everyone,

We are unable to preview or open any of our users sites in a new window after logging in with IE7. Our devs and server techs have been trying to find the problem for 2 days unsuccessfully and I pray someone can help :)

I'll start by saying everything works fine in all other browsers IE6 & below, FF 2&3, Opera and even Safari for win & mac. IE7 brings up the sites fine for visitiors... Just admins can't preview or open in new window AFTER logging in :(

With IE7 when trying to view in new window or preview we get:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet. ( definitely connected:)
The website is encountering problems. (none..IE7 only)
There might be a typing error in the address. ( nope)

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems ( No connection problems.. have tried clearing caches, flushed dns, rebooting routers to name a few)

We enabled error logs and the test procedure & results are as follows: Run through complete test in all browsers but IE7 and error log shows no errors..everything works as it should. ... NEXT ... Open the same account and login with IE7 ... preview in new window (won't open) ... open in new window ( won't open )...
Error Logs then show the following:
[20-Aug-2008 12:10:42] PHP Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_5b917dec5eb9bbf16b524099f37c2ae9, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0
[20-Aug-2008 12:10:42] PHP Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Devs and server techs say session paths look fine so I am at a total loss... We're losing users and I'm willing to offer a reward if neccessary... Help :-[

Thanks in advance!

ps. sorry for the multiple posts but we are in panic mode. We'll clean up after we find a solution..promise ;)

baprich
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: IE7 problem ... can't open or preview sites after logging in

Post by baprich » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:35 pm

any ideas ???

Return to “Joomla! Coding 101”