Extended Menu

Do you have an Open Source Product available for Joomla!? Let everyone know here.
de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Extended Menu

Post by de » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:27 pm

n3n wrote: Is it possible for each menu item to have another background image ?
Yes, with the use of "Element IDs"... see also: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg172284

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:53 am

Yes it is. In the parameters you can give eacht item an individual id (element id:yes) and than assign the bgimg to that id in the template css.

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi de, what is the difference between suckerfish and son of suckerfish?

I just installed the 0.3.2 version on http://sumeprod.nl/index.php and it works flawless in FF, but the submenu items don't show up in IE. On your site it does work on IE, what could I have done wrong? I adjusted your CSS (only the look of the items) and changed nothing else to the code.

Edit: I just saw it doesn't work on Safari on the Mac either.
Last edited by TomT on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:22 pm

TomT wrote: Hi de, what is the difference between suckerfish and son of suckerfish?
The "son of suckerfish" is based on the following follow up article (they used that name):
http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/
They probably also explain the difference.
TomT wrote: I just installed the 0.3.2 version on http://sumeprod.nl/index.php and it works flawless in FF, but the submenu items don't show up in IE. On your site it does work on IE, what could I have done wrong? I adjusted your CSS (only the look of the items) and changed nothing else to the code.
Please check out the 1.0.0-rc1 version... the CSS should be better for both. However... to make the sub menu items appear in the IE the also provided JavaScript need to be loaded (refered to by the menu.html).
TomT wrote: Edit: I just saw it doesn't work on Safari on the Mac either.
Sorry, I am still waiting for someone donating me a MacBook (or what are the names) to test it on a Mac :P
But I did test it on Konqueror which should render very similar to the Safari. But as mentioned please test the 1.0.0-rc1.
(Would be glad to fix any bugs before I make it final)

rostom
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Problem with Extended Menu Using Horizontal Display

Post by rostom » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:02 am

Hi All,
I'm having a problem getting Extended Menu to display horizontally. Using Joomla 1.0.7, Extended Menu 0.3.2, and I edited my /includes/database.php on line 513 as described in this thread (changed mysql_fetch_row to mysql_fetch_array).

I am pointing Extended Menu to my mainmenu menu and it shows all the menu items if I select any Menu Style other than Horizontal. But when I select Horizontal display from Menu Style all I get is the Home menu item and nothing else. This is not an IE or Firefox issue as I have looked at the HTML source code of the resulting page and the source doesn't even show the rest of the menu items.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rostom

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:50 pm

de wrote: However... to make the sub menu items appear in the IE the also provided JavaScript need to be loaded (refered to by the menu.html).
I uploaded the javascriptfile in a folder js in my template folder. Is that the right place? I'm going to upload the new RC version  of suckerfish jr now.

Thanks, Tom

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:16 pm

Edited post: First test results of ext. menu 1.0 RC1 with sun of suckerfish: it seems to work okay on FF and IE on PC and Safari and Firefox on Mac!!!
I'll have to give the CSS extra attention for Safari, but that shouldn't be to big a problem.

So Daniel, congratulations with another big step in the development of extended menu  :D.

Thanks again, Tom
Last edited by TomT on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Problem with Extended Menu Using Horizontal Display

Post by de » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:42 pm

rostom wrote: I am pointing Extended Menu to my mainmenu menu and it shows all the menu items if I select any Menu Style other than Horizontal. But when I select Horizontal display from Menu Style all I get is the Home menu item and nothing else. This is not an IE or Firefox issue as I have looked at the HTML source code of the resulting page and the source doesn't even show the rest of the menu items.
I'd suggest you to either reinstall or upload files contained in the zip... in the version 0.3.2 the file is called views/horizontalmenuview.class.php which may not work very well for some reasons. Alternatively you could also try the version 1.0.0-rc1.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:51 pm

TomT wrote: I'll have to give the CSS extra attention for Safari, but that shouldn't be to big a problem.
Hmm what do you mean by this exactly? Are there things to change in the CSS?
TomT wrote: So Daniel, congratulations with another big step in the development of extended menu  :D.
Thank you. :-)  (Will make it final soon)

maxa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by maxa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:49 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the Extended Menu - it seams to be what I need, but I have some problems with it.

I need it as a simple drop-down menu that should show all content items that are in one particular section. I tried some different settings and found that only two settings brings me close to what I want:

1. Source Type = Section Categories / Content Items (Tree) > Problem: The menu shows the category + item. I need item only.

2. Source Type = Category Content Items (Flat) + categories given in Source Value box  > Problem: Looks fine, but if visitor chooses the first item in the menu, it brings a "Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /404/ on this server."

Why is that?

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:32 pm

maxa wrote: 1. Source Type = Section Categories / Content Items (Tree) > Problem: The menu shows the category + item. I need item only.

2. Source Type = Category Content Items (Flat) + categories given in Source Value box  > Problem: Looks fine, but if visitor chooses the first item in the menu, it brings a "Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /404/ on this server."
Hmmm so you are saying that it worked fine with option 1.?
You could try to turn off SEF and see how it peforms in that case... you could also try the version 1.0.0-rc1 (there the module parameters a bit different but still very similar)... I am not sure I changed anything relevant though.

maxa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by maxa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:25 pm

Option 1 was fine but I don't want it to show categories, only content items. Is there no way to make it show only the content items?
I do not use SEF.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:44 pm

maxa wrote: Option 1 was fine but I don't want it to show categories, only content items. Is there no way to make it show only the content items?
I do not use SEF.
It is just strange because the links to the content item should be the very same... for option 1 and option 2. What is the difference if you look at the URL for each option?

maxa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by maxa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:40 pm

de wrote:
maxa wrote: Option 1 was fine but I don't want it to show categories, only content items. Is there no way to make it show only the content items?
I do not use SEF.
It is just strange because the links to the content item should be the very same... for option 1 and option 2. What is the difference if you look at the URL for each option?
I'm really sorry, I told you wrong :-[  Option 1 was Category Content Items (Tree)...
Does my problem make more sense now maybe?  :)

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:34 pm

maxa wrote:
de wrote:
I do not use SEF.
I'm really sorry, I told you wrong :-[  Option 1 was Category Content Items (Tree)...
Does my problem make more sense now maybe?  :)
Honestly? No... actually the content item links of all source types except "Menu" (in 0.3.2) are rendered the same way (using the same code)... but if it is another source type it may be another content item (which causes the problem). Did you compare the URLs yet?

maxa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by maxa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:51 pm

de wrote: Honestly? No... actually the content item links of all source types except "Menu" (in 0.3.2) are rendered the same way (using the same code)... but if it is another source type it may be another content item (which causes the problem). Did you compare the URLs yet?
Now it looks fine. I put all content items in one category, and I named the category "Choose month" (but in Swedish), since the menu promptly includes the category name.

But still, if you would click the "Go" button when menu shows "Choose month", it gives you a 404. Any item that I put first in the menu gives 404. Please have a look at http://www.mysite.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=99

Now it is set to Category Content Items (Tree).

Edit: Now it does not give 404, but "Direct Access to this location is not allowed". This since I tested to make a menu item out of the category "Choose month" (the first item of the extended menu).
Last edited by maxa on Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:02 pm

maxa wrote: Now it looks fine. I put all content items in one category, and I named the category "Choose month" (but in Swedish), since the menu promptly includes the category name.

But still, if you would click the "Go" button when menu shows "Choose month", it gives you a 404. Any item that I put first in the menu gives 404. Please have a look at http://www.resekatalogen.se/index.php?o ... &Itemid=99

Now it is set to Category Content Items (Tree).

Edit: Now it does not give 404, but "Direct Access to this location is not allowed". This since I tested to make a menu item out of the category "Choose month" (the first item of the extended menu).
Ok, that is because in 0.3.2 Category links were not generated... and the select list menu style did not disable the item when there is no link... when the empty url is posted to the file it leads to that error as if you were opening it directly in your browser.
That means... if you want the Category link go for 1.0.0-rc1 (or wait for 1.0.0 final).

maxa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by maxa » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:15 pm

de wrote: Ok, that is because in 0.3.2 Category links were not generated... and the select list menu style did not disable the item when there is no link... when the empty url is posted to the file it leads to that error as if you were opening it directly in your browser.
That means... if you want the Category link go for 1.0.0-rc1 (or wait for 1.0.0 final).
Ok, so where can I find this 1.0.0-rc1?

(It might look stupid that I don't make a simple form myself for this application, but I am testing the module for another application where I need it to include new content items automatically. That's why I want this module.)

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:52 pm

maxa wrote: Ok, so where can I find this 1.0.0-rc1?
You will find it there:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg178784

maxa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by maxa » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:57 pm

Thanks de!

camos
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by camos » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Not sure why but I did not get any images for the tree menus.  Had to d/l tham from the menu on de.siteof.de.  Got the HTMLtree working but no images appear when using the CSStree.  Should there not be a CSS file to deal with the classes like this: ?  Also, the menu produces empty spans, there should be an & in there.

Using version 0.3.2

Cheers
Freedom is not free!
It is however Open Source.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:50 pm

camos wrote: Not sure why but I did not get any images for the tree menus.  Had to d/l tham from the menu on de.siteof.de.  Got the HTMLtree working but no images appear when using the CSStree.  Should there not be a CSS file to deal with the classes like this: ?  Also, the menu produces empty spans, there should be an & in there.
The images are not intended to be part of the menu module itself... but it was somehow on my TODO to provide them similar to the menu templates.
The spans are empty because they should not take any space without the CSS (but I am not 100% happy with the HTML output yet). You could also just use the CSS of my site (or I send you the part as it is probably not very well readable).

camos
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by camos » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:33 pm

I expect your To-Do list is quite large and it is certainly up to you whether the images are included or not but without the images the HTMLtree menu is somewhat ineffective.  The same could be said about the CSStree with regard to the missing stylesheet and images.  Perhaps there is not too much importance to doing this but I think it is worth a little consideration.  I can get the image/styles from your site or build tham myself but there are some who may not know how to do that.

I wonder if there is some method available, or possible, for developers to put links to styles in the Joomla showHead function?

Regarding the empty span, I can't remember if that is considered a validation error or just a warning.  Having a   in there will fix the problem and likely will not make it any larger than it would be without.  The span must be large enough for the image in any case.

Cheers
Freedom is not free!
It is however Open Source.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:00 pm

camos wrote: I expect your To-Do list is quite large and it is certainly up to you whether the images are included or not but without the images the HTMLtree menu is somewhat ineffective.  The same could be said about the CSStree with regard to the missing stylesheet and images.  Perhaps there is not too much importance to doing this but I think it is worth a little consideration.  I can get the image/styles from your site or build tham myself but there are some who may not know how to do that.
The problem is that you could use whatever images you like... and my thinking is that design should not be included in the module itself. I would rather provide them as a separate menu template (which is not yet done). I would not really recommend "HTML Tree"... one reason is that it already "hardcodes" which images have to be used (even though you could exchange them). "CSS Tree" gives you more freedom... and because you don't have to style all parts of it you could actually use it as a little bit more complex "Tree List" which allows you to put for example an "arrow down" for menu items with opened menu items... on the other hand you could now do it using a regular menu template as well.
Ok... maybe too many words... to summarize... there will once be a menu template (like the suckerfish) available which also includes the images and proper CSS.
Actually with the next version I will provide a dTree menu template which renders a tree like menu without lines and plus/minus when JavaScript is turned off.
camos wrote: I wonder if there is some method available, or possible, for developers to put links to styles in the Joomla showHead function?
Unfortunatelly not yet... or at least not that I know of.
But I believe it is planned... else I would probably make it possible to load the menu.css directly.
camos wrote: Regarding the empty span, I can't remember if that is considered a validation error or just a warning.  Having a   in there will fix the problem and likely will not make it any larger than it would be without.  The span must be large enough for the image in any case.
I believe I checked the validation... but then it was just "Transitional" and not "Strict" I believe (so I am not sure). I think using a " " is not the same... because the user could use a browser with CSS turned off or not supporting it... and then you would see the spaces... also if the font is forced resize larger by the browser the result may not be the same on all browsers anymore.
However, I was already going to change the output to make the spans nested (which would also support RTL)... the only thing (beside the time) which made me hesitate was that the plus would not be a link anymore (which is not a big issue as it is the same link as the menu items text).
But I am open to further suggestions... for example what the HTML should look like.

I really have to admit that "HTML Tree" and "CSS Tree" is not really documented (and prepared) well... I mainly created it to show that the same look is possible even without JavaScript (and since it seems that only very few were interested in it anyway I did put more efforts in the other areas).

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Extended Menu 1.0.0 released (MEEMM for insiders)

Post by de » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:09 am

After many years of developing and testing... I guess this is it...

The new and fresh version 1.0.0 contains many improvements... use it to navigate through sections, categories, content items (you can even make it expand regular section/category link menu items), plugin support (load menu items from a custom database table or create complex views), updated and added menu templates (csstree and dtree added), ...

Download:
http://developer.joomla.org/sf/frs/do/v ... menu.1_0_0
and of course: http://de.siteof.de/extended-menu.html

Enjoy your new life with the new version.

pink
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pink » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:51 am

ok, I downloaded the rc version, but I still cannot get an item and a parent to be highlighted at the same time.

My scenario is like Toms, I want the parent link to go to the first item in the child links.

For example:

About us
> history
> contact us
> location

So when you click about us, you find yourself on the history page.

I have duplicated the item id link for them, but the history item does not get highlighted when you click about us, despite the url being the same.

But it could be that I don't understand the "parameter" box that is there now instead of the selectors. What elements should I set to what?

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:02 am

pink wrote: ok, I downloaded the rc version, but I still cannot get an item and a parent to be highlighted at the same time.

My scenario is like Toms, I want the parent link to go to the first item in the child links.

For example:

About us
> history
> contact us
> location

So when you click about us, you find yourself on the history page.

I have duplicated the item id link for them, but the history item does not get highlighted when you click about us, despite the url being the same.

But it could be that I don't understand the "parameter" box that is there now instead of the selectors. What elements should I set to what?
Hmm there is no extra parameter for the special case that the first child should be the same as the parent. Basically your first goal need to be to make it highlight the "history" menu item instead of "About us". You could probably archive that by having the "About us" beeing an URL link to "history" (not the other way around). (There may however be a limitation using URL links in the current version of the menu and module manager built into the Core).
If that is done, you can just use "Active Menu Classes" to make it apply the class "mainlevel_active" to "About us". (which you could then style the same way as #active_menu - or slightly different).

quiquedcode
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by quiquedcode » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:45 am

Hi Daniel
I saw you released 1.0.0
exmenu is becoming better & better !!

Thanks 4 the hard work !!
@kabeza
Freelance Joomla/CodeIgniter Developer
Home: http://www.beza.com.ar

pink
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pink » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:49 am

ok, so currently the about us link is a content link, and the history link is a url link. So I'll try swapping that around, and also making them both url links. It was 3am when I gave up, so hopefully something obvious will slap me in the face!

pink
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pink » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:02 am

ok, hooray - I figured it out! I made a menu link to a content item, then I copied the url and made another menu link to the url. Then I made the content item link the child of the url link. This way around it works fine. I am so knackered, I am just glad it works!

And as an aside, thanks for this fantastic menu system, despite the high learning curve, I love the flexibility of it! I am sure it will all appear supremely easy to me in a few days!

Return to “Open Source Products for Joomla!”