Extended Menu

Do you have an Open Source Product available for Joomla!? Let everyone know here.
pink
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Extended Menu

Post by pink » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:16 am

I've just realised that all three of my posts start with ok... I've got to stop doing that!

maddunr
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by maddunr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi,

I installed the 1.0.0 version of Extended Menu, and applied the son-of-suckerfish-horizontal template. I have chosen to use element ids on a flat list. On IE, it seems to appear fine (a horizontal menu), but on FF, it seems to appear like a bunch of items stacked on one another. I was wondering if this was because of the display:block class?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

- V

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:45 pm

maddunr wrote: I installed the 1.0.0 version of Extended Menu, and applied the son-of-suckerfish-horizontal template. I have chosen to use element ids on a flat list. On IE, it seems to appear fine (a horizontal menu), but on FF, it seems to appear like a bunch of items stacked on one another. I was wondering if this was because of the display:block class?
Sorry, I cannot tell. Make sure the container is large enough (the webdevelopers extension probably helps).

Heleen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Heleen » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:04 pm

Hello!

I tried this very interesting Extended Menu with the suggestions and scripts here: http://www.joomlaya.com/content/view/201/46/

It's working in FF but not in IE.

It's a horizontal menu with dropdown.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the setting 'template' 'menu.html'  I use Solarflare ii. Can I just leave it like this: menu.html ? Or should changes made somewhere else?

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:16 pm

Heleen wrote: I tried this very interesting Extended Menu with the suggestions and scripts here: http://www.joomlaya.com/content/view/201/46/

It's working in FF but not in IE.

It's a horizontal menu with dropdown.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the setting 'template' 'menu.html'  I use Solarflare ii. Can I just leave it like this: menu.html ? Or should changes made somewhere else?
The instructions do not cover a menu template (in fact I think it was written before I really made them public enough). So make sure that if you mix it (which you can) that you do use the classes consistently. For example there the class for hover for the IE is "sfhover" - in my latest version it is "hover" (in older version "over" like in the original suckerfish). The JavaScript changes this class... in my JavaScript file (which is part of the menu template) there is a variable to change if you want to use another class. Also make sure that the proper JavaScript script is loaded at all.

Heleen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Heleen » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:27 am

Thanks for your help!

This is what I did:

Installed exmenu 1.0.0.

Downloaded suckerfish_horizontal-1.0.0.
Took out de css from menu.css and put it in template_css.css
Took javascript from menu.js and put this in index.php
Put all other files in the template map.

Module: menu class suffix:  (empty)
            module class suffix: hover

I get a horizontal menu with dropdowns already there instead of appearing when moving the mouse over it.

What I am missing here?

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:01 am

Heleen wrote: Installed exmenu 1.0.0.

Downloaded suckerfish_horizontal-1.0.0.
Took out de css from menu.css and put it in template_css.css
Took javascript from menu.js and put this in index.php
Put all other files in the template map.

Module: menu class suffix:  (empty)
            module class suffix: hover

I get a horizontal menu with dropdowns already there instead of appearing when moving the mouse over it.
That is probably due to following the instructions half and half of the other site and those for my menu templates.
For the menu templates you would just need to unzip it to your site template (if you like within a sub directory - then you would need to change the module parameter "Template Name").
And then either reference to the menu.css or copy it to your template_css.css (like you did). The JavaScript should not be copied to the index.php (that way the browser cannot cache it)... if you unzipped all like it is in the zip then the js in a sub folder "js" (named "menu.js") and the menu.html contains a reference to that script (JavaScript references validate even when not in the head section).
And what now probably causes the problem is that you probably did not unzip the file menu.ini... it is not necessary but saves you from changing extra module parameters... like the class suffix.
So I guess you are just seeing the styling of what already was in your templates CSS.

The module class suffix should not be set to "hover"... "hover" is a special class applied by the JavaScript and used by the CSS... it is hardcoded in both: the JavaScript and the CSS and just need to be the same. If you used the files from my site only this is nothing you need to worry about. (But then just ignore the other site... I think it is of little help since the instructions are different)

Heleen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Heleen » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:17 am

Thanks a lot!
I did it all over again the way you said and it works!
I am very  ;D I really like this menu.

camos
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by camos » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:48 pm

Can the latest exmenu files just overwrite the RC version to apply the new version?
Looking at the paths in exmenu 1.0.0 the files Changelog, License, Readme and menu.html seem to be pointed at the /modules dir.  Should they not be pointed at the /modules/exmenu dir instead?

Regarding my earlier post about empty spans, the warnings are from the FF version of Tidy.  I ran the page through the W3 validator and it did not care about empty spans at all.  Also, inserting a   caused a wrap or break that messed up the tree.  After playing with it a bit I still don't understand why that happened.  I guess it isn't important since things do work well the way they are.

Cheers
Freedom is not free!
It is however Open Source.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 pm

camos wrote: Can the latest exmenu files just overwrite the RC version to apply the new version?
Yes, just overwrite the files. (I am also happily awaiting an update feature in the Core.)
camos wrote: Looking at the paths in exmenu 1.0.0 the files Changelog, License, Readme and menu.html seem to be pointed at the /modules dir.  Should they not be pointed at the /modules/exmenu dir instead?
Hmm... you are probably right... not 100% sure though... actually I think they are not unzipped during installation but just contained in the zip.
In the first versions there were no extra exmenu folder... should review that. Thanks for pointing it out.
camos wrote: Regarding my earlier post about empty spans, the warnings are from the FF version of Tidy.  I ran the page through the W3 validator and it did not care about empty spans at all.  Also, inserting a   caused a wrap or break that messed up the tree.  After playing with it a bit I still don't understand why that happened.  I guess it isn't important since things do work well the way they are.
Ok, yes... I have to say I was not very happy with that Tidy. It shows warnings like this (they are probably valid warnings though)... but did not see many other errors.

Btw. did you see my new "csstree" menu template? You see I was not ignoring your request ;-)

camos
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by camos » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:02 pm

The install process must write the mod_exmenu.php and mod_exmenu.xml to the /modules dir so the files that I mentioned will likely be placed there too.  I think they should not put in /modules but rather in /modules/exmenu.

As I mentioned, Tidy calls empty spans a warning but the W3 validator does not say anything about them.  This could be an introduced glitch with W3 as it has gone through several iterations just like our Joomla has on occasion.  I don't know if having an empty span should be a concern but as a warning it is not really a serious concern at this time.

So far I have not applied the newest versions to the one production site I have used exmenu on.  I did apply the RC1 horizontal suckerfish version to a default install using the MadeYourWeb template.  It worked OK except the menu is sitting on top of the pathway instead of above it where the module position is actually loaded into the template.  I did not make any changes to the default CSS because I wanted to see how well it worked without any tweaking.  The stacking may be caused by the CSS settings for the pathway.

I just now overwrote the exmenu files on the default Joomla with the new version 1.0.0 but have not yet had a chance to look at it.  After a little testing I will apply the new version to my development version of the production site.  Just being careful. ;)

Cheers
Freedom is not free!

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:19 am

camos wrote: The install process must write the mod_exmenu.php and mod_exmenu.xml to the /modules dir so the files that I mentioned will likely be placed there too.  I think they should not put in /modules but rather in /modules/exmenu.
Yes and no. The mod_exmenu.xml tells the installer about the files to copy... README, CHANGELOG and LICENSE are not listed there... so if you use the installer you should not find the files there. In the zip I'd like to keep them in the root (as this would be the usual place to look at)... when installed I agree they should be in /modules/exmenu (if at all).
camos wrote: So far I have not applied the newest versions to the one production site I have used exmenu on.  I did apply the RC1 horizontal suckerfish version to a default install using the MadeYourWeb template.  It worked OK except the menu is sitting on top of the pathway instead of above it where the module position is actually loaded into the template.  I did not make any changes to the default CSS because I wanted to see how well it worked without any tweaking.  The stacking may be caused by the CSS settings for the pathway.
If you have any suggestion that would make the CSS work better in general I'd be glad to hear (it should not contain any site specific styles... like absolute width or position). In 1.0.0 (final) I added some CSS to reset some li styles (as posted somewhere before). I think problems would usually occur due to the site templates CSS setting some properties (sometimes maybe to general like for all li elements)... or another problem may occur when the container is not large enough (like it would be the case when trying to display it in most templates in the position "left").

camos
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by camos » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:47 pm

I may be agreeing with you but am not sure what your reference to root means.  Perhaps it relates more to the archive application layout method rather than to the file themselves.  When files are unzipped with dir paths the root should be considered the root of the prime directory EG:exmenu and/or where ever the files would go when installed.  Otherwise they will end up in the parent /modules.  Installing puts the files where you want them but when upgrading some files may go to the wrong place. 

I am thinking in particular of menu.html, having it in /modules does not seem to be the right place although perhaps it is, relative to the default menu code.  If menu.html is needed and is supposed to be in /modules then that is untidy as all related exmenu files should be in the /exmenu dir.  It is also untidy to clutter up /modules with unrelated and unnecessary files like readme and changlog.  If every module developer did that those particular files would be overwritten often.

Also, regarding menu.html when no template is chosen that file name gets put into the Template name field but it is not clear to me what the path is to it.  When using the suckerfish template I use a path relative from the root of the site to where the file is located.

Cheers
Last edited by camos on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom is not free!

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:42 am

camos wrote: I may be agreeing with you but am not sure what your reference to root means.  Perhaps it relates more to the archive application layout method rather than to the file themselves.  When files are unzipped with dir paths the root should be considered the root of the prime directory EG:exmenu and/or where ever the files would go when installed.  Otherwise they will end up in the parent /modules.  Installing puts the files where you want them but when upgrading some files may go to the wrong place. 

I am thinking in particular of menu.html, having it in /modules does not seem to be the right place although perhaps it is, relative to the default menu code.  If menu.html is needed and is supposed to be in /modules then that is untidy as all related exmenu files should be in the /exmenu dir.  It is also untidy to clutter up /modules with unrelated and unnecessary files like readme and changlog.  If every module developer did that those particular files would be overwritten often.
I forgot to mention menu.html is also a file that does not get installed... it is just there so that if you downloaded the zip you can find a sample file right there... but you can safely ignore it... with root I was meaning the root of the zip file... I am looking at this from this position:
I get a zip and I want to know what it is about... I open the zip and expect the necessary file right there... not having to go to a sub directory.
So all files except mod_exmenu.* in the root of the zip file do not have to be installed at all and will not be put into the /modules directory (or anywhere else actually).
For a manual "upgrade" you are probably right that it would be more intuitive to have the files somewhere else... but then I am really hoping to see a upgrade feature built into the Joomla installer soon (I think the Mambo 4.5.3 CVS and so probably Joomla 1.1 had the possibility to just overwrite when installing - which is fair enough).
So I am a bit undecided the actual purpose of the files being there and the manual upgrade process (which is going to be obsolete not in a too far future).
At the moment I feel a bit more for the actual purpose (meaning in the root of the zip file).
camos wrote: Also, regarding menu.html when no template is chosen that file name gets put into the Template name field but it is not clear to me what the path is to it.  When using the suckerfish template I use a path relative from the root of the site to where the file is located.
There are actually different paths possible but none is relative to the /modules directory... so mainly the path should be to relative to the site templates folder (preferred) or an absolute path. It defaults to "menu.html" and enabled... that means with the default parameters it will look for the menu.html or menu.ini (actually the file given but with an .ini extension) in the sites template folder for that file and if it finds it it will use that instead of the menu style specified... otherwise it behaves as if the template support was disabled. That way a site template may decide to provide a menu template which gets loaded without interaction of the admin... if the menu template is in a sub folder (which is not a bad idea)... the admin has to interact by changing the "Template Name" parameter.

I hope that makes some sense.

camos
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by camos » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:49 pm

It seems to me if the menu.html template file has a use it should be installed and findable by default.  Perhaps in a template dir in /modules/exmenu.  Doing that would also make it more apparent where to put other templates like the suckerfish horizontal menu which could then go into /modules/exmenu/templates/SH/menu.html.  Anyway, just a thought.

After upgrading to version 1.0.0 I'm getting this error:
PHP Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in path to\modules\exmenu\loader\menu.menuloader.class.php on line 200

The /includes/database.php mod has been applied so is this a new error?  I did try going back to the original Joomla version but still got the error.

Cheers
Freedom is not free!

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:04 pm

camos wrote: It seems to me if the menu.html template file has a use it should be installed and findable by default.  Perhaps in a template dir in /modules/exmenu.  Doing that would also make it more apparent where to put other templates like the suckerfish horizontal menu which could then go into /modules/exmenu/templates/SH/menu.html.  Anyway, just a thought.
I think I will just remove the menu.html from the zip if it is confusing. I don't want menu templates in /modules/exmenu/templates because they should be part of the site template... because they contain styling which may look fine for the one site template but does not look good for another.
camos wrote: After upgrading to version 1.0.0 I'm getting this error:
PHP Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in path to\modules\exmenu\loader\menu.menuloader.class.php on line 200
Ok, this is indeed a small bug (that array is which is not initialised in all cases)... actually $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] seem to be empty for you... are you on a IIS?
Anyway... grab a new version of that file there: http://forge.joomla.org/integration/vie ... m=exsy1002
camos wrote: The /includes/database.php mod has been applied so is this a new error?  I did try going back to the original Joomla version but still got the error.
Since 1.0.0 (rc1) the change is not necessary anymore (but does not hurt either).

gleidsonlm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gleidsonlm » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:45 pm

How i can use the extend menu to be a dropdrawn menu?

camos
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by camos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:56 pm

de wrote: I think I will just remove the menu.html from the zip if it is confusing. I don't want menu templates in /modules/exmenu/templates because they should be part of the site template... because they contain styling which may look fine for the one site template but does not look good for another.
I guess I am confused then because when I look at menu.html I don't see any styling.  It looks like a patTemplate that sets up CLASS_SUFFIX etc.  Perhaps using exTmplt/menu.html as an example with an instruction to move it to the site template dir.  This is more or less what I did when applying the suckerfish and son of suckerfish templates.  It might make the setup more understandable to new users.  I am still sorting out what the parameters can do and how to go about using them.
de wrote: Ok, this is indeed a small bug (that array is which is not initialised in all cases)... actually $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] seem to be empty for you... are you on a IIS?
Anyway... grab a new version of that file there: http://forge.joomla.org/integration/vie ... m=exsy1002
Good stuff Daniel, it is indeed on IIS and that fixes it. :D
de wrote: Since 1.0.0 (rc1) the change is not necessary anymore (but does not hurt either).
More good stuff.  Perhaps worth noting in the changlog for users who have previously applied the database.php hack.

Cheers
Freedom is not free!

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:56 pm

gleidsonlm wrote: How i can use the extend menu to be a dropdrawn menu?
But you have read the instructions there?: http://de.joomla.local/extended-menu-templates.html
And the following post may help as well:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg191675

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:12 am

camos wrote: I guess I am confused then because when I look at menu.html I don't see any styling.  It looks like a patTemplate that sets up CLASS_SUFFIX etc.  Perhaps using exTmplt/menu.html as an example with an instruction to move it to the site template dir.  This is more or less what I did when applying the suckerfish and son of suckerfish templates.  It might make the setup more understandable to new users.  I am still sorting out what the parameters can do and how to go about using them.
The included menu.html is just a very simple patTemplate sample which should make it render similar to the menu style "Tree List" (btw. it uses the CLASS_SUFFIX... but does not set it)... alone it does make a lot of sense... and I may very well drop it since I am now having a other sample menu templates (even though more complex) and a separate page.
camos wrote: Good stuff Daniel, it is indeed on IIS and that fixes it. :D
Ok, cool... the "bad" stuff is though... that the "smart" current/active item highlighting will not work (unless you use a SEF that sets the server variable REQUEST_URI)... will have to see whether I am able add IIS support. (But since I switched to Linux I will probably not find an easy way to install the IIS;-)
camos wrote: More good stuff.  Perhaps worth noting in the changlog for users who have previously applied the database.php hack.
Actually it is in the changelog but this time I did not post it here completely (but just some major improvements):

Code: Select all

# fixed Select-List XHTML compliance for selected items and bug for sub menu items
+ dtree menu template
+ csstree menu template
+ sql_query menu source plugin
+ patTemplate variables: COUNT, IS_FIRST, IS_LAST, IS_EVEN
+ menu templates may now only contain an ini file without a patTemplate file
+ menu items may be filtered by the source value

1.0.0-rc1
+ patTemplate variable: HAS_SUB_MENU_ITEMS
+ extended section/category/content possibilities
+ added plugin support
+ many parameters
! reorganised files
! replaced loadRowList call which was made incompatible in Joomla 1.0.6/1.0.7
... it is the last entry (uhh is that English actually? Well, I have the excuse of not being a native English speaking one;-)

But I edited my core-hack post to contain the note (thats for pointing out):

camos
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by camos » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:49 pm

[quote="de "]
The included menu.html is just a very simple patTemplate sample which should make it render similar to the menu style "Tree List" (btw. it uses the CLASS_SUFFIX... but does not set it)... alone it does make a lot of sense... and I may very well drop it since I am now having a other sample menu templates (even though more complex) and a separate page.[/quote]
I used sets up in the sense of setting up a template to use the CLASS_SUFFIX which is indeed set in the parameters of the menu.  A somewhat subtle difference perhaps but ... :)

[quote="de "]
Ok, cool... the "bad" stuff is though... that the "smart" current/active item highlighting will not work (unless you use a SEF that sets the server variable REQUEST_URI)... will have to see whether I am able add IIS support. (But since I switched to Linux I will probably not find an easy way to install the IIS;-)[/quote]
The current/active highlighting is working with a CSStree menu running on my IIS dev server.  I have not been able to get any SEF working on the servert though.  I added this to the template a long time ago and cannot remember why it was needed.
[code]<?php //Gayles solution to request_uri in IIS
if(!isset($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'])) {
$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] = substr($_SERVER['argv'][0], strpos($_SERVER['argv'][0], ';') + 1);
}
?>
Perhaps it corrects what you are referring to.

[quote="de "]
! replaced loadRowList call which was made incompatible in Joomla 1.0.6/1.0.7[/code]
... it is the last entry (uhh is that English actually? Well, I have the excuse of not being a native English speaking one;-)

But I edited my core-hack post to contain the note (thats for pointing out):
[/quote]
Looks like English to me. :D
I think your English is exceptional, it is rare that you slip up to the extent it is noticeable that it may not be your native language.
Since the changelog is not installed it is inconvenient to have a second look at it.  I find having a changelog to remind me of which version a module or component is can be a helpful as it is not necessary to go into the backend to check the version.  These days space is not such a premium that it overrides convenience.

Cheers
Freedom is not free!

maddunr
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by maddunr » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:34 pm

de,

thanks for your help. i have been following this forum and have read several pieces of advice without having to ask again. however, i don't seem to understand the "container" that you're talking about. i don't see this mentioned in the htmldog or alistapart articles either. i have downloaded the son-of-suckerfish-horizontal menu from your website. you can see what i am talking about here. i am trying to make a horizontal menu with text and icons with rollover effect.

so, here are brief list of questions i have:

1. my menu items / icons behave erratically. sometimes, they appear full, sometimes they are cut off. the source code doesn't reveal any inconsistencies.

2. another erratic behaviour - sometimes they are stacked above each other, sometimes they are not. the menu is supposed to be a horizontal menu.

3. the icons are links in FF, but not in IE. the same goes for rollover behaviour. in IE, icon rolls over only when the mouse is on the text part.

4. i have set active menu parameters (for example #menulink_1_active-son-of-suckerfish-horizontal) to be the same as :hover, but it doesn't seem to be working.

any ideas will be greatly appreciated,

thanks,
-V

rmedek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rmedek » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:52 am

Looks like this is the only thread out here concerning the extended menu... hope I'm not hijacking.

My goal is to have the "Menu (auto expand sections/categories)" expand to categories, not items. In other words, a menu that contains:

Section
Section
Section

and when a link is clicked on, the menu contains

Section
    Category
    Category
    Category
Section
Section

Nothing I do, via this plugin (v. 1.0) or the standard Joomla menu, seems to do this...if this is built in functionality I would love some guidance.

Concerning empty elements, it's perfectly okay to leave them blank (although maybe not super clean). Both and elements are empty tags used for presentation, as opposed to tags like or , which are used for markup. Tidy might give you a warning, but it's valid html.

mosey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mosey » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:53 am

From what I understood the user/admin is in control of the menu items so I would imagine it's possible to have the top level to be eg. blog section, and then sub-level -blog category. Extended Menu displays the menu as is created by the admin... hope I haven't got this all mixed up :)
Joomla site in development...
Meanwhile Zetahelp.net continues...

(Unavailable end of Sept/start of Oct)

Dom.S
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dom.S » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:48 am

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for what looks like a very useful module. :) I'm trying to use it to navigate through content items in a category. I have managed to get this working nearly perfectly, but would like to order the content items alphabetically by their title. I have tried setting various options in the 'order' field but none have made a difference (it is always ordered by ID, newest first) and from the description of the setting I get the feeling I'm looking in the wrong place anyway. Could anyone shed any light on this? If I was using it as a 'normal' menu then I'd just use menu ordering but obviously since it's just content I'm a bit stuck.

Cheers,
Dom

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:37 pm

camos wrote: The current/active highlighting is working with a CSStree menu running on my IIS dev server.  I have not been able to get any SEF working on the servert though.  I added this to the template a long time ago and cannot remember why it was needed.

<?php //Gayles solution to request_uri in IIS
if(!isset($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'])) {
$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] = substr($_SERVER['argv'][0], strpos($_SERVER['argv'][0], ';') + 1);
}
?>
Perhaps it corrects what you are referring to.
Yes. the current/active item highlighting is working... but not the new exciting fabulous (...) "smart" highlighting. Ok, it is not a very big issue. The "smart" highlighting just helps when the Itemid is not correct or when you are having multiple menu items in different menus pointing to the same item.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:51 pm

rmedek wrote: Looks like this is the only thread out here concerning the extended menu... hope I'm not hijacking.
No hijacking here... it is THE thread about the menu module itself... it just got quite long by now.
rmedek wrote: My goal is to have the "Menu (auto expand sections/categories)" expand to categories, not items. In other words, a menu that contains:

Nothing I do, via this plugin (v. 1.0) or the standard Joomla menu, seems to do this...if this is built in functionality I would love some guidance.
Hmm but the "Show ..." module parameters should work... so you could just set "Show Content Items" to "Hide"... and set "Show Categories" to the kind of link you want to have (e.g. "Table ...").

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:56 pm

Dom.S wrote: Firstly, thanks for what looks like a very useful module. :) I'm trying to use it to navigate through content items in a category. I have managed to get this working nearly perfectly, but would like to order the content items alphabetically by their title. I have tried setting various options in the 'order' field but none have made a difference (it is always ordered by ID, newest first) and from the description of the setting I get the feeling I'm looking in the wrong place anyway. Could anyone shed any light on this? If I was using it as a 'normal' menu then I'd just use menu ordering but obviously since it's just content I'm a bit stuck.
Someone send me a bug report with it (including the fix)... so the ordering seem not to work for categories and content items (but for sections it should probably do work)... will integrate the fix as soon as possible... and it will be fixed with the next release.

rmedek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rmedek » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:35 pm

de wrote: Hmm but the "Show ..." module parameters should work... so you could just set "Show Content Items" to "Hide"... and set "Show Categories" to the kind of link you want to have (e.g. "Table ...").
Thanks for the guidance de; however, I tried that earlier and in that case the links will just not expand. I think the problem is in my interpretation of how Joomla's menu system works; i.e., I prefer for the menu to be somewhat independent of the content shown.

In my example, I've managed to get the actual content to be how I would like it—clicking on a Section link will display, in the main text, all items titled by category. But the menu is (seems to be) tied to that content.

In Perfect Land (for this site at least), after clicking on a link in the menu the resulting main text would be:

Category 1
    item one
    item two

Category 2
    item one

Category 3
    item one
    item two
    item three
    item four

and the menu would reflect:

Section
    Category 1
    Category 2
    Category 3
Section
Section

instead of

Section
    item one (Category 1)
    item two (Category 1)
    item one (Category 2)
    item one (Category 3)
    item two (Category 3)
    item three (Category 3)
    item four (Category 3)
Section
Section

So, again, I may just be misinterpreting how a menu system can be made to work in Joomla, although I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar setup in other templates.

de
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by de » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:41 pm

maddunr wrote: thanks for your help. i have been following this forum and have read several pieces of advice without having to ask again. however, i don't seem to understand the "container" that you're talking about. i don't see this mentioned in the htmldog or alistapart articles either.
It is true the "container" is not mentioned in the articles... it is not something you always have to care about... in the sample shown in the articles the container is a div (if any) that is itself contained in the body. But within Joomla the HTML for the menu does not always appear right at the top of the page but may be within a table within ... - depending on site template (and other things)...
So if the "container" is too small it is like having a too small window (the menu will not work as intended anymore).
maddunr wrote: 1. my menu items / icons behave erratically. sometimes, they appear full, sometimes they are cut off. the source code doesn't reveal any inconsistencies.
Not sure which items appear cut of... but if maybe the width of the element is not wide enough?
maddunr wrote: 2. another erratic behaviour - sometimes they are stacked above each other, sometimes they are not. the menu is supposed to be a horizontal menu.
I just had a quick look and saw that you used "width: auto;" for the li elements... this could maybe cause the problem... you could also set a "fixed" width... for example "10em".
maddunr wrote: 3. the icons are links in FF, but not in IE. the same goes for rollover behaviour. in IE, icon rolls over only when the mouse is on the text part.
I have not really looked at implementation on your site... the module parameter "Menu Links" defines whether the the image is within the link... but maybe you used background images for the anchors... the later would work better. The IE handles the :hover fine on anchors (having a non empty href) - the JavaScript changes styles to make a hover effect work on a li element as well... but it requires to use the class name (now called "hover").
I think my JavaScript only applies the class to li elements but could easily be changed to apply it to other elements if necessary.
But just looked at your CSS... maybe you have to use "a#menulink_1-son-of-suckerfish-horizontal:hover" - the IE is really ... sometimes.
maddunr wrote: 4. i have set active menu parameters (for example #menulink_1_active-son-of-suckerfish-horizontal) to be the same as :hover, but it doesn't seem to be working.
The current/active is applied to the class (mainlevel/sublevel) only... which are present at the same time... so one of the following should work:

a.mainlevel_current#menulink_1-son-of-suckerfish-horizontal { }
#menuitem_1-son-of-suckerfish-horizontal  a.mainlevel_current { }
I hope that helps.

Return to “Open Source Products for Joomla!”