Page 1 of 1

Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:00 pm
by msafi
Hi,

Can I use Joomla to sell digital content, MP3 files to be exact?

If so, what do I need to download in terms of packages, extensions, etc?

I've looked at other solutions such as Comersus.com and Shop-Script.com, but I'm blown away by the popularity of this product, which I only came across by utter coincidence when I was researching solutions to install Zend Optimizer.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:23 pm
by nathandiehl
yes you can, assuming you aren't breaking copyright laws, of course. :)

you can check out the extensions site here: http://extensions.joomla.org

i am moving this topic to Extensions.

Good luck!

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:59 am
by LarsLB
I'm in the same boat. my site needs a shop so I can sell my original productions. .. I've just downloaded Virtuemart, installed it and am playing around with it .. seems like a really good solution ..

its in the extensions ..

peace, lb.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:31 pm
by nuwud
Hi LarsB,

I wanted to know if you ever got buying and downloading mp3s working with Virtuemart.

I am using Joomla 1.5.10 and VM 1.1.3, but some of it is just elluding me when it comes to how to make the downloads work. If you got it to work, can you show us how, please?

Thanks,
nuwud

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:26 am
by subsonik
Yeah I'm having the same troubles - the download links seem to appear at the bottom of pricelists, but that's not what I want at all?!

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:39 am
by elgrande
This solution is very nice...
http://musichearts.org/
It has features you also know from iTunes or other online music shops...

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:22 am
by modernmagic
does anyone have a working mp3 download and paypal integrated joomla site working?

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:58 am
by digiweb
I have built a pay per view media solution using community builder and community builder's cbsubs. You can see the working prototype at bogartcomputing.com/swartwoodprep. It's safe to give it a try out as I have the only working product at the moment set to $0.01. I'll be happy to refund your penny :-) if you want to see how it works. cbsubs is complex but much less so than some of the other "membership" site solutions. You also must ask yourself whether your are selling "views" and "listens" or mp3 downloads which can be played infinitely after their purchase.

this is not a j1.0 answer but I stumbled on the thread looking for something else.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 pm
by modernmagic
I plan to sell mp3 downloads.
I also want to be able to sell a CD with the same mp3 as an option for people that do not have a mp3 player.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:08 am
by digiweb
hi modernmagic - this can be pretty easily setup using docman seller.

My system using community builder and cbsubs works too but I don't think you need to invest in cbsubs for your model. Mine is more pay per view than per per download.

There are actually a ton of good extensions, I would search "mp3 paypal" using Google: site:extensions.joomla.org

hth

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:01 am
by modernmagic
I haven't found a solution that can do ALL of the following:
1. sell downloadable mp3s
2. play a mp3 sample of the file on the same page, preferable with a play button right next to the buy button
3. option to buy the same mp3 on a CD and have it mailed to customer

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:31 am
by digiweb
Potentially a quick and dirtier method than ideal but would get the job done with minimal tools.

1. create the mp3
2. create the mp3 sample
3. setup an ecommerce application that allows you to sell downloads (docman seller, zen cart (off joomla))
4. put the sample in the product details
5. put the real mp3 in the download category

Usually playing a sample will involve a plugin e.g. {mp3}path to sample{/mp3} and the real mp3 will require a protected folder directory.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:10 pm
by smallbizguru
I use Payloadz to sell downloads on my Joomla based site. If you wish to sell music files, it is a very simple solution to use and will allow users to download the file after making payment. You can even set up sample files that users can listen to before purchasing the complete product.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:57 pm
by modernmagic
smallbizguru wrote:I use Payloadz to sell downloads on my Joomla based site. If you wish to sell music files, it is a very simple solution to use and will allow users to download the file after making payment. You can even set up sample files that users can listen to before purchasing the complete product.
I assume this was a trolling reply about payloadz. But the reason I can not use payloadz is because the 2400+ files I have would require a $25/month fee and limit me to $600/month in transactions. I prefer a free/month and a percentage of sales because we have no idea if this business will be successful.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:06 am
by smallbizguru
I think the $600 limit applies only to the situation when you start making more revenue than that. If you are not making any revenue from your files than you just keep paying $25 month (for 50 GB storage) and pay nothing extra.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:03 pm
by modernmagic
smallbizguru wrote:I think the $600 limit applies only to the situation when you start making more revenue than that. If you are not making any revenue from your files than you just keep paying $25 month (for 50 GB storage) and pay nothing extra.
ah dah

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:02 pm
by ravi_mareedu
you can sell images, zip files, swf files, videso using PicSell

Full details:
http://vm.xmlswf.com/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=122

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:15 pm
by modernmagic
ravi_mareedu wrote:you can sell images, zip files, swf files, videso using PicSell

Full details:
http://vm.xmlswf.com/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=122
I need to sell MP3s and be able to play samples. Picsell is not an option.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:54 am
by resonanz
Hi - I spent ages figuring this same stuff out but here is what worked for me:

1. Install Virtuemart to use as the cart/e-commerce solution (free)
2. Sign up with PayPal or Google Checkout or whatever to receive payments from customers
3. Use the AllVideos plugin to put sample MP3s in your product description for each Album

Here are the steps I used:

1. Install Virtuemart - go to 'Admin' - 'Configuration' - 'Downloads' and enable downloads and set the download folder
2. Upload all of your MP3 albums zipped to the downloads folder
3. Create a product in Virtuemart for an album and fill out all the descriptions, images etc. In the product description section you can use the AllVideos plugin to paste some simple code to get a MP3 sample with a player on your Album page.
4. Still filling out the details for your album product - go to the 'Product Status' tab and here you can create 2 properties to sell that album as either a Download Only or as Download Plus CD. You can configure the extra price to sell the mailed CD for here too.

This worked for me - but it relies on the fact that you are selling the MP3s as a base and then the option of adding a CD as an added extra.

Hope this helps you for what you need - but the problem I have is that I just want to list my Album and then have "Buy CD - $30" Add to Cart Button and then "Buy MP3 - $20" Add to Cart Button. Can anyone shed some light on implementing this feature?

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:28 pm
by modernmagic
I will try this. Thanks.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:20 am
by resonanz
Sorry I forgot to breakdown how to add the MP3 file to your album product in virtuemart.

Under your product list in virtuemart - you will see a column called media - click on the relevant products media - it will bring up a window and you click the "New" button. Here you can pick the MP3 file from the drop-down list "Filename" - it shows all the MP3 albums you already uploaded to your downloads directory. if your upoaded MP3 albums don't show up in this dropdown then it means you are pointing to the wrong directory in the Configure Downloads section.

Then specify that the file is "Downloadable Product File" under file tab, and click save.

That's it - honestly it is the best solution I can find for this and I have searched everywhere for it.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:43 am
by modernmagic
I'm stoked! Can't wait to try it.
Can you post a link to a sample page of yours?

I will try and post a link to my working page when its finished.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:46 am
by baldur2630
I found an excellent extension called MyMuse. It's still a RC but the developer is really helpful

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:11 am
by resonanz
Wow! This looks awesome! I can't wait to test. Will leave updates on it and definitely donate if it works. Looks like it is even styled like CDBaby too.

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:04 am
by baldur2630
You can see it working (but I'm not selling anything yet, this will be on another site), this is just a development site on my own server http://hktmusic.corp.networkingtechnology.org

Re: Use Joomla to sell MP3 files

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:51 pm
by Golamar
resonanz wrote:Hi - I spent ages figuring this same stuff out but here is what worked for me:

1. Install Virtuemart to use as the cart/e-commerce solution (free)
2. Sign up with PayPal or Google Checkout or whatever to receive payments from customers
3. Use the AllVideos plugin to put sample MP3s in your product description for each Album

Here are the steps I used:

1. Install Virtuemart - go to 'Admin' - 'Configuration' - 'Downloads' and enable downloads and set the download folder
2. Upload all of your MP3 albums zipped to the downloads folder
3. Create a product in Virtuemart for an album and fill out all the descriptions, images etc. In the product description section you can use the AllVideos plugin to paste some simple code to get a MP3 sample with a player on your Album page.
4. Still filling out the details for your album product - go to the 'Product Status' tab and here you can create 2 properties to sell that album as either a Download Only or as Download Plus CD. You can configure the extra price to sell the mailed CD for here too.

This worked for me - but it relies on the fact that you are selling the MP3s as a base and then the option of adding a CD as an added extra.

Hope this helps you for what you need - but the problem I have is that I just want to list my Album and then have "Buy CD - $30" Add to Cart Button and then "Buy MP3 - $20" Add to Cart Button. Can anyone shed some light on implementing this feature?
I'll definitely try to fix your problem. Actually I've to study for this but hope I'll get back it to you :-)