Gantry: Adding custom JQuery menu into Gantry

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
paulbuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Gantry: Adding custom JQuery menu into Gantry

Post by paulbuk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi,
If one was to add a custom jQuery horizontal menu into Gantry (appreciating that it has to go into a custom HTML module and published with Joomla), what would be a good secure path to put the assets into?

ie:

/var/home/www/js-assets/template-name/

I'm having trouble getting my module to read the images and not too sure the path Joomla modules take.
Trial and error ok, but I've spent way too long on this and Google brings up nothing relevant.

Thanx
;)

PB

corradomatt
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Gantry: Adding custom JQuery menu into Gantry

Post by corradomatt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 am

That is a good question and 1 that I was just looking into....

Are you trying to use a custom jquery menu for the normal joomla navigation? I'm not sure what you mean by using a custom html module? Are you planning on creating a separate menu independent of the standard Joomla menu structure?

I am going to study the gantry standards tonight and see if I can figure it out. I will post here if I come up with something.
CorradoMatt

paulbuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulbuk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:12 am

Thanx, no, I simply wanted to put an average drop down menu set in a frontpage as opposed to static html links.
After creating a custom Joomla module and then putting the (http://apycom.com/menus/14-fire-brick.html) into the modules html, it doesn't show correctly
It's probably a CSS path issue, but some quick advice on the general path for such integration would be very helpful.

So, where does one put the CSS package in Joomla relating to Gantry assets?

(for now, see Download eStore, Auction links which I want to replace with a Jquery menu set): www.ilovesynths.com

All I seem to do is spend 'hours' chasing my tail looking for simple resolves. Sometimes peeps want to cut to the quick and get things fixed today, not 8 weeks later (sure you'd agree).

Gantry is nice and, but help for novices/beginners is lacking. Sometimes a 'hammer to crack a nut'.
That said, it's last Nov since I posted this Q and with current PHP5/LAMP study, I'll probably work it out over the next few months!! that said I'll be pro at PHP/LAMP by then and probably just design my own front-end UI ... tehe. or move over to Drupal. (-;

I run on a home Linux dev-box using the Linux LAMP stack (so no WAMP or an WinBox of Mac).
Well thats' another 10 mins lost, typing!
(-:

Paul B

trumping
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by trumping » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:17 pm

Are you trying to use a custom jquery menu for the normal joomla navigation? I'm not sure what you mean by using a custom html module? Are you planning on creating a separate menu independent of the standard Joomla menu structure?

paulbuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulbuk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:40 pm

No, for now I simply want to put a drop-down menu on the frontpage namely as per:

http://apycom.com/menus/14-fire-brick.html

I have it half working on my home devbox (linux not wamp), but the CSS assets simply don't show up. I'm confused as to where/what the correct path/s should be for incorporating such menu within the joomla back-end fromework. ie if I put it in a dir, called 'assets' what is the path for Gantry to read it in?What I currenlty did was:

1) create a custom HTMl module in Joomla back-end
2) tell that module to show in say "header B" in relation to Gantry.
3) expect it to show on the UI front-end.

I'm sure this is really easy and I'm missing a slight issue here.
Sorry, but I'm 're-skilling' and probably will suss this out, but at the mo my head is in other LAMP tecnologies so it may take weeks as there is so much to learn, sure you agree!

Thanx for any assistance.
PB

corradomatt
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by corradomatt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:45 pm

Ok, I'm a little confused.....Do you want to....

A. Put some custom html of your unordered list data as well as the javascript to call the menu into the custom html module?

or

B. Put the custom javascript into your custom html module that will render the joomla menu you choose?
CorradoMatt

paulbuk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulbuk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 am

Answer B
Simpy put one of the http://apycom.com/menus/14-fire-brick.html menus on the front page of my site, www.ilovesynths.com

The issue appears to stem from just where one puts the CSS assets within the Joomla framework, as I stated in the previous reply posting.
I'm fine with hand-coding html.

I must say, in your profile pic, you look like a bit of muso! (being one myself).
(:

Keep well.
PB

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”