Show/Hide Category/Section Descriptions in Template

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
tamaragwen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Show/Hide Category/Section Descriptions in Template

Post by tamaragwen » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:41 am

Hello,

I made one site with the milky way template. I put descriptions in the sections and categories, and when I create a menu item link to a category list layout or a section list layout, the section/category description is displayed.

For another website, I'm using a different template. The category/section description text is not displayed.

Where/how do I go about setting it up so the category/section descriptions are displayed?

I've been searching around, and it seems like maybe 1.0 had a show/hide field for this, but I can't seem to find this in 1.5.

Thank you,
--gwen

thecutecat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Show/Hide Category/Section Descriptions in Template

Post by thecutecat » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:31 am

I got the same problem. can anybody help Us??

Alextampa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Alextampa » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:04 pm

In your menu parameters

thecutecat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thecutecat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:22 am

On "Parameters (Basic)" I see "Description Hide/Show"... But it make no change even if I had set it to "show".

I use "Category Blog Layout" as "Menu Item Type".

I start thingking that mod_mainmenu didn't fetch data of category/section description... :pop

Alextampa
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Alextampa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:08 pm

More than likely you are doing something wrong.

cbdh19
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cbdh19 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:30 pm

I am having the same problem as tamarawgen. I have created a section blog layout and have written a description for the section. In menu item [edit], I've set both the "description" and "description image" parameters to "show". I've also put two articles into the section (both set to Article Layout). The section description simply will not show above the articles in this section on the main section blog page.

I've got three other sections with articles in them on the site that I'm now developing; I have set the "description" and "description image" parameters to "show" and the description and images ARE showing on these section blog front pages.

Just as frustrating -- and related -- I have another article (in Article Layout format) in a different section that keeps showing the Section Name above it, no matter what I do. The section name continues to show above this article (and not above any other articles in the section), even though I have "section name" set to "hide" in the global article parameters.

The section name also continues to show above this particular article even when I go into the article parameters and select "hide" next to the section name option in the individual article settings.

It's these kinds of things, that continually seem to be happening, and that are huge time suckers, which are really beginning to sour this Joomla beginner on Joomla.

It seems to have a lot of bugs, or at least the Joomla 1.5.6v that my Fatcow.com host is running seems to have a lot of quirks (which I'd known more about different joomla versions, what version Fatcow was running, etc. before I signed up. Maybe 1.5.13v, which I'm running on my computer, is a lot better, i don't know -- but I'm working directly on my joomla/fatcow pages because I felt it was too confusing for this beginner to figure out how to upload a locally-made/hosted joomla site to a web host server)

Any tips, ideas on the above section description, section name issues would be greatly appreciated.

lifelovebeauty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lifelovebeauty » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Wow, at least it isn't just me. I just noticed that all my category descriptions are also not showing, and they are set to show. I am pretty sure they were showing before. I'm definitely looking forward to any help here too. Thanks!
Kate
Life Love Beauty
http://www.lifelovebeauty.com

Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/lifel0vebeauty

rintuttle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rintuttle » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:26 pm

I also need help on this- I need a table of contents style layout...I have categories show set to yes...what am i doing wrong?

I have a "Section" Menu item which I need to display:

Category Name #1
Article 1
Article 2
Article 3

Category Name #2
Article 1
Article 2
Article 3

Currently, it just displays all articles with no category headings.
[Erin...]

rintuttle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rintuttle » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 pm

I'll keep checking back for a reply to this. I have a feeling the answer is simple, and I'm thinking too high-level and missing it completely...but it's a very important answer I need URGENTLY or my client might say bye-bye to Joomla forever! :(
[Erin...]

brustar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by brustar » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:13 pm

thecutecat wrote:On "Parameters (Basic)" I see "Description Hide/Show"... But it make no change even if I had set it to "show".

I use "Category Blog Layout" as "Menu Item Type".

I start thingking that mod_mainmenu didn't fetch data of category/section description... :pop
You need to choose "Section Blog Layout" if you want to show a decription of a section.

evaningram
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by evaningram » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:52 pm

im having the same problem

set to category blog layout. selected my category to display. and selected hide Category Title in the menu link parameters. but the category is still being displayed above the blog layout.

???

Julian22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Julian22 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Hmmm. me thinks there is something very fishy going on. I have the category title, but I don't want it. I've set it to hide and yet it's still there. ???? Any ideas please people? I was thinking there might be two places to turn it off? Currently I have it set to 'hide' in the parameters for the menu item that defines the category blog layout. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Julian22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Julian22 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:14 pm

Julian22 wrote:Hmmm. me thinks there is something very fishy going on. I have the category title, but I don't want it. I've set it to hide and yet it's still there. ???? Any ideas please people? I was thinking there might be two places to turn it off? Currently I have it set to 'hide' in the parameters for the menu item that defines the category blog layout. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Silly me this is the same problem as the above post from evaningram! How did I miss that? :-[

vickipayne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vickipayne » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:30 pm

I think what is showing is your Menu title. Go to the menu item, under the Parameters(System) tab click Show Title - No. Please let us know if that fixed it....

Julian22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Julian22 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 pm

vickipayne wrote:I think what is showing is your Menu title. Go to the menu item, under the Parameters(System) tab click Show Title - No. Please let us know if that fixed it....
So many thanks Vicki! That did the trick! Funny thing is I was so sure I'd tried that already, but just to be sure I did exactly as you said and it solved my problem! THANK YOU! :D

vickipayne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vickipayne » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:21 am

Oh, good - I had run into the same issue earlier in the day and I know how confusing those title parameters can be. What always helps me is to view the page source, then I know if I'm dealing with a "contentheading" or "componentheading". Take care!

Julian22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Julian22 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:34 am

vickipayne wrote:Oh, good - I had run into the same issue earlier in the day and I know how confusing those title parameters can be. What always helps me is to view the page source, then I know if I'm dealing with a "contentheading" or "componentheading". Take care!
Great tip. I'll make sure to bear that in mind next time. Thank you again! ;)

Julian22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Julian22 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi, I have another quick question that's really bugging me - I doubt it deserves to go on another thread because it's very similar - however slightly different.

I have an article that is only available to registered users, so when you click to access the article you get the "To access the private area of this site, please log in."

Below this the mod_login appears. The word 'login' appears twice on the page as you can see here:

http://www.goalsuk.co.uk/index.php?opti ... Rlcy5odG1s

And looking at the code as Vicki suggested reveals that the world 'Login' is indeed the page title and is displaying twice.

Code: Select all

<h1 class="pagetitle">Login</h1>
<div class="joomla ">
<div class="user">
<h1 class="pagetitle">Login</h1>
I have no idea how to turn this off, and would really appreciate some kind person's expertise. I tried looking at the login module, but there was nothing about 'page title' to be found there - and also I disabled the page title on the article that is restricted - however this does work for the article, but does not effect the login page you land on before you get to the article after you've logged in.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

vickipayne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vickipayne » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi, Julian - I can't figure out what's causing your double Login title, but I can think of a couple of things to try:
1. Have you set Show Page Title to No in your Register/Login menu link at the top? If you have and it didn't help, I would try creating another User > Default Login Layout menu item (it can be in an unpublished menu), then set Show the Page Title to No. Hopefully the other login pages will pick up that parameter.
2. If that doesn't work, you can set Show Article Title to No in the Article Parameters. This is the global setting, so it will turn off all your article titles unless you set Show Page Title to yes in all the other menu items.
3. Or you could try adding a suffix to your login module (like -login) then add this css to your template:

.moduletable-login .pagetitle { display:none; }
or
.moduletable-login .pagetitle h1 { display:none; }
That would lose you both of your "Login" titles but you could add one back as pretext, with h1 brackets surrounding to pick up the styling.

If adding the suffix doesn't work, you could try

div.joomla .user .pagetitle h1 { display:none; }
- or play around with it to see if you can get that pesky title hidden. :p

It looks like you have some 3rd party content and/or login extensions on your site, since your div class is "pagetitle" (all of mine for titles on Login pages are "componentheading"), but maybe one of these methods will work. Good luck!

As a side note, I tried to look at your Register page and am getting 404 not found, so you'll want to look into that. Looks like it's going to an SEF url, though I don't see them being used elsewhere.

M_Jacks
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by M_Jacks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks Vicki! That did the trick.

Julian22
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Julian22 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:19 pm

A million thanks Vicki! You did it again! the display:none css tick did it - and not only that, but I used the same technique to actually get rid of the login module that displayed on the page too, which is brilliant because I'm using the ijoobi jcommunity software and it uses a different login module, so I really wanted the page to display the jcom module and not the standard login module. display:none got rid of the standard login module for me, and I was able to edit the public_html/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_user.ini file and create a hyper link to an article that uses

{loadposition jcomloginmod}
for my login module and this works well for what I need. Thanks again.

vickipayne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vickipayne » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Great - I'm glad the css worked for ya.

eddie_uiwe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eddie_uiwe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:04 am

A late contribution, but I came across the same issue (section issues not showing) today with 1.5.16.

Cause was I had two menu items linking to the same section. One had show & one had hide description. Even tho the one I was clicking had the Show description set to true, it was only when I made both = show that it would show the description.

Odd!
Eddie,
Leicestershire open source web developer using Joomla, Magento & Alfresco.
http://www.freshwebservices.com

tvds
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tvds » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:03 pm

So, what about the category descriptions problem ?

I also have this problem, cannot find a way to solve this.
To boldly go........ where no man has gone before http://www.vandersluijs.nl

sixeyeco
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sixeyeco » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:15 pm

For users of 1.6 you have to set the "article options" of the menu item to "show category -no"

katandmouse
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by katandmouse » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Same problem here. Category description no show.

mardulia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mardulia » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Me too! I got the same problem and came to the forum to see if there was a solution. I get the feeling that I've just missed something obvious. I've got a menu item which is set to a category blog- and a description for the category. The menu item is set to show the the description, which is an image in this case, but it doesn't show.

Any insights would be appreciated.

trylobyte
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by trylobyte » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 am

Hi all,

I also have a problem to show the category titles through a Section Blog Layout item menu.

In menu item options, Category title is set to show and in the article manager parameters category title is also set to show but in the frontend all the articles titles displays in the same list, without category titles.

No change if I set to show or hide the title page in menu system option.

I need to show all the articles in a section classified by categories.

Anyone have a clue?

Joomla 1.5.22
rt_tachyon_j15 template
JCE 1.5.7.6

Thanks.

seanetal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by seanetal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:36 am

I found a serious issue here. I am seeing different results for the same page if using the SEF url or using the regular url:

http://mental-health-matters.com/index. ... &Itemid=27

http://mental-health-matters.com/disorders

These are the same page and I want the SEF url to show the content the same way that the regular url is. Please help me figure this out, I think it is a bug since I'm seeing many other users stating the same problem. Problem is that the responses are all "you're doing it wrong" instead of some real help. As you can see by the first url I posted I have the settings correct but it's still broken for the url I want to display.

Another example for you to show what I'm talking about.

Good display, bad url:
http://mental-health-matters.com/index. ... &Itemid=37

Bad display, good url:
http://mental-health-matters.com/topics

kcpirbhai
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kcpirbhai » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 pm

I had this same problem. It has taken me hours and hours to figure it out. I inherited a Joomla site that was a bit of a mess with a large number of unused menus. It WAS a second menu that wasn't even displayed anywhere on the website which was causing the problem. Two different menus had links to the same Category with Blog Layout. Once I got rid of the old menus, the right one took over and everything is displaying correctly.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”