Speed Up Loading Time?

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
joope
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Speed Up Loading Time?

Post by joope » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi,

Are there does anyone know of a way that I can speed up my website's loading time?

Thanks for the help!

joomla 1.5.7
virtuemart new release

Joyce Mar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Speed Up Loading Time?

Post by Joyce Mar » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Do you have a link to your website?

Usually the major culprit in slowing down a site is the template, followed by the other content you have.

joope
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joope » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:02 pm

The site name is www.peunandeve.com

Joyce Mar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Joyce Mar » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:57 am

As an indicator, I just had a look at how large your home page is:
Documents (1 file) 4 KB (59 KB uncompressed)
Images (59 files) 325 KB
Scripts (12 files) 847 KB (871 KB uncompressed)
Style Sheets (12 files) 157 KB (162 KB uncompressed)
Total 1333 KB (1417 KB uncompressed)
1.3 MB for the home page is huge, so it's not surprising that your website is loading slow. As a comparison, most of the websites that load relatively fast are within 200-300KB.

Your best bet in reducing the file size of your site is to compress images better (just a selection of the largest):
and scripts. There's one main script that is huge:

joope
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joope » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:42 pm

Compress my homepage?

What is it that I would need to use to make this happen?

Thanks

Joyce Mar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Joyce Mar » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:59 am

As I said, reduce the size of your images. Use an image editor to lower the file size as much as you can without reducing the quality.

Your biggest problem is still that script. Some part of Virtuemart (probably the theme) is calling it. Find out where it is and why it is that big. Then get rid of it. That 660KB is adding a lot of loading time.

As an example, a VM site I am working on at the moment is a total of only 225KB (images, scripts, etc) on most shop pages.

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:04 pm

Try setting the gzip on in your Joomla site. This can be done via Global Config. Got to Site => Global Configuration => Server and go down to the parameter Gzip page compression and set it to yes. This will compress your page somewhat.

I run a church website for a client, and it hosts a lot of pictures and mp3s. Hardly any of the pictures are compressed, but I still get my site to load in under 1 second. I am not disagreeing with Joyce Mar, but images are not the biggest factor. The biggest factor is script files, including javascript. Your website is currently using 12 javascript files. If you do not need to use javascript, I would suggest disabling it altogether, it will dramatically increase your site speed.

Your site also made 133 HTTP requests when I loaded the page. That is a lot. Now, obviously, if you have a shopping catalog on your site, you will have quite a few pictures. Instead of spending tons of time compressing images, spend your time getting rid of them. Try to see where you can reuse pictures. The more pictures you reuse, the faster the browser can display them. I could see many places on your site where pictures were not needed. They looked nice, but consider downsizing on the number of pics you use.

Finally, compress your images. The smaller the picture the better. This does not account for much, but will help.

TIP* I checked all of your site statistics using Joomla Performance. I would suggest using that site to speed up your site.

Happy Jooming!

Joyce Mar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Joyce Mar » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:04 am

SpacePyrit wrote:I am not disagreeing with Joyce Mar, but images are not the biggest factor. The biggest factor is script files, including javascript.
When did I say that the images were the biggest factor? They are a factor, but I've noted the major problem more than once now:
Joyce Mar wrote:and scripts. There's one main script that is huge:
Joyce Mar wrote:Your biggest problem is still that script. Some part of Virtuemart (probably the theme) is calling it. Find out where it is and why it is that big. Then get rid of it. That 660KB is adding a lot of loading time.
I appreciate any extra insights suggestions I give as I am still learning with Joomla. There are many solutions to each issue and the only way for everyone to learn is to share ideas.

However, I do take offense when only part of a post is read before being mis-quoted. Please have the courtesy to at least read the entire post first. Cheers.

joope
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joope » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks for the help.....I am going to go back to the drawing board...and put some of your ideas to work..

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”