insert FLash (SWF) Movie

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
reelcompanies
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

insert FLash (SWF) Movie

Post by reelcompanies » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:47 am

Hello,
I am very new to joomla. It has been about 1 week and I cannot seem to overcome this obstacle.
I want to insert a Flash swf that is 650x350 into the center - body -container.

How do i do it? The file is uploade into the server. Typically in the past I have been using the embed and object tag(s) to have the movie load and display. It has been in the lines of code that you point to the movie file using an absolute path.

Please, any input is appreciated. I guees I am not grasping the flow of this CMS just yet.

Thank YOU. :( :(

timdavies
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: insert FLash (SWF) Movie

Post by timdavies » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:38 pm

i would use SWFObject 2.0 found here http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki ... umentation

i would use the dynamic publishing method described half way down the page in above link. It uses java to display the flash inside a given html div.

hope that helps!

toonevdb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by toonevdb » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 pm

If you tried to edit the html manualy, you'll notice that the standard Joomla editor changes object tags.
I tried to insert xhtml valid tags but they kept changing because of the editor and so I ended up using the simple button provided by Joomla's editor (tinymce). It's the movie icon next to the smiley. It asks you to point to your swf file and providing an absolute path should work.

If you're having trouble positioning the flash movie, try putting it in a div and apply some styles to it.

Cheers ;)

mcbade
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mcbade » Thu May 01, 2008 4:18 pm

timdavies wrote:i would use SWFObject 2.0 found here http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki ... umentation

i would use the dynamic publishing method described half way down the page in above link. It uses java to display the flash inside a given html div.

hope that helps!
I have been trying to use this object but it seems that it's breaking the page for MSIE users... Using whatever the latest MSIE is..

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

-John
"Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who - this is a happy occasion!"

-Monty Python "In Search of the Holy Grail"

timdavies
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by timdavies » Thu May 01, 2008 4:44 pm

can you show us where its going wrong, i have put flash in loads of joomla sites with no problems

mcbade
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mcbade » Sat May 03, 2008 2:49 pm

timdavies wrote:can you show us where its going wrong, i have put flash in loads of joomla sites with no problems
It now seems to be limited to this one flash embed instance.

Currently, you can load up your MSIE v7 and this link: http://www.mcbade.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=15

And it should fail for you.

I have tested now some other Joomla 1.5.x installs and SWFObject 1.5 and they seem to work.

Maybe another "set of eyes" is all I need here. I'm so far stumped.

Thanks,

-John
"Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who - this is a happy occasion!"

-Monty Python "In Search of the Holy Grail"

timdavies
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by timdavies » Wed May 07, 2008 10:50 am

Hi

Had a look at your site, crash in IE7, even on the home page, FF2 was okay though.

I would put the problems down to the image gallery and something its doing wrong rather than saying its crashing cos you haven't inserted the flash correct.

The fact that the home page crashed too where the image gallery isn't leads me to think that is something to do with these 3 lines

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/mootools.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/caption.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
window.addEvent('domready', function(){ var JTooltips = new Tips($$('.hasTip'), { maxTitleChars: 50, fixed: false}); });
  </script>
moo tools i know is a common library so should work with swfobject 1.5, caption.js probably uses moo tools and is probably doing something to crash it in IE.

Try removing moo tools and caption.js and see if the home page loads in IE. post back if there is any difference.

Good luck!

huzefa_husain
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by huzefa_husain » Thu May 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Hey
my flash banner is running only in Firefox but not in Internet explorer, only it can be seen on the frontpage of IE but not in inside pages.

Plz give me the solution if u have, i really need that !

PagerMan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by PagerMan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:58 am

huzefa_husain, may be you FF Flash plugin and IE Flash plugin has different versions. But your swf file needs lasted verstion, that installed only in FF (for example).

prateekshaweb
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by prateekshaweb » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:45 am

there is a plugin / component called denvideo ... it display all videos and swf files.

since it is a plugin u can use it in your page content.

no javascript, no script.... simple {denvideo url, width, height autostart}

it automatically generates the javascript - swfobject after processing.
Sumeet Shroff
PSD to Joomla, Joomla Custom Template Design and Virtuemart Shopping Cart
http://www.prateeksha.com http://www.joomlawebsitedesigners.com

phoenixbits_com
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by phoenixbits_com » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:42 pm

sandhipan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sandhipan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 am

I think the problem may be due to insertion of UTF8 codes. If you are putting text directly into the editor, some characters are getting generated that is not parsed. Hence the design is getting disrupted.

cobarde
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cobarde » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:02 pm

timdavies wrote:can you show us where its going wrong, i have put flash in loads of joomla sites with no problems
"Loads"? Can you help me insert just one? I go to existing article, clic on the film icon, write in the path to to the SWF clip, save and a box appears in the editing field with the standard "f" swf icon in the middle. On the front end, an empty white box appears with the dimentions I had specified.

I won't be offended if you give you me child like instructions. I wanted to attach my swf to this, but I get a "not allowed" notice. If it'll help you help me, you can email me and I'll send it to you: rraymon4@yahoo.com
I'm new at this, but look what I've done groping in the dark, trail and error etc. http://www.dintel.gov.do
Hope you can help, cheers Richar
P.S. I've read through this thread, but I have too many doubts n questions about stuff explaind here.

elyscia_19
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by elyscia_19 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:33 am

Good day! I have a problem in inserting a .swf in the joomla articles, I used the embedded media icon...and edited the dimensions..I can even see the preview then I inserted it...but after saving it...it did not appear...why is this....pls help me!!!

FBAEMJ
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by FBAEMJ » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:29 am

i also had the problem and haven't found a solution yet, so every time i convert swf to flv, then upload to [youtube] and embed the code to my site, but this may have the disturbing of copyright issue, so i also use flowplayer which is free. if your swf file is made by yourself everything will be fine!

elarda
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by elarda » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:13 pm

I have a single banner picture size 635x150 with file name...header_short.jpg. Now, I created 4 different pictures in flash and want to insert it in place of that single banner picture. Shall I name my flash file the same and only change the extension into swf or I have to do some other ways. Thanks.

LAMF
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by LAMF » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:19 pm

This one works absolutely perfect:

AllVideos (plugin) http://www.joomlaworks.gr/content/view/35/41/

kauaitravel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kauaitravel » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:56 pm

I inserted a swf file through the film strip icon and in window to choose the file, it previewed fine. I clicked insert and there was an outline of the file on the editor but then when I save it and then go to the page, there is nothing where the flash file should be. When I go back and open the page in the editor, there is also nothing there where I had inserted the flash file. Can anyone help me on this?

sclg
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sclg » Wed May 19, 2010 7:44 pm

kauaitravel wrote:I inserted a swf file through the film strip icon and in window to choose the file, it previewed fine. I clicked insert and there was an outline of the file on the editor but then when I save it and then go to the page, there is nothing where the flash file should be. When I go back and open the page in the editor, there is also nothing there where I had inserted the flash file. Can anyone help me on this?
I have EXACTLY this problem too. For some reason the JCE 'Insert media' button has stopped working properly. As you say, it embeds the code but when you save, it strips out the object tags.
It used to work so I don't know what's changed.

Steve

ncds
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ncds » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:19 am

I'm having a similar issue. Loading in J1.5.18 with the follow code. The files are uploaded in the right place. Absolutly nothing happens to the page. No outline or displacement of other items. Its as if it not on the page at all.

Any pointers would be helpful

Micheal

<script type="text/javascript">
AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc ... le','Arana Steel images','src','images/arana_steel_banner_cs3','quality','high','pluginspage','http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download ... banner_cs3' ); //end AC code
</script><noscript><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc ... n=9,0,28,0" width="400" height="198" title="Arana Steel images">
<param name="movie" value="images/arana_steel_banner_cs3.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="images/arana_steel_banner_cs3.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download ... kwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="198"></embed>
</object></noscript>

kerkira78
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kerkira78 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm

I am using joomla 1.6 and i am having exaclty the same problem. I insert the swf file using the button, i check the code and i can see the object, but when i save it, removes the object .

any help on that...

Jo80
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jo80 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 pm

I have the same problem. Inserting swf, click save, editor is going empty. No matter if I put code direct in html-view, or if I use swf-insert-button with Url.
It seems to be a probem with the editor.
Hey admins, any new there about this? Please help!

sog2012
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sog2012 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:34 am

LAMF wrote:This one works absolutely perfect:

AllVideos (plugin) http://www.joomlaworks.gr/content/view/35/41/
AllVideos has my vote too, works great and very easy to use. :D
Best wishes and God bless.

jzeleny
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jzeleny » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:38 pm

reelcompanies wrote:Hello,
I am very new to joomla. It has been about 1 week and I cannot seem to overcome this obstacle.
I want to insert a Flash swf that is 650x350 into the center - body -container.

How do i do it? The file is uploade into the server. Typically in the past I have been using the embed and object tag(s) to have the movie load and display. It has been in the lines of code that you point to the movie file using an absolute path.

Please, any input is appreciated. I guees I am not grasping the flow of this CMS just yet.

Thank YOU. :( :(
I found a fix for this issue. All you have to do is go into your article options or globals from the article manager and change the filtering for your user type (for example: super administrator or super user).
If it says blacklist on your user type in joomla 1.6, just change it to no filtering. In Joomla 1.5 you can use the following fix http://docs.joomla.org/Why_does_some_HT ... n_1.5.8%3F

hope this helps

bazlowski
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bazlowski » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:13 am

Just insert this script into your article ...

Make sure you have uploaded your swf file to your server along with the swfobject.js
that comes when publishing in flash. make sure you change the name of banner.swf to match
your file name ...

<object data="flash/banner.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="413" width="745">
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="opaque" />
<param name="swfversion" value="6.0.65.0" />
<param name="expressinstall" value="/Scripts/expressInstall.swf" />
<param name="src" value="flash/banner.swf" />
</object>

dadarkdragon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dadarkdragon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi EVERYONE,

I'm not sure but this module might help you solve your problem?

Custom HTML Advanced
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ules/16359

Easily add custom HTML code within a module position with Custom HTML Advanced module for Joomla!

Compared to standard mod_custom it has the following features:

* No filtering (even for script tags);
* Override module position chrome to remove unwanted wrapping HTML code around the module;
* Add custom CSS code into HTML header for pages where the module is enabled.

Especially useful for:

* Advertisement code (such as AdSense or adBrite);
* Placing custom Javascript code within the page.

sphysician
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sphysician » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:43 am

Is there a way to do this within a Joomla header? Im going for this fireworks affect for example: http://www.volusiacountyfair.com

Return to “Administration 1.5”