Page 3 of 61

yvComment - v.1.5 released with Smiley support

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:44 pm
by yvolk
Smiley support was added in this version. To have Smileys support in yvComment, please install yvSmiley extension.

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:51 am
by damaris
Hi,
how is the right way to insert the newest version?
I installed the version of 19. July, work finely, then i got the versionwarning.
I deinstalled 1.5.1, got warning:" JFTP::delete: Bad response " at component and plugin.
I installed 1.5.2 and there is another versionwarning.
Now it does not work anymore!

$Id: CHANGELOG.php 7357
Php: Savemode: on

Thank you!
Damaris
(Sorry my english is not very good)

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:56 pm
by yvolk
Hi, Damaris!
I tested v.1.5.2 on latest build - it works ok... but it doesn't work for "Old Beta"  :)
I fixed yvComment to work in Beta 2 also, so please test v.1.5.3 of yvComment or/and move to the new nightly build.
damaris wrote: I installed 1.5.2 and there is another versionwarning.
Now it does not work anymore!

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:45 am
by damaris
yvolk wrote:
Thanks for answer and fixing. I did not find a update to a newer Beta-Version of Joomla!.
Your Version 1.5.1 works allready good. I think i will update if you include a Captcha tool for guests becorse i had to make a translation to german and other little changes in default.php

Now I have troubles with registration but I dont know why?

Thank you for publish this extension! Its great!

Damaris

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:39 pm
by yvolk
damaris wrote: I did not find a update to a newer Beta-Version of Joomla!.
See http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/ - Joomla! 1.5RC1
damaris wrote: Your Version 1.5.1 works allready good. I think i will update if you include a Captcha tool for guests because i had to make a translation to german and other little changes in default.php
We thought, that Captcha tool will be a separate plugin, and yvComment will use it. CoolAcid started this work (see his message above), but I didn't hear any news from him lately.
I think, it will be better, if you translate today's version now and don't wait for some major upgrade, so German-speaking people will have it now  :)
damaris wrote: Now I have troubles with registration but I don't know why?
yvComment doesn't require any registration. I didn't get, what registration are you talking about?  :-\

yvComment - v.1.6 supports Captha

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:48 pm
by yvolk
Captcha support was added in version 1.6. To have Captcha support in yvComment, please install OSTWigits - Captcha extension - many thanks to CoolAcid for it!
That Captcha plugin, though, needs some improvements. E.g. I can confirm, that it is too difficult to recognize "secret word" without error  :(

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:24 am
by netmax
Hi there,

I can´t even install this to Joomla 1.5RC1  :(

Do you have any idea?

        *

          Database errors:
          Error message: "You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIKE jos_content)' at line 1 SQL=CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)"
          SQL="CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)"
        * Component Install: Custom install routine failure

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:06 pm
by yvolk
netmax wrote:           Database errors:
          Error message: "You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIKE jos_content)' at line 1 SQL=CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)"
          SQL="CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)"
As I may suggest, reading these words from MySQL manual:
In MySQL 4.1, you can also use LIKE to create an empty table based on the definition of another table, including any column attributes and indexes the original table has:
CREATE TABLE new_tbl LIKE orig_tbl;
- you have MySQL version < 4.1
If I am right, please upgrade your MySQL Server  :) (v.4.1.0 is dated 03 April 2003)

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:47 pm
by netmax
Yes, 4.0.25. It´s a managed server, so i can´t upgrade this. Curious, every other - complex - stuff runs ... Joomla 1.5, vB 3.6.8 ...

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:25 pm
by yvolk
netmax wrote: Yes, 4.0.25. It´s a managed server, so i can´t upgrade this. Curious, every other - complex - stuff runs ... Joomla 1.5, vB 3.6.8 ...
By the way, "PHP 4 end of life" was announced recently...

What's about yvComment, you may easily modify the package to install without errors - just find and delete these lines:

Code: Select all

$query = 'CREATE TABLE #__yvcomment (LIKE #__content)';
$db->setQuery($query);
$Ok = $db->query();
- from the file yvCommentComponent1.06.004.zip\www\administrator\components\com_yvcomment\install.yvcomment.php

In this case you will have to "use content table" in config (because jos_yvcomment would not be created), - and that is preferred option, IMHO.

PS: GoDaddy may give you MySql 5 and PHP5 for $4 per month...

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:49 pm
by thepisu
Hi! I installed yvComment on Joomla 1.5 RC1. When posting a comment, I receive this error page:

500 - An error has occured
An error has occurred while processing your request.
Please try one of the following pages:
    * Home Page
If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.
Layout "blog" not found

What's on?

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:24 pm
by swiftly
I dont like the approuch of putting comments into the content table. As has been said before other checks and tools are needed for commenting. Also I dont like the dirty content table. What happens if by accident an author of my site uses the comment category/section for an article that i wrote? It will be published without check of the administrator or editor?

But still interesting to see your view on this. i will follow the developement.
And i am glad you are making something for J!1.5!!!
Thanks

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:35 am
by Stian
yvolk,

I just installed your component and it works like a charm. Great work so far!!

I have a few feature requests, though, that I would love to see in future versions. Maybe they have been mentioned before, but anyway...

1. The ability to add custom fields (or turn on/off predefined ones)
Sometimes name, subject and comment is not enough. What about email, website url, AIM and so forth? I guess you would have to use an additional table for these, as there is no "room" in the content table for them.

2. The ability to turn of the check for reserved names (admin, editor etc.)
I have quite a lot of admins and editors at my site, registered with their full name. Now they can't use either full, first- or lastname when entering a quick comment while surfing the site. An alternative could be to turn this check of if they are logged in, either backend or frontend. I don't use the frontend login, so they need to be a check for backend login as well.

3. Email notifications
Fire of an email to the author of the article (or some other predefined adress(es)) when someone comments on it. That way they can also quickly catch those intances when a users uses a reserved name, such as admin or editor.

3. Client side check when form submitted
In addition to the server side check of name, subject etc. I would like to see a JavaScript checking the same things first.

What do you think?

This component is just what I need for my site, so I'll be glad to help out if you need it. What about a Norwegian language file?

Best, Stian

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:33 pm
by Stian
Another thing:

when the plugin is not published the code below returns either "section", "category" or "article":

Code: Select all

$type = JRequest::get('get');
echo $type['view'];
When the plugin is published it always returns "comment". I need this variable in my template, and after publishing the yvComment plugin it's useless.

Anyone know a workaround? I need to know if an article is displayed...

Stian

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:38 pm
by swiftly
When someone comments, in the article manager the writer of the article is put as a not linked (to user) name (name not username).

Also, is this yvcomment also possible to integrate with Community builder (see all comments in member profile and link from commenter to his profile.)?

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:37 pm
by smokeyjones
Just installed yvComment plus captcha on latest svn build but after publishing the plugin i get this error above any articles regardless of which sections have been 'comment enabled'.
Warning: Missing argument 2 for JPlugin::__construct(), called in /home2/******/public_html/***/plugins/content/yvcomment.php on line 60 and defined in /home2/******/public_html/***/libraries/joomla/event/plugin.php on line 59
Any ideas?

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:10 am
by chagran
Hi,

I just installed yvComment and Captcha and everything works well, thanks a lot for that good plugin. But I have a small question:

- How can I hide the comment form? I do not want to keep the form opened after a comment is inserted.

Thanks a lot

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:28 pm
by quiquedcode
@yvolk
Take me into account in case you make your component multi-lang. I'll translate the lang file

Good luck and keep the good work

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:00 pm
by CoolAcid
Hey - If anyone is using the captcha  plugin, I'd like to know.. PM or email me.

Thanks!

Re: I dont like the approuch of putting comments into the content table

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:51 am
by yvolk
swiftly wrote: I dont like the approuch of putting comments into the content table. As has been said before other checks and tools are needed for commenting. Also I dont like the dirty content table. What happens if by accident an author of my site uses the comment category/section for an article that i wrote? It will be published without check of the administrator or editor?

But still interesting to see your view on this.
My view on extending content table is in this message. I'm still sure creating separate table for different "type of content" is a dead-end track.

What's about permissions: I think, that this problem should be resolved by improved Joomla! access rights system (that is planned for the next release of Joomla!, as far as I know, see 'access and Right-Management').

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:08 am
by yvolk
Stian wrote: I have a few feature requests, though, that I would love to see in future versions. Maybe they have been mentioned before, but anyway...

1. The ability to add custom fields (or turn on/off predefined ones)
Sometimes name, subject and comment is not enough. What about email, website url, AIM and so forth? I guess you would have to use an additional table for these, as there is no "room" in the content table for them.
We're thinking about this now, custom (or optional) fileds may be added to the metadata field of content table.
Stian wrote: 2. The ability to turn of the check for reserved names (admin, editor etc.)
I have quite a lot of admins and editors at my site, registered with their full name. Now they can't use either full, first- or lastname when entering a quick comment while surfing the site. An alternative could be to turn this check of if they are logged in, either backend or frontend. I don't use the frontend login, so they need to be a check for backend login as well.
I agree and will implement this.
Stian wrote: 3. Email notifications
Fire of an email to the author of the article (or some other predefined adress(es)) when someone comments on it. That way they can also quickly catch those intances when a users uses a reserved name, such as admin or editor.
This work is in progress (notification of site admin only as a first step...).
What's about "notifications of authors of articles", I think this function should use some Joomla! core "notification" capability (if there is any...). I didn't dig into this yet. May you find information, how to implement this in "Joomla! native way"?
Stian wrote: 3. Client side check when form submitted
In addition to the server side check of name, subject etc. I would like to see a JavaScript checking the same things first.
Agree. May you help me to create such script?
Stian wrote: This component is just what I need for my site, so I'll be glad to help out if you need it. What about a Norwegian language file?
Of cause, translate them (3 files!) and send them to my email!

Re: yvComment - How can I hide the comment form?

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:15 am
by yvolk
chagran wrote: - How can I hide the comment form? I do not want to keep the form opened after a comment is inserted.
I will have to add this feature to yvComment, so, by default, "Add your comment" form will be hidden ('collapsed node' with 'Add your comment' link).

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:20 am
by yvolk
smokeyjones wrote: Just installed yvComment plus captcha on latest svn build but after publishing the plugin i get this error above any articles regardless of which sections have been 'comment enabled'.
Warning: Missing argument 2 for JPlugin::__construct(), called in /home2/******/public_html/***/plugins/content/yvcomment.php on line 60 and defined in /home2/******/public_html/***/libraries/joomla/event/plugin.php on line 59
Any ideas?
JPlugin::__construct() parameter list changed since Joomla! 1.5 RC1, so I need to update yvComment  :-\
It seems, that if I adapt my code to the latest svn, it won't work for Joomla! 1.5 RC1...

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:33 pm
by swiftly
I have one request.

would you please make an option to put the username instead of the name of the erson that comments?!!

I feel, it is a bit a privacy matter in some sites to post a name (especially in CB build in suites, which say the name will not be published on the website!)

Thanks

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:15 pm
by robiw
Using 1.5RC2 new installation. When installing component get:-

CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)
Error: 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'LIKE jos_content)' at line 1

Have tried manually adding table with above command and get same error.

Might be related to SQL installation error received reported on other board.

System Config:-
PHP Built on:  Linux uk-server1 2.4.31 #2 Thu Jun 16 04:07:48 BST 2005 i686
Database Version: 3.23.58
Database Collation: N/A (mySQL < 4.1.2)
PHP Version: 4.4.1
Web Server: Apache/1.3.34 (Unix) PHP/4.4.1 mod_perl/1.29 FrontPage/4.0.4.3
Web Server to PHP interface: apache
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.0 Production/Stable [ Endeleo ] 1-September-2007 15:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6
----RobiW

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:06 am
by yvolk
robiw wrote: Using 1.5RC2 new installation. When installing component get:-
CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)
Error: 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'LIKE jos_content)' at line 1
Hi, this error was described earlier in this thread, see http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg941364.
BTW, current version of yvComment (1.6.5) was not tested with RC2, I'll have to make some changes...

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:35 pm
by rufuz
I love the extension mainly because it has a "no frills" look and it works.

I'm not interested to play with comments, actually and in the future, I only want comments to stay there and I don't need any "exotic management" of them like posting recent posts in frontpage, reply to comments... etc. In my site commenting must be simple and immediate, I will have a forum for more complex comunication tasks.

For that reason I'm using a separate table for comments, and I really appreaciate you made this option available. But I can read from your posts this approach is "a dead end track". 

I'm just trying to guess what do you mean, and my question is if you are going to remove this option from future releases, I hope not  :-\

thx, and let me say you are doing a great work!  ;)

ricc.

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:48 am
by yvolk
rufuz wrote: For that reason I'm using a separate table for comments, and I really appreciate you made this option available. But I can read from your posts this approach is "a dead end track". 

I'm just trying to guess what do you mean, and my question is if you are going to remove this option from future releases, I hope not  :-\
Hi, Ricc!

1. When I wrote about using separate table as "a dead end track", I meant, that this way is wrong as a strategic path for future development. So, the "features" of yvComment will be restricted, when site Admin decide not to "Use Content Table".
For you this is just what you want, so you may continue to use this option.

2. I know, that users really need an option to have separate table for comments (just because they want  :)), so I will continue to support it.

And thank you very much for your comment.
--
Yuri

yvComment v.1.7 - Author Name Linkable

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:09 am
by yvolk
Hello, everybody!  :D v.1.7 of yvComment is released. As always, I'm waiting for your feedback!

In this version:
1. Fixed code to work with Joomla! 1.5 RC2. Now yvComment doesn't work with older builds of Joomla!

2. Added option "Username of Guest". This user, (specified by his Username), will become Author of all comments, created by guests. Joomla! doesn't have built-in Guest user account, so you have to create such user yourself. Guest account has to be in Author group and may be disabled (to prevent logging on with this account). Setting this option is required for consistency with "general Articles" of Joomla!

3. Added option "Check guest name" ('Yes' by default) to turn on or off check: if guest's alias ("Your name" field) is part of any registered user's name.

4. Added option "Author Name Linkable". If enabled, name of the comment's author becomes a link to his (or her) Web page.
  4.1 For registered users, the URL of the link is taken from the "Web URL" field of the Contact, "Linked to User" (associated with this user). Standard Joomla! way to do this is to use "Contact Manager" in the backend: menu->Components->Contacts->Contacts.
  4.2 If you enabled guests to add comments, and you want to allow guest to add link to his (or her) Web page to the comment, you have to set "Allow guests to link to a site" option also. This link is stored in the "metadata" field of the comment.
Please note, that due to the known bug in Joomla! core (see Topic: Extending metadata of Articles (Poor implementation of content metadata saving)) if you edit existing Comment from the backend using Joomla! "Article Manager", this link would be erased. So don't use "Article Manager" in the backend to edit comments, made by guests, in conjunction with this option. We're lucky, that this bug doesn't exist for editing Comment with Joomla! Editor from frontend!

5. Changed. Captcha (if enabled) is shown for guests only.

6. Added translations:
  Danish translation (Thanks to Peter Schlüter).
  Dutch translation (Thanks to Wim Strik).
  Spanish translation (Thanks to Enrique F. Becerra).

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:15 am
by yvolk
Stian wrote: when the plugin is not published the code below returns either "section", "category" or "article":

Code: Select all

$type = JRequest::get('get');
echo $type['view'];
When the plugin is published it always returns "comment". I need this variable in my template, and after publishing the yvComment plugin it's useless.
Hi, Stian!
This problem was fixed in yvComment v.1.7
Now yvComment Plugin restores "view" and "layout" variables of JRequest (see file /www/plugins/content/yvcomment.php).

Thank you for your report!